6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2008 7:38 AM by ToddBuell

Opening Pdf or Word Documents

batmitra Level 1
      I'd like to know if it's possible and how can i open a word document ou pdf inside flex
        • 1. Re: Opening Pdf or Word Documents
          jfillman Level 1
          Check out Flex with Adobe AIR. PDF is possible with AIR through HTML controls. I'm hopeful that the released versions of Flex 3 and AIR allow for even better integration with PDF and Adobe MARS.
          • 2. Re: Opening Pdf or Word Documents
            batmitra Level 1
            hi
            thanks for your answer, but i'm not interested on AIR because i'm doing an application that needs to be inside a browser, so i need to open the document inside my application , on a browser
            • 3. Re: Opening Pdf or Word Documents
              jfillman Level 1
              The only option that I know of for this is to get a copy of Adobe FlashPaper and convert the PDF to a SWF, then import the SWF. There might be some new options when Flex 3 is officially out, but I wouldn't bet on it until they update ActionScript.
              • 4. Re: Opening Pdf or Word Documents
                ToddBuell
                I'm also interested in doing something similar in a RIA. Overall, I'd like to allow users to "upload" files of varying formats (doc, ppt, xls, pdf, etc...) and manipulate them as necessary. I thought the process of converting them to .pdf via the OO.org service and then porting to swf would be the ideal solution. This would give the server a copy of the document to reference, manipulate, etc...

However, looking at FlashPaper it seems that this is an interactive process and not a service or library call. As well in rereading the post, it seems that this requires manual importation into the project. Is this the case, and if so does anyone know of a method for dynamically importing contents of a pdf into a RIA developed in Flex?

Any other suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
                • 5. Re: Opening Pdf or Word Documents
                  kilyas2007
                  have you looked into iframes within flex. They could be usefule to render pdf docs within your flex app.
                  • 6. Re: Opening Pdf or Word Documents
                    ToddBuell Level 1
                    The problem with just displaying the pdfs in iframes is that I also need to be able to pull data from the documents, allow users to select/highlight certain portions and mark them into the application, etc...

So, if embedding a pdf into an iframe will allow me this sort of interaction it will work. However, I need to be able to read text from the document into the applications context, as well as modify the document from my program.

Is this feasible with simple iframe embedding?