38 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 6:20 PM by Indio22

Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?

semajha Level 1

Hey everyone, new to the forums and looking for some advice on choosing ram.  For the past 2 weeks, i've been doing some research for my pc build and have discovered that a lot of x58 mobos have compatibility issues with certain ram modules.  From my understanding, x58 mobos are very finicky about their memory, so it's best to use memory that is recommended by the manufacturers memory support list.  One big issue that i've seen is that some motherboards have trouble detecting memory in full slots. So if a person were to run 2 6b triple channel memory kit (total 12gb), their motherboard will only detect half of that.  So a few of my questions are.... Is anyone here running 12 gb or 24 gb memory with no issues?  If so, what motherboard and memory configuration do you have? Is it possible to run a 3x2 gb kit and 3x4 gb kit(total of 18) together or would it be better to stick with identical ram?

Here's what I plan on building:

Mobo: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R or Asus P6X58D-E (I really want the UD3R but after hearing so many issues with memory with that board, i've considered the asus one)

CPU: Intel i7 930

GPU: Nvidia GTX 470

Memory: No clue anymore, but i've been looking at Gskill and Corsair.  3x4=12 gb kit or 6x2=12 gb kit?  I hear that 2 gb modules have more overclock headroom?

PSU: Corsair Modular 750HX series... I think 750 should be enough, because I don't ever plan on running SLI but if it's not enough please suggest other wise.

HD: 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb... I would add an SSD but they're a bit pricey atm.

Additional Cooling: Kingwin XT1264

Case: Lian Li PC-8NWX Mid tower

Please let me know what y'all think, Thank you.

• 1. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
          richardrock Level 1

My ability to choose components hit the wall at RAM also. I posted on this forum, this is the thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/695662?tstart=60. (hope that link works for you). I am using 6 sticks of Kingston Hyper X. KHX1600C9D3K3 (2 kits of 3 x 2GB sticks) on an Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard and all 12 GB are posting. I have not begun to over clock yet, still reading up. Hope to get to 1600Mhz. I couldn’t afford the 4GB sticks yet(24 GB total), plan to upgrade later and pass these on to my son.

My take:

Try to stick to the QVL

Seriously consider 4 GB sticks

Note: a lot of people are using Corsair Dominators and getting it done

Be ready to go beyond specks to achieve the power editors need (at your own peril)

PS I am very happy with my CPU cooler. Noctua seems to care about their name. Great packaging, instructions, quality, and even included a tube of thermal paste and a nifty screwdriver (Note: very large; see Rowby’s Build on this forum).

Cooler Master HAF 932

Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W

Asus P6X58D Premium

I7 930

Noctua NH-D14

Kingston KHX1600C9D3K3 (2 kits of 3 x 2GB sticks)

GTX 480

WD Velociraptor 150 GB

2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB

Win 7 Pro

• 2. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
            Jay Knobbe Level 1

The two mobo's you are looking at are the same I've been considering and I also have been looking at RAM sticks with the same level of confusion. I didn't know the GIGABYTE board was fussy about ram. Was highly touted on Tom's Hardware and I see 4 users on the CS5 benchmark are using that board. I have a similar build going with the exception of a CM 932 X case and a couple more HD's. Maybe one of the big hitters on this great forum will chime in with some advice?

• 3. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

This has all been discussed extensively here, but here are some general remarks:

1. PSU: Check here eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5 , get the Pro version, enter ALL your components, including burners, fans, USB and firewire devices, set your CPU load to 100%, capacitor aging to 30%, calculate and add 10 - 15% for safety. Check the required amperage on each rail for the PSU you consider.

2. Case: Get a big tower, not a mid-size. Easier to assemble, better airflow and cabling, more expansion room.

3. RAM: More is better than faster. First is amount of RAM, 24 is better than 12 GB, second is speed, DDR3-1866 or 1600 is better than 1333, third is timings and the lower the CAS the better.

• 4. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                jkosmicki Level 2

I have the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R with 12GB of RAM with the i7 930 and a GTX 470. I've had no problems with the RAM and no problems in general. This setup is a replacement for a dual Xeon Tyan server board that I was running. My new setup is WAY faster with Premiere and cost about a 1/3 as much. I am using 2 packs of OCZ Gold XTC 6GB DDR3-1600, cost a total of $300 with a rebate, I think you can get it now for even less.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The problem with the DDR3 ram and the X58 platform that you are seeing has to do with the Secondary timings or Sub timings as they are called that the boards detect based on the profiles loaded into the ram and the compatibility profiles the boards have listed in the bios. This is why you see many board manufacturers such as Asus update bios just for a memory compatibility change. The IC's on the ram decide what timings are detected by the board and also the latency for many timings boards don't show. These IC's also will decide what latency the sticks can handle for the primary timings and the secondary. The problem is the current bidding market with the short manufacturing cycles are causing Manufacturers to build less at a time and order parts more often. This is pushing component prices up in the bidding going on especially for IC's that are performing better than others. The Ram companies however are trying everything they can to keep prices down do to the economy. This means they are often changing IC's constantly especially for the lower end  IC's where price is the overall deciding factor. These IC's are normally your 1333 sticks at CL9. First off find a brand from the QVL that the vendor is testing. This means likely they are getting ram compatibility updates from the manufacturer and the different speeds should not make a difference much in compatibility even if the particular model is not on the supported list. Second thing is look for DDR3 1600 sticks with CL6 timings if they are 2GB sticks and CL9 for 4GB sticks. Likely these IC's are the better crop since they are able to handle better timings. The last thing when buying 2 kits is look at the S/N. Often the S/n tells you on the sticks if they were made in the same or close production run. This likely means they have the same IC's in both kits and will run together. The problem most people have is with this last one. If you have 2 sets of DDr3 1600 with 2 different IC's on each set, that often causes the problem you mention. One way to fix it though is disable the XMP profile and manually set all of the primary timings, trc, trfc, and command value. That will often fix this problem. If not 1 of the sets has to be replaced with one with a similar IC or a bios update has to be made to update the compatibility for the board with those modules. Like Harm has said in the past, if you are going to buy 6, try and find a Hex kit where you know the sticks are from the same production run. That is just a little background and why this problem is so prevalent when you check forums.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                    Studio North Films Level 3

alot of issues are down to people not understanding how to correctly set the settings and voltages in the bios.

I am running Corsair dominator 24gb kit 1600mhz with no issues.

Baz

• 7. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?

True but the XMP profiles are suppose to make it easier. Also this issue shows up often on the first boot when the ram is running at the default profile which is normally based on 1333 or 1066. DDR3 1600 running at that speed can handle the default 1.5V as well as the QPI handling the default 1.1V when it's at 4.8. So it's not due to a lack of understanding as much as you might think.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                        semajha Level 1

Thanks everyone for the inputs!  I've been kind of busy with school so I haven't been able to reply back soon enough.

Richardrocks, thanks for sharing that info. I have considered 24 gb but right now those are ridiculously expensive.. I refuse to pay that much for ram.

Jay Knobbe, yes the ud3r is a highly praised budget mobo but from my research, I have found that it is picky with ram.  If you search up ud3r mobo on hardforums.com, you'll find that there's a 20 page thread on people having memory issues and most are only running a 6gb configuration.

Harm, thanks for those tips. The PSU calculator will be extremely handy!

jkosmicki, good to hear from someone using a ud3r board. OCZ seems to be a good brand but I've read a lot about the gold series ram and it seems to have quality control issues.

ECBowen, wow... I am enlightened.  Thanks for taking the time to explain all that, I now have a better understanding of the whole memory compatibility issue and why ram is so damn expensive now.

• 9. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                          adam77777 Level 1

... so with regards to the above, is this the best memory for this board?

2x 12 GB kits of:

998776 - 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 Blackline

1.65V

Tripple Kit

http://www.mushkin.com/Memory/Blackline/998776.aspx

( Gigabyte mentions 1.5V on their site )

???

• 10. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                            Scott Chichelli Level 3

X58 boards take 1.65v ram.

Scott

ADK

• 11. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                              adam77777 Level 1

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449#sp

Are the "2x 12GB Mushkin kits" I mentioned above, better than the 24GB Corsair Dominator or G.Skill hex kits for this Gigabyte X58-UD3R mother board? Which ram is best?

I have limited money and need something that works...

• 12. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                Indio22 Level 1

Scott wrote: "X58 boards take 1.65v ram."

I am confused about this.  There are ram kits for x58 listed as 1.5v.  I think even some of the manufacturer tested ram kits for my Gigabyte x58 UD3R board are 1.5v. (I will double check this later to be sure of my recollection).  Well, I have Mushkin Silverline 3x4gb set of ram waiting to be assembled into my new PC.  Hope I am not in trouble?

• 13. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

1333=1.5v

1600= 1.65v

• 14. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                    Indio22 Level 1

Ok that is good, I have the 1333 at 1.5v.  For some reason, selecting the ram has caused me the most stress so far in this build.  I will not be free of stress until the parts are assembled and the RAM is working fine for a few weeks, lol.

• 15. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                      adam77777 Level 1

Hi Indio22

Please let us know how it goes as I'm looking at purchasing 2x sets of: 12GB DDR3 1600 Blackline Mushkin kits.

... hope it works ...

Thanks

• 16. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                        semajha Level 1

Hey guys, I wanted to give ya'll an update on my build.  So far, my mobo has no trouble detecting 12gb of ram in full slots(2x 3x2gb), However, I am having a difficult time overclocking it to 1600mhz. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the ram itself but more on the memory controller or in my crap batch i7 930.  I'm using 2 sets of Cas 6 Mushkin Ridgebacks, which has recieved excellent reviews everywhere.  I know Mushkin doesn't sound quite as popular as Corsair or GSkill but apparently they have a very good reputation of making high quality products and have excellent customer service.

My specs:

Mobo: x58a-ud3r Rev. 2.0

CPU: i7 930

GPU: GTX 470

Ram: 2x (3x2gb) Mushkin Ridgeback Cas 6

PSU: Corsair 850HX

CPU: Cooler: Corsair H70

HDD: 4x Samsung 1tb F3

Case: CM 690 Advanced II

If anyone is interested on my overclocking status with this build, ya'll can follow me at this link:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-memory/839219-overclocking-i7-930-12gb-mushkin-ridgebacks.h tml

The main guy helping me out is, LSDMEASAP. He gave an excellent review(probably the most detailed review) on the ridgebacks.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-memory/793937-mushkin-ridgeback-998826-6gb-1600mhz-6-a.html

• 17. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                          Indio22 Level 1

Hello adam77777, I will report back when the parts are assembled.  But right now the "build" is just a pile of parts in a corner of the living room, lol.  Hope to assemble within two weeks. For reference, the memory I select is:

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 998770

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226096&Tpk=mushkin%20ddr3

Also semajha, thanks for sharing your progress.  I will be following along, as I have selected some similar components including the motherboard.

• 18. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                            Jaivey_Joe

Indio22 - have you successfully installed 3x4gb of ram on this mobo yet? If so - can you please tell me what brand and model #?

Also - has ANYONE ELSE - with ANY brand/type of 3x4GB ram? I can find NO positive confirmations of this and am looking for my first!

Please understand I am not interested in any other RAM configs - and whether or not they work as well.

Thanks to all!

• 20. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                              jkosmicki Level 2

Does any one currently have 24GB of Mushkin running OK?

• 21. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                                Scott Chichelli Level 3

your kidding right? i just posted MUSHKIN....

every flavor works 1600 and 1333 sheesh

Scott

ADK

• 22. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                                  Jaivey_Joe Level 1

Scott - what are you running and what are your system specs? You have this rig at functioning @ home?

• 24. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?

Hehe and that's why your not allowed to do support calls

Eric

ADK

• 25. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                                      Jaivey_Joe Level 1

Forgive my ignorance - but where in your profile is your system specs?

• 26. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                                        Scott Chichelli Level 3

i give up... yes Eric this is exactly why i dont do support anymore

• 27. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?

What Scott means to say is we use predominantly Mushkin in every system. We have a direct relationship with them and their engineers which allows us to make sure the ram is compatible and working with the boards in 3 or 6 stick configurations. With the volatile ram market as it is, the IC's for the modules are constantly fluctuating which makes compatibility between Ram sticks and boards a serious pain. That is why it's normally best to get a Hex kit when you get 6 rather than 2 tri-kits. Mushkin is well aware of these issues and takes allot of QA and testing time to try and eliminate them at the production level. We order bulk orders so they have to as much as possible to ensure compatibility whether we have 3 or 6 in a system. That is a nice benefit you get with Mushkin that you may not get elsewhere.

Eric

ADK

• 28. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                                            Jaivey_Joe Level 1

No system specs - no confirmation. Just your word. As everywhere else in every other forum. But I'm supposed to listen to you why? Thanks for nothing.

ANYONE ELSE - with a kinder disposition?

• 29. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                                              Jaivey_Joe Level 1

Thanks for the kinder disposition ECBowen. While I appreciate what  you are saying - I was looking for someone to  confirm that they themselves own or have seen this rig operate flawlessly. Specifically with the Asus P6X58D as originally posted.

A  lot of what "should" or "might" means nothing and I would think that  across the whole of the internet that I could find one confirmation  anywhere. So far not a one. My guess so far is the mobo can't handle it but I cannot verify this yet.

• 30. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                                                Scott Chichelli Level 3

did you catch i am a system builder? had you clicked the link to my websites?

i cant tell you how many X58 systems we have shipped with 3x4gig (or 6x4) Mushkin  (hundreds)

again MUSHKIN will work

• 31. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                                                  Jaivey_Joe Level 1

I had, yes - but confirmation is confirmation. Had you simply said, "Yes, I have built multiple systems with 3x4gb(6x4gb) Mushkin chips in the P6X58D mobo" then my questioning would have ended 3-4 posts ago.

Anyhow, I do sincerely appreciate your advice and will heed it. I will also post back here to confirm this myself in case anyone else is skeptical.

• 32. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?

Unfortunately I can't comment on the board part of your request because then that would tell what boards we use which is something we don't do. I can just tell you that the Mushkin ram is tested with Asus boards specifically at Mushkin and that is the primary board company they work with besides EVGA. I have direct experience with about every performance ram line Mushkin sells and every one is profiled correctly and works with every board I have tested with including Xeon boards thanks to our allot of testing and feedback between us. Mushkin is one of the few ram companies that does test ram in user configurations such as 3 and 6 stick configs versus just 1 stick which is useless anymore. That is the most information I can give. BTW I believe Mushkin uses that exact same model board for Asus testing but I would have to ask them since I forget the exact model.

Eric

ADK

• 33. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                                                      Jaivey_Joe Level 1

Thanks for that - means a lot

• 34. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                                                        Indio22 Level 1

Indio22 - have you successfully installed 3x4gb of ram on this mobo yet? If so - can you please tell me what brand and model #?  Also - has ANYONE ELSE - with ANY brand/type of 3x4GB ram? I can find NO positive confirmations of this and am looking for my first!  Please understand I am not interested in any other RAM configs - and whether or not they work as well.  Thanks to all!

Sorry but the parts from my build are scattered on my dining room table at the moment.  I do have the PSU installed in the case though, does that count for something, lol.  I have everything now but the DVD writer.  Hopefully will pick that part up this weekend and then assemble.  Been working too many OT hours last couple weeks.  But I will definitely report back with results of the MB/RAM matchup.

For your reference, I have this Mushkin ram, it is probably their more budget line:

Mushkin Enhanced

Silverline

PC3-10666 9-9-9-24 1.5v

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226096

Also if you go to some of the RAM manufacturer web sites, you should be able to find some 3x4gb config ram they claim will work with the UD3R board.  I think Kingston had a set.  But the pickings are kind of slim, and some of the manufactures have disclaimers regarding if the RAM will work for sure.  So I understand the frustration.  I finally said to heck with it and bought this RAM because it was a good price and some commenters said the brand was decent.

• 35. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                                                          Jaivey_Joe Level 1

Well the funny thing is Indio22, I had just recently bought that exact Mushkin RAM (Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto #998770) before I saw your last post - based off of the advice from Scott Chichelli & ECBowen.

Well, everything is running perfectly - triple channel 12GB setup (3x4GB) on an ASUS P6X58D-E with an i7950 processor. All hardware/compatibility tests were passed with flying colours! :-D

So a great big thanks to both Scott Chichelli & ECBowen for steering us in the right direction!

Cheers, and good luck with your build!

• 36. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                                                            Indio22 Level 1

That is good to hear of your success with the Mushkin memory.  This past weekend, I finally completed the assembly of my system.  It is similar to yours, although I am using the Gigabyte UD3R board.  So far, I am only at the point of entering the BIOS, have not yet installed Windows 7.  But at least, I have gotten the single beep from the motherboard, indicating no error codes.  And in the BIOS, all 12gig of memory is showing, along with the hard drives, DVD writer, etc.  Not seeing any red flags so far.  I can boot to the point where it asks for the system disk to install the OS, so that seems a good sign.

I updated the BIOS to the most current version successfully (from FA to FC).  Maybe things are going too smoothly, and I am in for trouble.  I admit to being over cautious, to the point of running a wire from the table and wrist strap to a cold water pipe, to bleed off any static, lol.

Did you end up making any changes to the memory settings in your BIOS?  One thing I notice in my BIOS, even though the latency on the Mushkin memory is something like 9, 9, 9, 24 (don't have the exact latencies handy), in my BIOS the settings are something like 7, 7, 7, 21.  Not sure if these are just generic defaults in the BIOS and I should change them, or if the BIOS set these latencies based on some property of the memory.  I am not sure if I should leave the values as-is currently in the BIOS (at least for now), or set based on the values documented with the memory.

• 37. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                                                              gtacyclist Level 1

If you are seeing timings of 7-7-7-21 instead of 9-9-9-24 in the BIOS which is the timing at which the RAM you bought is rated for that means it probably is running at a lower DDR Data Rate... 1066 instead of 1333. If it were me, I would deselect SPD in the BIOS, manually set the DDR Rate to 1333 (which the RAM is rated for) by changing the memory multiplier option, then manually change the timing to 9-9-9-24. I am assuming you just want to run the RAM at its rated speeds and you do not intend to overclock the CPU.

With regards to RAM compatibility, the problem usually occurs when you are using all the slots in the motherboard... for example, you decide to install 6 sticks RAM instead of 3 for triple channel motherboards, or 4 sticks instead of 2 for dual channel motherboards.

• 38. Re: Compatibility issues with ram on x58 mobos?
                                                                                Indio22 Level 1

Now that you mention it gtacyclist, I do recall in the BIOS the ram was showing at the lower 1066 rate.  I haven't gotten around to playing with the ram settings yet, but as you indicate - might need to set the manufacturer stipulated latencies, if I run it at the rated 1333.