11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2010 2:33 PM by westonwoodbury

Workspaces..

UlfLaursen Level 2

Hi

I have 2 x 24" monitors that I run PPRO CS5 on.

I would like some inspiration on how to organize my screens for normal editing in a good and efficient way. If anybody would have a screendump of a dual screen workspace that works for you I would be much greatfull.

Btw. is it possible to share workspaces from one PC to another? I think I recall that I did something like that in PPRO 2.0 but not sure.

Thanks.

/Ulf

• 1. Re: Workspaces..
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The layout I was trained on (and still prefer) is to have bins and effects on the left hand (primary) monitor, with the Source, Program and Audio on top of the right (secondary) monitor, with the timeline below those.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Workspaces..
            Harm Millaard Level 7

27-8-2010 10-23-19.png

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Workspaces..
              Powered by Design Level 4

Harm ?

Its always interesting to see what others have on their systems.

I recognize all the icons except the 2 little clapboard ones and the UL one and the red/blue arrows one.

What are those if you dont mind.

• 4. Re: Workspaces..
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Glenn,

The left clapboard is Media Player Classic, the other one, next to ScLive is Movie Outline, a scripting tool.

UL is Ultra CS3, next to that one is Beyond Compare.

Here is the rest:

27-8-2010 18-28-34.png

• 5. Re: Workspaces..
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ulf,

The first thing that I would suggest would be to look into the existing Workspaces. They will probably open with ganged Panes/Panels in your monitor 1, but study how they are arranged. Pull them apart, and think about each one's potential, say the Audio Workspace. Play with undocking and ganging, and look at your potential placements. When you hit one that just works for you, Save_As_Custom_Workspace, say Ulf_Audio.

In general, my basic dual-monitor layout is Timeline on the left monitor, along with my Source Monitor, my Audio Mixer and my Effects Control Panels ganged above. I have Info and History ganged to the side. One monitor 2, I have my Effects Panel expanded down the left edge, with my Program Monitor, my Project Panel and my Titler all expanded to almost the full remaining monitor. I tile these, so that I have the header of each, visible and just click the one that I need at that moment.

I also have one Workspace, where the Effects Control Panel occupies the entire top of my monitor 1, and then similar layouts to above. Same for my Audio Tools and Panels.

I alternate through these, depending on what I am doing.

BTW - my monitor 1 is my left 21" and my monitor 2 is my right 21". Works fine for me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Workspaces..
                    jkosmicki Level 2

Since Nvidia first ruined Nview and now killed it (at least for GeForce), I've been searching without success for a good way to manage 2 monitors. What seems to work OK for Premiere and AE is to run the application maximized in the left monitor, then have a full-screen floating palette for the right screen:

screen-layout.jpg

This way windows open centered on the left monitor instead of between the 2 monitors. On the right I have the timeline on the bottom and the effects control on top. The only real problem so far is Colorista II does not work properly in a floating palette and when I adjust the Colorista settings I need to temporary place the effects control panel on the left monitor.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Workspaces..
                      UlfLaursen Level 2

Thanks a lot guys!

/Ulf

• 8. Re: Workspaces..
                        shooternz Level 6

For CS5 - I run the entire UI in a single 27" Monitor

(basically the stock Edit Workspace) ....and the second monitor is entirely taken up as a full screen play back Monitor ( 16:9 HD)

I have custom Workspace for FX (Colorista II mainly) and a custom for Audio Mixing.

and

CS3/4 I have 2 x 24" Monitors utilised as the UI workspace.

Screen 1 is: , Source Monitor, Program Monitor and timeline below (full width.)  Tools and Info pane in the corner.

Screen 2 is : Project Window, FX, Audio Mixer. :  I switch this to full screen play back Monitor as well

• 9. Re: Workspaces..
                          westonwoodbury Level 1

I've tried many different crazy setups for Premiere and other adobe apps, but I've settled on making the timeline full screen in the 2nd screen.  It comes really really handy with the fact that you have to enlarge tracks significantly to get any accuracy out of rubberbanding--which is vital both in audio levels/panning, and video opacity.

I leave the whole bottom half of the 1st screen for 2 tabs; audio mixer and Effect controls, for the same reason when playing with effect ramping.

-

An alternative that I use once in a while is to do it Avid MC style and reserve all of one screen for media management (folders, bins etc).  Depending on the project, this can be the way to go.  The cool thing is you can set everything up for specific uses, save it as a workspace, and easily flip through them to do whatever you want to do at the time.  I typically have at least a dual screen Audio, dual screen Editing, and dual screen Color grading layout saved, to easily switch to.

- wb

• 10. Re: Workspaces..
                            shooternz Level 6
                            I've tried many different crazy setups for Premiere and other adobe apps, but I've settled on making the timeline full screen in the 2nd screen.  It comes really really handy with the fact that you have to enlarge tracks significantly to get any accuracy out of rubberbanding--which is vital both in audio levels/panning, and video opacity.

A nice little trick that maybe you are not aware of,  is to use the tilde key  " ~ " to expand any window (pane) from its base location.  Including the Timeline.

• 11. Re: Workspaces..
                              westonwoodbury Level 1

Yes, I do use "~" quite often, especially handy in AFX.  I love that feature  .

I guess I prefer the timeline FS at all times though, similar to why some prefer a monitor full screen at all times.

- wb