9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2011 1:53 PM by avidjen

Edit & export audio segments as separate files?

Kevin Q Baird

Hi,

I'm cutting up recordings of PowerPoint presentations into separate clips, one per slide.  I am wondering how I can edit on the timeline, then mark each slide, master the audio, and export one clip per marker.  Is that segmenting done from Premiere, or is it an option to export one file per marker within Media Encoder? How?

Or, do I need to use subclips instead? Please don't say I need to do a sequence for each slide (or would that be less messy than it sounds?).

Or should I do this editing in Soundbooth instead, since the editing is basically audio-driven? How's segmenting done there?

Thanks!

>B

• 1. Re: Edit & export audio segments as separate files?
          shooternz Level 6

Is there a particular reason that you are needing to export the audio as segments?

Otherwise... all you do is place the work area bar (WAB) over the section you wish to export and then ensure that the Export >WAB  box is checked.

I am still curious why you need to do this and I am wondering about your workflow.

• 2. Re: Edit & export audio segments as separate files?
            Kevin Q Baird Level 1

The individual sounds need to be imported back into PowerPoint and attached to separate slides so a new audio-laden PPT can exist as it was presented.

I'd like to keep all the segments defined within the project file and export the batch en masse, not one at a time. I could do that tedium in Camtasia.

• 3. Re: Edit & export audio segments as separate files?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

For a batch export, you may  have to go with the sequence for each slide option.

• 4. Re: Edit & export audio segments as separate files?
                Kevin Q Baird Level 1

Wow, with over 100 slides in a deck, that's definitely not the correct answer.

If I could get a Mac in my office, Final Cut Pro would be the correct answer. I need a correct Windows7 answer. It's gotta be possible, right?

• 5. Re: Edit & export audio segments as separate files?
                  shooternz Level 6

The individual sounds need to be imported back into PowerPoint and attached to separate slides so a new audio-laden PPT can exist as it was presented.

Why not do it the other way round.

Import the Slides into PPRO and edit to the audio track then export as a movie ( DVD).

I have just completed three of them that way.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Edit & export audio segments as separate files?
                    Kevin Q Baird Level 1

That's a great idea! Unfortunately, they need to live as PPT files, for future revisions. As slides get inserted, deleted, edited, their audio narrations will be re-recorded from then onward. (Yeah, I know their variaion of audio quality from slide to slide over time will be weird.)

Thanks for your suggestion!

• 7. Re: Edit & export audio segments as separate files?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Final Cut Pro would be the correct answer.

Yeah, but then you'd actually have to work on a Mac.   And nobody really wants that.

• 8. Re: Edit & export audio segments as separate files?
                        Kevin Q Baird Level 1

But, unfortunately, it's becoming apparent that Final Cut Pro is where to turn for this seemingly simple task. Please prove me wrong!

• 9. Re: Edit & export audio segments as separate files?
                          avidjen

Hi Kevin -

It's funny...  We are doing the exact same thing that you are.  We are recording webinars, chunking up the audio into individual files according to PPT slides, and putting the audio back into the PPT presentation so they can be played back as the presentation initially aired.  We're also exporting the reconstituted presentations as standalone webcasts that people watch online.

Okay - here's how we're doing it...  I record the webinar's audio and video (Camtasia for audio and GoToWebinar's built-in .WMV recorder for video).  I make a new project in Premiere and import both the video and audio.  I only use the .wmv for visual reference (to know exactly where to split the long audio clip).  I go through the audio clip and do an Alt + [ to mark the left side of the work area (essentially the In point) and Alt + ] to mark the right slide of the work area (essentially the Out point).  I then split the clip at the out point (Control + K) in case I have to go back and re-edit or re-export later.  Once I have my slide's audio marked with a work area, I go to file, export, media.  This launches Adobe Media Encoder.  In AME, I make .mp3s of each slide's audio.  I then reinsert the .mp3s in the PPT presentation.

What I would LIKE to do is put chapter or Flash markers at the end of each slide's audio and then have it chunk up the clips for me based on the markers.  The quest to do that led me to this post.  I'll let you know if I find out any info on how to do that, but for now, the process is pretty manual and time-consuming.  I am a long-time Avid editor, and that offers no solution either.  What have you found with Final Cut?

Something also that may work for you (but not for us for various reasons) is iSpring Presenter's sync function.  This allows you to bring in the entire audio clip and put it on the first PPT slide.  Then you click a stopwatch icon when the audio is supposed to go to a different slide.  This syncs up your audio and PPT for you.  No more Premiere.  Here is specific info on how to do that.  It works great.  We don't use it because we have to cut back into the presentation with live audio.  But it may work great for what you're doing.

http://www.ispringsolutions.com/kb/faq/pro/42.html