10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2010 3:21 PM by the_wine_snob

How to change settings in Pre 8

americus73

I'm a student and competely unfamiliar with Premiere elements 8. My assignment calls for specific settings such as adjusting video frame size to 240x180 and all I see are presets that I can't change! Can these setting be changed?? What do I need to do?? Thanks for any help you can offer!!

• 1. Re: How to change settings in Pre 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're talking about changing the project settings to 240x180, that's not available in Premiere Elements. But the project settings should be based on your source video -- not your final output.

What kind of camcorder is your video coming from? That will determine which project settings you use.

You can output at virtually any frame size and in most major formats. Go to Share/Personal Computer and you'll see many of the output formats. If you select, say, WMV or MOV (you didn't say which you need) and click the Advanced button, you'll find these options.

• 2. Re: How to change settings in Pre 8
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Exactly as Steve says: the source footage determines the Project Preset. The output needs determine the Share/Export settings. At first, this is a bit counter-intuitive. Most people begin thinking in terms of the output, and that does not come into play, until one has done the editing.

It is that editing that must be considered first, and that is why one matches their Project Preset to their source footage 100% - so that they can edit without any problems. When done, THEN one considers the output necessary. Also, this allows one many choices of output from the single, edited Timeline. In some cases, I might have a DVD, FLV (for Web) and WMV (for streaming delivery), from the same Timeline. If one set things up for the output (if you could), it would mean editing 3 times, for 3 different output schemes.

Good luck with your school project and your PrE Project.

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to change settings in Pre 8
              americus73 Level 1

Thank you for responding.

These are .mov files from QuickTime that the instructor has provided. We are to edit them together and then upload them back to the instructor. He specifically said to change to 240x180. I don't have a clue what to do. The instructions you provided about output under Share, is this where I need to change the settings?

Thanks!

• 4. Re: How to change settings in Pre 8
                americus73 Level 1

Thank you for the info. I'm not sure what most of it means though! I understand about the presets and output as if I was creating my own video. But these are .mov files that are to be viewed in quick time. and they have to be at 240x180 the instructor says.

Thank you!

• 5. Re: How to change settings in Pre 8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

In the case of MOV files (and this applies to AVI, MPEG, WMV, etc., as well), the file extension is but a "wrapper," and can contain almost anything. This ARTICLE will give you more background. In your case, the instructor should be able to provide you with the full specs. of those files. If not, the great free utility, G-SPOT can probably look inside the wrapper and give you some specs. Now, it is not the best with MOV, or with WMV's, but excels with AVI and MPEG's, in most cases. If one has QT Pro (US$29 upgrade/unlock), they can use the Properties screen for the specs. of the file. That is accessed via Ctrl+J in the Pro version. The regular QT Player has a limited Properties screen, but I do not know the keyboard shortcut to access it. Also, I believe that the info provided is quite limited.

The specs. of those MOV files will determine your Project Preset. That needs to match the source footage 100% for the best editing experience.

In some cases, there is not a Preset that matches 100%. When one encounters that sort of footage, the best course of action is to convert to something that PrE has a Preset for and can edit. In the case of MOV files, one of the best conversion programs is actually QT Pro. One would Export the file as a DV-AVI file, and Import that into PrE into a DV Preset (choosing NTSC, or PAL, depending on where one is located, and either Widescreen 16:9, or Standard 4:3, depending on how the footage was shot). There are also many good, free conversion programs. Many on this forum like Prism, but I have never used it.

If you can get the specs. of those MOV files, someone here can point you to the correct Project Preset to choose. That will get you started.

When done editing, if you will give us the full specs. that the assignment requires, we can then tell you the exact Export/Share settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to change settings in Pre 8
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Are the MOV files already in the 240x180 Frame Size, or is that what you need to end up with? That could prove problematic, if they are already 240 x 180.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How to change settings in Pre 8
                      americus73 Level 1

I don't know if this is the info you are asking for or not but here is what he posted for us.

"The resolution of the supplied clips is 240x180. You must keep your submitted movie in that resolution. The movie image should be full frame, in a 240x180 frame. Do not edit clips in 720x480! Compression of the movie should be set to around 500 Kb/s. Use the h.264 codec for the video and AAC for the audio (audio rate should be 32 kHz or lower). Your final movie saize should be 10 Mb or less. Do not submit a larger file! Screen capture below"

This is from the instructors Premiere Pro.

Setup_screen.jpg

• 8. Re: How to change settings in Pre 8
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, there could be a problem. I do not think that PrE 8 has that Preset available. PrPro has the Desktop Preset, which is what is shown, and it allows one to customize most attributes to suit the footage. Maybe Steve, Neale or ATR can pop in and tell us both for sure, if that Preset is available in PrE. In my PrE 4, it is not, but obviously in my PrPro it is. Still, PrE 8 has added a great deal of Presets, so that one might be available, and I just do not know about it.

Does your instructor know that you have PrE and not PrPro? Did they offer any tips?

I wish you luck, and hope that PrE 8 has added such a Preset, otherwise you and the instructor might need to work some things out. At least you will be gaining some additional knowledge of Video editing, so maybe you'll get extra credit?

Hunt

• 9. Re: How to change settings in Pre 8
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I said at the beginning of this discussion, Premiere Elements will only work with standard video formats, frame rates and frame sizes -- of which this is not.

So I'm afraid this is one project you won't be able to work on in Premiere Elements.

I'd say your best bet is to download a program called Quicktime Pro. It's available for $29 from Apple.com. It will most likely do what you need to do.

• 10. Re: How to change settings in Pre 8
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thanks for the comment. I did not think that PrE had that Preset, but did not want to steer the OP wrong, in case it had been added.

It would be easy in PrPro, but that is not an option, unless the school has a copy of that program. Since the instructor issued the info on that setting in PrPro, they might have it on one of the lab computers. That would make life very simple indeed.

To the OP, good luck, and talk to your instructor, and mention that you only have PrE, which has very limited Presets and does not have a way to customize those.

Hunt