19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 6:48 AM by nathapushpa

Top of the Heap

Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

The PPBM5 Website Bill and Harm put together offers a great reference for system builders wanting to get the best editing computer for their money. I wrote an article yesterday on my personal business Website with a couple of links to the PPBM5 site.

It looks like the ADK Juggernaught is at the top of lthe PPBM5 list now.  Look at the specs on that system!  Dual Xeon's overclocked, 48GB of RAM and a top end Quadro card. I wonder if those are 600GB Raptors in the Raid?

A new dual Xeon Mac Pro with only one upgrade option for their top end processor comes in at $6199. That price just includes just one internal hard drive. I would really LOVE to see an editing performance/speed/rendering/export comparison between a tricked out Mac using Final Cut and ADK's Juggernaught using Premiere CS5 with the Mercury Playback Engine in the "on" setting. So far, I haven't seen ANY such comparison. One wouldn't have to get too fancy or scientific, just use the same hi-def footage for both systems sitting side-by-side and have a couple of guys hit the mouse after "ready set go". One could test rendering speed, export speed to various formats etc.

Does anyone know if Final Cut is limited to a maximum video pixel dimension?  I know in Premiere, one has the option of using the "Desktop" sequence mode.

• 1. Re: Top of the Heap
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Raptor Raid 5 array was 8x600GB  Vraptor drives as you suspected. We have a Mac Pro in Queue but I believe it's for audio and does not have Final Cut. If we finalize 1 of 2 quotes that I have out now for several Mac Pro's with Final Cut I will run some comparison testing. Otherwise I will have to wait till the next Mac Pro order. Mac Pro's with Final Cut sales calls are getting rare at this point.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Top of the Heap

My gut feeling is, the ADK Juggernaught would deliver a crushing defeat to the top-end Mac using Final Cut.  I think the Log and Transfer feature alone would do the Mac in. I am anxious to see the numbers... Sugar Ray vs Thomas Hearns or Mike Tyson vs Spinks

I'm thinking Tyson vs Spinks.  But... Life can be full of surprises.

• 3. Re: Top of the Heap

I just realized I misspelled Juggernaut in the output file I sent Harm. Sorry about that. I will have him fix it

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Top of the Heap
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Corrected.

• 5. Re: Top of the Heap
                  JaysonM-Y Level 3

I agree with you there Chuck. Once again I rage how Apple let down it's pro users.

• 6. Re: Top of the Heap
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

I'm currently investigating with a MAC owner, whether the test can be ported to MAC's too. We have identified at least two problems for now and looking at ways to solve them, while maintaining the reliability of the test. As soon as we have more info, we'll let you know.

• 7. Re: Top of the Heap
                      Scott Chichelli Level 3

might just be easier to use a test like we used, multi layer render

since Adobe is cross platform

Scott

ADK

• 8. Re: Top of the Heap
                        JaysonM-Y Level 3

Thank you, Harm. I've been itching to find out how this system would match up.

ps: I already know that my home AMD system would have a performance likened unto a legless old people race.

• 9. Re: Top of the Heap
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Eric, does WD have SAS 600 GB VelociRaptors, I could not find any on their site?

• 10. Re: Top of the Heap

No WD Raptors are Sata 600Gbs drives. The Controller was SAS in the system listed.

Eric
                            ADK

• 11. Re: Top of the Heap

Unless an editor has money to burn, nearly all Mac users who buy from the Apple Website will not add much in the way of options to their purchase there.  Just for fun, I maxed out a configuration on a new Mac Pro including four 512MB SSD's (not cost-effective for video editing, but what the heck) and their raid card offering.  The total came to $16,099.00!! I wonder how many PCs I could build of comparable performance for sixteen grand?!!!

• 12. Re: Top of the Heap
                                jabloomf1230 Level 1

I have been planning to build an SR-2 based workstation, but I have been waiting to buy the new Lian Li PC-V2120 case that is expressly designed for the mobo. I looked on the ADK website, but I didn't see any references to the Juggernaut model. Does anyone have a link?

• 13. Re: Top of the Heap

It's listed as the HD-Juggernaut on the home page. This is the link to the configurator.

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=106

BTW the Juggernaut configurator is by default set to the best configuration. You can alter it and lower options as you require.

Eric

ADK

• 14. Re: Top of the Heap
                                    jabloomf1230 Level 1

Eric,

Thanks, in the mean time I found the configurator. How come the workstations don't show up on the ADK computer home page? Or is it something to do with Firefox?

Jay

• 15. Re: Top of the Heap

They show up on Firefox here. Did you scroll down under the platform specific picture links? If your running a lower resolution, you wont see the systems on the front page until you scroll down below all of the platform picture links. Were in the process of redesigning the front page to help people. If you have any recommendations, please let me know

Eric

ADK

• 16. Re: Hi Eric @ADK
                                        nathapushpa Level 1

Hi Eric

I heard about u that u r one of the experts in the trade @ADK. I am thinking of purchasing the following system from Dell, cos, I am going thru very hardships running CS4 on Pentium 4 (3.4GHz Proc/2GB DDR2 RAM, etc.....)..Finally I have choosen the following system(not yet purchased) and whould like to, what u think about the system?? I would really appreciate if u could help me on this matter. BTW, I am living in Australia. Following query I have forwarded to many video editing forums..but still I did not get any satisfactory answer or good suggestions.... Hope u will help me on this. Ur time and advice is much appreciated. Thx. Pushpa

Hi

Your (any) comments about following system is much appreciated. At present I am experiencing choppy video(draft quality video on monitor) and slowing the process on my Dell Dimension 8400(Pentium4/3.4GHz,2GB DDR2 RAM, 500GB HDD)when running Adobe PPro CS4. Video Camera used Sony PMW EX1 with Sony SXS memory cards.

The system I am intend to buy is mainly to run the APPRo CS5 initially and later associated Adobe Master Collection programs( Eg. Fireworks, Dreamweaver, After Effects,Encore, Flash, Illustrator, Photoshop and Soundbooth).

Dell Precision T7500 (Workstationchassis with 1100watts power supply (85%+ Efficiency Power Factor Correcting power supply)

Intel Xeon E5630 2.53GHz, 12M Cache, 5.88GT/S QPI, Turbo, 4C
                                        Intel 5520 chipset
                                        Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
                                        Dell back-up and Rcovery Manager for Windows 7
                                        24GB (6X4GB) DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1333MHz, CC
                                        600 GB (15000rpm) SAS HDD Drive(for C:\)
                                        Two 600GB (15000rpm) SAS HDDs
                                        PRC6/i SAS/SATA Hardware RAID Card
                                        SAS Connector cable
                                        SATA Cable for 2nd Optical drive
                                        All SAS Drivs, RAID 5, 3 drive XtremeMusic
                                        Addiional Broadcom 5722 10/100/1000 Ethernet Networking LAN Solution
                                        Dell MS 111 USB Optical Mouse
                                        Dell QuietKey Keyboard
                                        3yr on-site warranty
                                        2 Monitors - 24" - Dell MOdel G2410H Widescreen Flatpanel monitor s
                                        Integrated Intel SATA 3.0GB/S controller with support for RAID
                                        Integrated Broadcom 5761 Gigabit ethernet controller
                                        Integrated High Def Audio

Slots: All full length except as noted
                                        1 PCI-e X16 Gen2 wired as X4
                                        2 PCI-e X16 Gen 2 slots wired as X8 (one is half length)
                                        2 PCI-e X16 Gen 2 Graphics slots
                                        1 PCI-X 64bit/100MHz slot with support for 3.3v or univrsal card
                                        1 PCI 32bit/33MHz 5v slot

Standard I/O ports
                                        11 USB 2 (2 on front panel, 6 on back panel and 3 internal)
                                        IEE 1394a (One front, one rear)
                                        1 Serial
                                        1 Parallel
                                        2 PS/2
                                        1 RJ 45
                                        1 e-SATA port on back panel
                                        Stereo LINE-IN and Headphone LINE-OUT on back panel
                                        Microphone & Headphone connector on back panel

Bays:
                                        4 Internal 3.5" HDD Bays
                                        3 xternal 5.25" optical bays, one of which can accommodate a fifth HDD
                                        1 xtrnal 3.5" flex bay for floppy driv or Media crd Reader

Total Weight 25Kg

Your help on comments are much appreciated.

Thanks.

• 17. Re: Hi Eric @ADK

If it was me,  I would dump the 15K SAS drives and get the 5650 CPU's or higher. You should be able to dump the raid card as well unless you want a larger raid 5 array. I would not go with a 3 drive raid 5 unless your just not good with backups. Go with either the WD Black 64 Meg Cache drives or the Raptors. Beyond that it looks ok up to the video card. What video card are you going to use with this system?

Eric

ADK

• 18. Re: Top of the Heap
                                            nathapushpa Level 1

Hi Eric

Thx for ur advice. I have selected nVidia Quadro FX 4800 with 1.5GB RAM.

What HDD capacity of WD Black 64 Meg Cache drives?? I have to order??

What's wrong with 15K SAS drives connected on RAID 5 system?? I am not sure

about this..Dell has suggested this.

FYI, I need at least 3 or 5 HDDs for the system

as follows:

C;| OS + Programs

D:\ Projects + Assets

E:\Media files

F:\Everything else

Plase advice...I am very new to this game of video editing...Ur help is much

appreciated. Thx

Pushpa-Australia

• 19. Re: Top of the Heap

Dump the Quadro 4800 and get the Quadro 5000 if you want a Quadro card. There is nothing wrong  with the 15K SAS drives other than you would better spend your budget elsewhere for increased performance. If you can afford to get the higher 5600 CPU's and still get the 15K drives then that would be fine. If you have to choose then take the CPU's over the 15K drives. The 1 or 2 TB drives would be the ones to select if you go with the WD Black Drive route. You can also look at the Raptor drives.

Eric

ADK