8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2010 9:26 AM by the_wine_snob

MPEG-2 Frame Rate Issue on Import

jcorsico

Hi -

I'm having an issue importing MPEG-2 files into Premiere Elements 7.  Specifically, Premiere screws up the frame rate.  Here's the workflow:

1)  Generate MPEG-2 file using a harsh environment flash drive recorder and remote bullet camera (see www.stackltd.com).  The video is a standard 720x480 capture, at 29.97 fps and 10 mbps.

2)  Download to PC

3)  Import file to Elements (using the add file from PC option)

4)  When the file is initially added, Elements correctly identifies the frame rate at 29.97 fps

5)  Elements then "indexes" the file.  When it is finished indexing, it adjusts the frame rate to 20.00 fps

If I use the file with the frame rate set at 20.00 fps, the playback is choppy and slow (but the audio is fine).

If I use the "Interpret Footage" option to force the frame rate to 29.97 fps, the video then plays fine, but the audio is accelerated (higher pitch) and no longer synced with the video.  The audio will end about 2/3 of the way through the video...

Any recommendations?

Windows Media Player will play the MPEG files fine - I even purchased the MPEG decoder from NVIDIA (which works quite well - videos look and play great).  This is only a problem with Elements.

Thanks,

Jon

• 1. Re: MPEG-2 Frame Rate Issue on Import
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What project settings are you using when you open your new project in Premiere Elements?

Why are you not using Premiere Elements Media Downloader to add the video to your project from your camcorder?

• 2. Re: MPEG-2 Frame Rate Issue on Import
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jon,

Welcome to the forum.

Along with Steve's comments and questions, let's do a test. In PrE, use Interpret Footage on one of those Clips. You should be able to "force" PrE to see the Clip as 29.97 FPS. What happens then?

PrE tries to read the "flags," in a video file, but sometimes cannot get the proper info, for various reasons. Interpret Footage, will basically tell PrE to ignore the flags that it found, and to see the footage per your camera's shooting settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: MPEG-2 Frame Rate Issue on Import
              jcorsico Level 1

Steve -

I'm using the Hard Disk / Flash Memory Recorder setting, Standard at 48 kHz.

I haven't tried using the media downloader in Premiere.  My recorder isn't a camcorder - it's a CF Card based harsh environment recording unit, which uses a remote camera head on a cable (which is seperate from the recorder).  To download the video onto my PC, I remove the CF Card from the recording unit, and then use Windows Explorer to copy the files to my local hard drive.

Thanks

Jon

• 4. Re: MPEG-2 Frame Rate Issue on Import
                jcorsico Level 1

Hunt -

If I use "Interpret Footage", the video is then displayed correctly, but the audio gets screwed up - basically, it speeds up.

Although I can't tell for sure, it seems that the frame rate issue is only associated with the video, and that Premiere correctly recognizes the audio.

Jon

• 5. Re: MPEG-2 Frame Rate Issue on Import
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jon,

What is the Sample-Rate and the Bit-Depth of your recorded Audio?

What format/CODEC is it recorded in?

Are you Audio and Video streams muxed into one file?

I think that I might have a "fix" for you, but need to know a bit more, before I bore you with it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: MPEG-2 Frame Rate Issue on Import
                    jcorsico Level 1

Bill -

The sample rate and bit depth of the recorded audio are:

256kbps

I'm not sure of the sample rate.

The format/CODEC of the audio recording is:

MPEG-1, Layer 2 (note the video is recorded in MPEG-2)

The audio and video streams are mixed into a single file.

Thanks again,

Jon

• 7. Re: MPEG-2 Frame Rate Issue on Import
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you considered converting the clip to a DV-AVI, per the FAQs to the right of this forum?

Programs like MPEG Streamclip will turn it into a 29.97 fps AVI that should load right into Premiere Elements using the standard DV project presets.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 8. Re: MPEG-2 Frame Rate Issue on Import
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe NLE's have issues with MPEG Audio, especially when muxed.

Steve's suggestion should also fix everything, as you will end up with a DV-AVI Type II file WITH the 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio

For fixing Audio, I always recommend ripping the Audio from such a file. I use Adobe Audition, but the great, free audio-editor, Audacity, can do this too. When you have the MPEG Audio from your muxed AV file in the audio-editor, just do a Save_As and choose PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit. Then Import this WAV file into PrE and drag it from the Project Panel to another Audio Track. Align it with the Video, and then probably Alt-click on the muxed Audio Clip and Delete. One could also go to Window>Audio Mixer, and just Mute that Audio, leaving it on its Audio Track. If one knows that they will not be using that for anything, then I would just Delete it. This does NOT affect the original source AV file in any way. If you have cut that Clip into smaller segments, then the Mute for that Track is probably the easiest.

I will do this ripping and replacing BEFORE I do any editing, as it makes life much easier.

Good luck, and hope that this helps.

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - restructured layout of post