4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2006 3:10 AM by Newsgroup_User

Preloader works but not until file is 60 to 70% done

NetBossUSA
      I have added a simple preloader to my main movie that tells users the percentage of file left to download and a simple red bar goes across the screen to show the download procedure. I have noticed that when the main movie is loaded the preloader does not show up on screen until the movie is almost 70% loaded. The preloader works fine from this point on keeping track of the download.
      Is there a bit of code that I'm missing that would ensure that the preloader displays from the time the movie starts at 0%?
        • 1. Re: Preloader works but not until file is 60 to 70% done
          Level 7
          Probably the preloader is 70% of the movie.

Flash needs to download frames (bytes) for all your code and assets in your
          preloader before the preloader starts. If these are 70% of the movie frames
          (bytes) then the preloader will start at that number.

It is important to keep the preloader real light weight.

Also if you are testing a preloader, you might want to add some place marker
          assets like some large bitmaps to test it.

--
          Lon Hosford
          www.lonhosford.com
          Flash, Actionscript and Flash Media Server examples:
          http://flashexamples.hosfordusa.com
          May many happy bits flow your way!
          "NetBossUSA" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ebi963$714$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have added a simple preloader to my main movie that tells users the
          > percentage of file left to download and a simple red bar goes across the
          > screen
          > to show the download procedure. I have noticed that when the main movie is
          > loaded the preloader does not show up on screen until the movie is almost
          > 70%
          > loaded. The preloader works fine from this point on keeping track of the
          > download.
          > Is there a bit of code that I'm missing that would ensure that the
          > preloader
          > displays from the time the movie starts at 0%?
          >

• 2. Re: Preloader works but not until file is 60 to 70% done
            NetBossUSA Level 1
            I thought that is what must be going on, so there is no way of making sure the preloader starts at 0%. I'm using one of the preloaders recommended by macromedia is is as light as it can get.
            • 3. Re: Preloader works but not until file is 60 to 70% done
              crazyjoemilan Level 2
              Also if you have content on your preloader's frames (separate from the preloader) it will load them at the same time it loads the actual preloader.

You can compensate for the size of the preloader if you can get into the heart of it. Here is some fake code!!

var NewBytesTotal = bytesTotal - #of_bytes_in_preloader (I'd use an actual number for simplicity's sake)
              var NewBytesLoaded = bytesLoaded - #of_bytes_in_preloader

Sadly, while this should reset your 70% to 0%, it won't have an effect on the actual load time of the preloader showing up. If your problem persists, post a link to the file, and I'll see if I can't look further.
              • 4. Re: Preloader works but not until file is 60 to 70% done
                Level 7
                Still you should see it way before 60%. The component preloader is probably
                40K.

Be sure the preloader frame does not have any content but the preloader.

Use the bandwidth profiler to look at the size of your preloader frame in
                relation to other frames. This is in Control->Test->Movie. Also you can turn
                on the size report in File->Publish Settings, Flash tab and the report will
                appear in the Output window and in a text file.

Remember Control->Test Movie loads the movie without regard to bandwidth
                constraints, so if you were using Control->Test Movie, perhaps that was
                causing the unexpected results.

With Control->Test Movie you can simulate the download and better see the
                preloader. Look at View->Download Settings. Then use View->Simulate Download
                (a toggle menu choice) to simulate the network drag on the download. Having
                the Bandwidth profiler on is helpful when simulating, View->Bandwidth
                Profiler.

With these tools, you are performing the professional task of evaluating the
                movie performance.

--
                Lon Hosford
                www.lonhosford.com
                Flash, Actionscript and Flash Media Server examples:
                http://flashexamples.hosfordusa.com
                May many happy bits flow your way!
                "NetBossUSA" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:ebnu1d$h47$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >I thought that is what must be going on, so there is no way of making sure
                >the preloader starts at 0%. I'm using one of the preloaders recommended by
                >macromedia is is as light as it can get.