3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2010 12:18 PM by Dave LaRonde

Rendering SO Slow?

nathangranger3

Finally got AE up and running. Looks good, but I am trying to render a 20 second video. I've used Twixtor on it for about 5 seconds. It's taking an hour. Not kidding at all.

It's supposedly in HD. I rendered the file about 3 hours ago but when I was watching it in WMP it kept pausing every second. I'm sure it's not meant to do this. Sony Vegas takes 10 minutes for a full HD 3 minute file for me, so why should this 20 second one take an hour? Any help is much appreciated.

Oh, and I have 2GB of Ram if you need to know.

• 1. Re: Rendering SO Slow?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

A little clarification will help the diagnostic process, so let's get started!

I've used Twixtor on it for about 5 seconds.

Can you describe what you're doing in Twixtor?  Since Twixtor's primarily a way to convert the frame rate of a clip, why are you only doing it for five seconds?

It's supposedly in HD.

Uh-huh.  Why don't you know this for a fact?  What kind of footage is this precisely?  What are the H&V dimensions?  What's the original frame rate?  What's the codec?  HINT: "mov" or "avi" is not a codec.  It's a media container.  Highlight the footage in the project window and get the straight skinny on it.

I have 2GB of Ram if you need to know.

Wow, that's almost NOTHING in AE-Land.  Turn off multiprocessing if you have in on, and LEAVE IT OFF.  You don't have anywhere near enough memory to use multiprocessing.

There's something else we need to know: the version of AE you're running.  It wouldn't hurt to know about your computer, your OS, and any cool video cards, either.

Once we know all that stuff, we can start a diagnosis instead of guessing.

• 2. Re: Rendering SO Slow?
            nathangranger3 Level 1

I'm just slowing down part of a clip with Twixtor.

When I say supposedly, it's because when I rendered it, it came out horrible. As I was trying to render it for the second time, it came out fine so don't worry. The only problem now is the time.

Ok, done that. Running CS4 and Windows 7. Not sure how I find out what my video cards are. Mind telling me?

• 3. Re: Rendering SO Slow?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Sorry, I can't give you a decent explanation because you didn't supply the information I asked for, so all I can do is speculate. 

Here's what I think is going on,based on the available information:  AE doesn't like you.  What did you do to make it angry?