1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 29, 2010 10:17 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Using Presets

OzHP Level 1

Hello everyone

I'm new to AE and slowly finding my way. After watching some good basic tutorials around the web I'm about to actually do something at last!

I'm making a short animated opening credit/ indent, about 5-6 seconds, which will be a standard clip I can load in to all our Pr projects from now on to open our movies. I know this is basic but to get going I'm wondering the best pre-set to use for this composition. We're in PAL country and our footage will generally be HD captured on a Sony Z1. Completed projects would generally be authored to DVD and played on a commercial player or the web. Would it be best to use HDTV1080 25 or HDV1080 25? Out of interest, when would I use preset HDV/HDTV 720 25 or the presets Cineon or Film 2k or 4k?

As I mentioned, I'm in PAL land but my settings default to NSTC HDTV 1080 29.97. It's no major deal but is there a way to default to a PAL preset? I had a look in preferences but I couldn't find an obvious solution.

Hope someone can help.

Ossie

• 1. Re: Using Presets
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Out of interest, when would I use preset HDV/HDTV 720 25 or the presets Cineon or Film 2k or 4k?

You would use those composition settings presets when your output was intended for one of the formats named in the composition settings presets.

See this page for information about choosing settings at the beginning of your work depending on what your output will be.

I very strongly recommend that you start here and work your way through the materials linked to:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

> As I mentioned, I'm in PAL land but my settings default to NSTC HDTV 1080 29.97. It's no major deal but is there a way to default to a PAL preset?

The composition settings for a new composition should default to using the last set of composition settings that you used. Is that not happening? Or are you referring to a different set of settings, such as output module settings? Please be as exact as possible when asking such questions. Words like 'preset' and 'settings' are very vague; there are lots of different kinds of presets and settings.