6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2010 4:56 PM by nlm714

AVI file giving Audio/Video file has no streams

nlm714 Level 1

I try to import into CS5 Premiere Pro and it gives me the error. I am running on a Mac and the file works in VLC. It's pretty frustrating not to see the video except in the VLC player.

• 1. Re: AVI file giving Audio/Video file has no streams
          Harm Millaard Level 7

This is typical for non-editable material, that uses a highly compressed format. Check the codec within that AVI wrapper with G-Spot or MediaInfo and if it is not MS DV AVI type2, either convert it or use different software.

In general, PR works best with material you shot yourself with a video camera.

• 2. Re: AVI file giving Audio/Video file has no streams
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Playing a file is separate from editing that same file - totally different. Playability can contribute some info, but can also instill a false sense of security. Players, like VLC, are very good for playing, as they contain about everything needed, right in the player. They do not rely on the installed CODEC's in the system, so being able to edit that same file, may well prove impossible, as the NLE program will have to rely on the installed system CODEC's. Also, even if one has the particular, necessary CODEC installed, it does not mean that the NLE program can actually use it. This ARTICLE will give you a bit more background.

As Harm mentions, it is likely an issue with at least one stream of the file and the CODEC that is needed to decode it. If you have a muxed file (both Audio and Video streams) you need two CODEC's - one for each stream. Next, they BOTH must work in PrPro. It is likely that you are either missing, one or both, or that PrPro cannot use one, or both. VLC Player doesn't need them from the system, as it obviously contains them internally. MediaPlayer Classic HC, and some others are good this way - they play almost everything. However, they do not insure that one has the CODEC installed and that it will work in the NLE. Great for playing, but not so good for insuring that that same file will edit properly.

Good luck, and let us know what is inside that AVI file. This ARTICLE will give you some background on "AVI," and what can be inside that "wrapper."

Hunt

• 3. Re: AVI file giving Audio/Video file has no streams
              nlm714 Level 1

What is a great converter?

• 4. Re: AVI file giving Audio/Video file has no streams
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I like DigitalMedia Converter 2.7, but use it on the PC. There is a newer version available, but I have not upgraded my copies of 2.7, so cannot comment on it. I do not know if Deskshare offers that for the Mac, but their site should list the platforms. There are bound to be some great file converters for the Mac, but I just do not know them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: AVI file giving Audio/Video file has no streams
                  nlm714 Level 1

Is there any freeware? I see alot of shareware.

• 6. Re: AVI file giving Audio/Video file has no streams
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I have never used any of these, but Prism and Super get good reviews. Seems that Super might have an issue with PAL, or maybe NTSC, I just cannot remember.

Good luck,

Hunt