6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2010 10:57 PM by Mylenium

After Effects lags/changes to objects in composition

Soliduskal001

I have both CS3 & CS4 After effects and the Issue occurres on both (more on CS4), I have reseach the issue and try everything but so far no results.

My problem is that after a couple clicks and keyframes the objects in the composition panel do not respond in real time. if i click to move an object it doesnt respond at least for 5 seconds (is really annoying), this happens when doing everything from moving to scaling. Pretty much the refresh is lousy.

I have changed the settings, in the memory & multi processing, data and cache..you name it. I dont have problem rendering the final product, as a matter of fact the last job i did turned out like i planned..is just tedious to work with the program. (im adding pictures of the setting for borh pc's) Please help..

here are my computers specs..

Desktop:

Windows 7 32 bit

Intel Pentium 4HT 3.2E

2 GB RAM

VisonTek ATI Radeon HD 3650 1GN DDR2 OpenGL (somehow AE wont detect OpenGL but that is a story for another thread)

1280 GB Total HD space  --80GB for OS drive, 500GB secondary drive(this is the cache drive), third 500GB drive and 4th drive 200GB--

After Effect version 8.0.2 (latest and final for CS3)

AVG antivirus running, Microsoft security essentials and other regular background programs...

Laptop:

Asus G73JH

Windows 7 64bit

Intel Core i7 720Q

8 GB RAM (latest and final for CS4)

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 VRAM

After Effects version 9.0.2.42

AVG antivirus running, Microsoft security essentials and other regular background programs...

NOTE: I'm trying to cut CS4 some slack but even with my "high end" asus laptop with it superior 64bit OS I find myself going back to my almost(maybe already by today standards) obsolete desktop. ALSO.. all my projects are full blown 1920 x 1080 progressive resolution.

I wonder, is CS4 Adobe's own Windows Vista? should I uninstall CS4 altogether and get CS5 in my laptop?

I would appreciate any help you can give me with the settings. Here are the pics, first two are from CS3 and last two from CS4.

CS3 setting 2.jpgCS3 setting 1.jpg

setting two.jpg setting one.jpg

• 1. Re: After Effects lags/changes to objects in composition
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> AVG antivirus running, Microsoft security essentials and other regular background programs...

Try turning off all of these programs that aren't essential for your work.

Some antivirus software works by checking every read and write operation, which can immensely slow down work in After Effects (and other applications).

• 2. Re: After Effects lags/changes to objects in composition
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I agree with Todd. Make your security tools behave. That doesn't mean to turn them off completely, but at least make them keep their fingers off files when writing them (major performance hit!) and not running active scans while the CPU is busy. Letting them scan on file read is usually no problem, but if you use AE's cache and it's under their surveillance due to the sheer number of files it may also show a loss of performance...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: After Effects lags/changes to objects in composition
              Soliduskal001 Level 1

Thanks you for your response. I have turn off the "Resident Scanner" on Avg but I have not seen any improvement. I also notice that my desktop AVG resident sacnner setting have a exception showing my extra HDs excempt from scans ..i will try that in my laptop. Also do you think my setting need tweaking?

Thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: After Effects lags/changes to objects in composition
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There are a lot of things that can affect performance. Many are listed on this page:

"Improve performance"

They range from updating drivers, installing updates, and defragmenting your hard disks to making tweaks specific to After Effects settings. It's nearly impossible to give specific advice for the last category until we're sure that all of the former ones are taken care of.

• 5. Re: After Effects lags/changes to objects in composition
                  Soliduskal001 Level 1

Ok im think im still confused.. Rendering of object and RAM preview etc.

.  i can understand if i click on play and things dont play at the right frame rate..but shouldn't I be able to reposition/scale the elements of your composition without lag? I honestly dont see why the program needs so many resources to place objects around... like i said my projects render perfectly. Imagine this.. what if you were putting together a jigsaw puzzle and every time you position a piece it will take 10 seconds to happen..you get me?

ANyway thank you for all your help.. i will probably uninstall CS4 from my laptop and install CS3 on it... the onl;y thing i will miss is Adobe Media Encoder which is very usefull.

Thaks you again.

• 6. Re: After Effects lags/changes to objects in composition
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If it still lags, you are having a driver confligt somewhere. This can be anything from graphics card to tablets. I suspect that some config in your graphics is set in a way that prevents AE (or possibly even otehr Adobe programs) from refreshing the screen. if you are using a specific setup, try to reset to factory defaults and see if it helps any. If you use dual screens, try to run with just one screen as a test...

Mylenium