10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2010 11:42 AM by RDA972

EDIT IN HD or SD ?

phillipnguyen

Hello I just got the Sony EX3 and start shooting HD clip. But some of my client still need final out put on SD DVD.

Which ways are better if I shoot HD clip and Edit on SD project or Edit on HD project and finally down convert for SD DVD?

And How about is quality of movie for output on SD DVD? Thanks for your help

• 1. Re: EDIT IN HD or SD ?
          RDA972 Level 3

I have found that shooting, editing, and authoring in HD before outputting a DVD via Encore produces great results.

PS : I mostly use XDCAM EX footage from the EX1/3 and PMW-350 for HD work.

• 2. Re: EDIT IN HD or SD ?
            Thrill Media Level 2

Edit in HD if your computer can handle it.  That futureproofs your edit in case the client wants a BluRay later and you can always export them a YouTubeHD or Vimeo HD file to link on their website.

• 3. Re: EDIT IN HD or SD ?
              jkosmicki Level 2

You should only edit in SD if the majority of your source footage for a particular project is SD. Exporting to MPG2-DVD from a Premiere HD timeline yields great quality, I do it all the time. While making DVD's of your finished shows you should go ahead and make Blu-rays as well, even if you don't want to burn Blu-ray discs, just make Blu-ray folders or image files future use.

I also export all of my finished shows in CineForm AVIs for archiving since I always get requests for different encoded formats way after projects are complete and put away.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: EDIT IN HD or SD ?
                RDA972 Level 3

"you should go ahead and make Blu-rays as well, even if you don't want to burn Blu-ray discs, just make Blu-ray folders or image files future use."

Good advice, Jeff. Throw Nero in the mix and you're good to go.

• 5. Re: EDIT IN HD or SD ?
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Throw Nero in the mix and you're good to go

For burning images, I'd recommend ImgBurn over Nero.  I know some users have no problems with Nero.  But if you don't install just the parts you need, and instead perform a standard installation, you can end up with a highly conflicted system with Nero.  No such danger with ImgBurn.

-Jeff

• 6. Re: EDIT IN HD or SD ?
                    RDA972 Level 3
                    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

But if you don't install just the parts you need, and instead perform a standard installation, you can end up with a highly conflicted system with Nero. 

I've been using Nero for years and I have never had any issues with it whatsoever.

I usually perform standard installations and so far none has resulted in a conflicted system.

So I strongly suggest that the OP check it out.

• 7. Re: EDIT IN HD or SD ?

I usually perform standard installations and so far none has resulted in a conflicted system

The only way I can answer that is by saying that you have been exceptionally fortunate, or exceptionally diligent in preventing unwanted services and processes from running..  Plus: ImgBurn is free.  Nero is not.

I used Nero through version 7.  It was a battle with each new update or upgrade to keep my system free of Nero's tentacles.  I abandoned Nero for ImgBurn and the DVD creation part of my life became worry-free.

-Jeff

• 8. Re: EDIT IN HD or SD ?
                        RDA972 Level 3

Well, Jeff, I won't argue with you.

Suffice it to say, I am very happy with Nero and I know a lot of people who are,too.

So, I don't think I am "exceptionally fortunate" in any way.

But, I digress, back on topic.

• 9. Re: EDIT IN HD or SD ?

Yeah, me too.  Sorry about adding to the digression.

-Jeff

• 10. Re: EDIT IN HD or SD ?
                            RDA972 Level 3

It's OK, Jeff. As a Community Professional, your input is always greatly appreciated and rightly so I hasten to add.