4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2010 6:27 PM by the_wine_snob

Just loaded PE 8 - two issues

iptinak Level 1

Hey - so I just loaded PE8 on my new computer (and I have never used this program before either). I;m running W7 64bit with 12GB RAM and a GTS 250 IGB video card.

The first issue I have is when I got look for a theme it keeps asking me to load the disc. Maybe the contect disc didn't load properly but I don't know how to check that.

The second issue I have is openign a file. I get an error - "file not supported or codec is not installed". The file is a video straight from a Canon 7D (it says MVI, quick time movie).

Anyone have some advice regarding these issues?

• 1. Re: Just loaded PE 8 - two issues
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For the first issue, the Themes, it sounds like you did not install the Functional Content - extra Menus, Themes, Titles, etc. See this THREAD for some background and some info on how to install that extra material.

For the second problem, it sounds like you do not have the H.264 CODEC installed. What version of QT Player do you have on your computer?

Also, Canon is usually pretty good at providing any necessary CODEC's on the system. There is usually an included disc with the cameras, and I would guess that their version of H.264 is on there somewhere. It might install with a driver for the camera, with included organizer software/editing software, or totally separate from anything else. Because the H.264 is included with QT Player, they may have left this off for the 5D/7D, assuming that everyone will have it already. Besides Apple's, there is also one from Lead, and one from MainConcept. Many feel that both of those are better than Apple's.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Just loaded PE 8 - two issues
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE links to many threads and other articles, plus several Web sites on using the 5D/7D footage. Plenty of great tips in there.

Happy editing,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Just loaded PE 8 - two issues
              iptinak Level 1

you'll are a wealth of knowledge - thank you for sharing! This is a  new build so I don't have OT installed! The media did play fine on the Windows media player though. Guess I'll need to download the free version of QT then? Not looking spend any more $ and the Lead version seems to require a purchase.

• 4. Re: Just loaded PE 8 - two issues
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I would go with Apple's QT Player (free), and monitor things. Where most users found issues with Apple's H.264 was when Exporting to MP4 with that CODEC. Both Lead and MainConcept are for $, though both come highly recommended. For many, they solved some issues with Export.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt