24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 8:48 AM by Colin Brougham

Problem with Mercury Engine

aJockster

Hi,

I am on the mac platform using an 8 core system with 2 x Quadro FX 4800 cards in my system along with 32 gig Ram.

I can even have 2 layers of video showing without a red line appearing. I suspect the mercury engine is not enabled somehow. I have installed the latest Nvidia drivers along with CUDA 3.1

I am not given the option to switch between Software or Mercury Hardware, it's greyed-out.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated. As you can imagine this is becoming very frustrating.

Regards,

Allan

See screen Grab:

PPro Screen Grab.png

• 1. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine
          Colin Brougham Level 6

You may have to disable or remove one of the cards.

• 2. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine
            aJockster Level 1

I will give that a try, sadly I run 3 monitors and each card only supports 2 monitors.

Thanks for your thought.

Allan

• 3. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine
              aJockster Level 1

Is there an easy way to disble, without the need to remove a card?

Cheers,

Allan

• 4. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine
                Colin Brougham Level 6

I can tell you how to do it Windows, but I have no idea for OS X. I suspect you can't; this is probably one of those "ease of use" features of the Mac

Since you already have the latest drivers installed, that's my best guess about the issue. The only way to know is to physically remove one of the cards, and see if you get GPU acceleration as an option.

EDIT: Just remembered that I think there is a OS X version issue that can prohibit CUDA GPU acceleration; I think you need the last point update of 10.5 or 10.6 to enable this. Don't quote me on that, but I think there's a thread around here somewhere to that effect.

• 5. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine
                  aJockster Level 1

Colin,

much appreciated. I will remove the card tomorrow, its nerly 3am here, time for bed soon.

I have just ordered a 12 core system, now Im thinking maybe I should have moved back to PC.

Allan

• 6. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine
                    aJockster Level 1

Colin,

I have removed one card and I still cannot activate the Mercury engine.

Any other thoughts. I reinstalled the CUDA 3.1 software but still no joy

Allan

• 7. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine
                      aJockster Level 1

I tried one other situation just to eliminate another possible cause:

Ive now tried 64Bit as well as 32Bit and still cannot activate the Mercury Engine.

Going to bed now, hopefully when I wake up some of you wonderful Guru's will have an answer for me

I presume all i needed to do was install the Nividia Driver and CUDA 3.1 am I missing anything?

Cheers,

Allan

• 8. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine
                        rejdmast1 Level 2

Make sure you have the latest version of OSX installed.

Run these steps to make sure Premiere sees your graphics card and that it is listed in the

cuda_supported_cards.txt

Step 1. Go to the Premiere CS5 installation folder.
                        Step 2. Find the file “GPUSniffer.exe” and run it in a command prompt (cmd.exe) and make sure it lists your card.

Step 3. Find the file: “cuda_supported_cards.txt” and edit it and  add your card (take the name from the line: CUDA device details: Name:  GeForce GTX 295 Compute capability: 1.3

So in my case the name to add is: GeForce GTX 295

Step 4. Save that file and we’re almost ready.

Link to the full hack:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2789255#2789255

• 9. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Run these steps to make sure Premiere sees your graphics card and that it is listed in the cuda_supported_cards.txt

None of this is necessary. The Quadro FX 4800 is an officially supported card, both in Windows and Mac.

Make sure you have the latest version of OSX installed.

This is worthwhile advice, however. According to the system requirements, "Mac OS X v10.6.3 required for GPU-accelerated performance." Anything earlier will prohibit Premiere from using the GPU.

• 10. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine
                            aJockster Level 1

Im running 10.6.4

Is there any software that I can run that can confirm my Quadro is working correctly. The reason I ask this is because since day 1 I have not been impressed with these cards, considering I installed two of these on the same system. I saw ZERO performance gain when using them in FCP. After reading a lot about Premiere and CUDA I thought for the first time I might see some benefit to having these cards.

This is quite frustrating

Once again many thanks for your thoughts, it's a shame no one from ADOBE has pitched-in.

Gentle reminder to all, im running CS5 on a Mac.

Allan

• 11. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine
                              shooternz Level 6

The fact that you can see the graphics on your screen is probably an indication that it is working in some manner.

In a Windows PC ( eg mine) I can go to a NVIDIA set up page and run through all the setup and options for the card and driver.  This includes some tests.

FWIW.  I have a Quadro FX 3800 installed.  Combined with the MPE technology and CS5...its benefits are significant.

Not sure what way or how FCP makes use of graphic card processing if any.  I doubt that it is as significant as MPE /CUDA.

• 12. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine
                                rejdmast1 Level 2

Allan,

Make sure PP is at least seeing your card.

If it is, at least it will eliminate one unknown.

I wish I could help you more but I'm a PC guy, not a MAC guy.

Step 1. Go to the Premiere CS5 installation folder.
                                Step 2. Find the file “GPUSniffer.exe” and run it in a command prompt (cmd.exe) and make sure it lists your card.

• 13. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine
                                  aJockster Level 1

My head is about to explode.

I have tried as many variations as I can possibly think to try and get this working. I have tried another card, change slots, you name it Iv'e tried it.

My last resort is to completely wipe my system and install a fresh OS and reinstall CS5 and prey that that works.

I have no way to find out if PP is seeing my Quadro/s. I wish I could atleast establish that, but on a MAC I cannot find out how?

Any other thoughts please let me know.

Allan

• 14. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine
                                    Bob_McConnell Level 1

Try running CINEBENCH and you will get opengl comparisons for similar machines.

Bob

• 15. Re: Problem with Mercury Engine