7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2010 4:35 PM by the_wine_snob

Missing menu templates?

jbcooke Level 1

Having placed menu markers at strategic places in a 40-minute movie, I'm trying to create disc menu. When I click on Create Menus, only the Comicbook templates appear. I click on "Show all" on the drop-down menu, but no more templates appear.

1. Is it possible I chose not to install Templates when I installed the program? (PrE4)

2. If so, is it possible to add Templates from the installation disk without having to reinstall the whole program?

jbcooke

• 1. Re: Missing menu templates?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

JB,

There are two drop-downs in Create Menu Library. One is the genre of Menus, and then there is the second, where you have "Show All." What is the first drop-down set to?

One can install without the additional Functional Content - Adobe's name for the Titles, Menu Sets, etc., in the Library.

Did you install from media, or from a download?

With a download, there are two files - the program, which must be installed first, and then the Functional Content, which must be manually installed next to get the full Library.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Missing menu templates?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If from a download, this ARTICLE should be useful. Note: the link is for PrE 7, but similar will exist for PrE 8, if that is what you have. Do not know if Adobe still has the download for Functional Content for earlier versions. One might have to explore the full Adobe PrE site.

If from media, then one should be able to just insert the DVD, and if AutoPlay is enabled, the option to install the Functional Content should pop up. If AutoPlay is not enabled for that drive, one can navigate to the folders on the DVD to find the Functional Content/Library items.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Missing menu templates?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at that first drop-down, the genre one, as it appears in PrE 4:

Menu_Library_PrE.jpg

What do you see, when you choose that drop-down?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Missing menu templates?
                jbcooke Level 1

In my Create Menus library, the first -- left-hand -- drop-down menu is set at General. Clicking on it shows *no* other options, such as the long list in the image you attached to your reply.

So the first drop down is set at General, no other options. The 2nd (right-hand) drop-down has two options: Show All and Comicbook. Clicking "Show All" produces no other templates.

I installed the program from the program DVD. I'll now try your suggestion to see if I can install additional elements. Back in a minute...

jbcooke

• 5. Re: Missing menu templates?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

JB,

It appears that you just did not install the Functional Content. It takes up some HDD space, so I believe that Adobe gives on the option to NOT install it. I do think, however, that the default installation is with that. Now, it could well be that for some reason the installer quit with just the program. Still, you should be able to do the supplemental install.

With AutoPlay, you will probably get a couple of options, like Install Functional Content (or similar syntax), Repair Install, or Uninstall. You will want the first option. Also, the latter two options might be on a second screen.

Good luck, and you should get about 100 extra Menu Sets, plus more Titles, Themes/Instant Movies, and maybe even a few more animation Presets.

Hunt

PS - now, you have not moved any of PrE's folders about have you? The program looks in one particular spot for the Library material.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Missing menu templates?
                    jbcooke Level 1

I was right the first time (so was Bill Hunt) -- I didn't install the Templates when I installed the program. I inserted the PrE4 program DVD and right there on the first screen that comes up was the option to "Install Premiere Elements Templates." (In version 4, it's not called Functional Content.) I've now got more Templates than I will ever use. I'll delete most of the way-too-cutesy home-movie amateurish categories, but there are a couple in the Entertainment and General categories that I may be able to use.

Problem solved. Thanks.

• 7. Re: Missing menu templates?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

JB,

Great news. Why the additional materials did not install initially could have been a choice made at the time, or a glitch in the installer.

Now, while it is not as easy, as really customizing a Menu in Adobe Encore with PS, one can modify the Menu Sets to suit. I always recommend doing this with a Copy, so that one never overwrites the originals. There are several rules for Button Layer Set naming, and even rules for where to place the modified Menu Sets and what files are needed in that new folder, to get the thumbnails (those are the PNG files that one will find in the various folders). There are some general articles on doing this here, and also on Muvipix. That site also has additional Menu Sets, and of several genres.

Also remember that if one finds a Menu with an arrangement that they like, and with Buttons that they like, the background image can be altered, so one can easily customize things to a degree.

Glad that you got your menus, plus more.

Happy editing,

Hunt