2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2010 4:19 PM by MikeBrs

Export image sequence at 16bpc

MikeBrs

Hi y'all,

I would be grateful for some help on this: I have imported some 10 bpc MXF files into an AE comp, and set the Project to 16 bpc. (AE CS4 9.0.2.42)

Having done all the transforms and effects on the video, I now want to Export an Image Sequence at 16 bpc.  Having tried PNG, BMP and Photoshop (PSD) they all come out at 8 bpc.

In the Options setting, the highest option that BMP gives is "Millions of Colors"; PNG and PSD both give options of "Millions of Colors" and "Millions of Colors+" but these still only come out at 8 bpc.

I have seen references in documentation to setting 8, 16 or 32 bpc for Iamge Sequence output, but cannot see anywhere to do this?

I have tried setting the Project to 32 bpc (float) but this makes no difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

• 1. Re: Export image sequence at 16bpc
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> "Millions of Colors" and "Millions of Colors+" but these still only come out at 8 bpc.

"Millions of Colors" and "Millions of Colors+" are just other names for 8bpc. "Trillions of Colors" and "Trillions of Colors+" are the corresponding alternate names for 16bpc.

Make sure that you have 16bpc (or Current Settings, if your project is 16bpc) set for the color depth in the render settings. This tells After Effects to render the composition at 16bpc.

Then, make sure that the Depth setting in the output module settings is set to "Trillions of Colors". This tells After Effects to create output files at 16bpc from those rendered frames.

I just tried this, and it worked fine for me.

BTW, how are you checking the color depth of the output files?

Keep in mind that relatively few image formats can contain color values at 16bpc. And far fewer can contain color values at 32bpc.

PNG and Photoshop (PSD) files can contain 16bpc values, but BMP can't.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export image sequence at 16bpc
            MikeBrs Level 1

Todd,

That's great, thanks!

(Can now get the 16 bpc out.)

Mike