5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2010 2:36 PM by the_wine_snob

audio rubberbanding simultaneously across linked clips?

westonwoodbury Level 1

Hey all,

Is there a way to make this work:

Say you have 2 audio clips, they are linked.

You make changes to the rubberband in one, and it automatically mirrors them onto the 2nd clip as you work?

Tried making sure tracks are enabled/selected, as thats how you do it in Media Composer, among any number of tracks regardless of whether they are linked or not.  No cigar.

The Sync Lock doesn't seem to change anything in this regard on or off.

Any ideas?

btw, I'd get around it by using copy/paste 'volume' in effects, but it crashes Premiere (lovely).

Thanks!

- wb

Macbook Pro c2d 4GB 10.6.3 PPro CS5 5.0.1

(PC) Win 7 16GB FX3800 CS5 MC

• 1. Re: audio rubberbanding simultaneously across linked clips?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I seldom use the rubberbands. I am more into Keyframing instead. Yes, the rubberband will effectively Keyframe, but in a very slightly different manner and with different controls.

For cross-clip changes, I use Track Keyframing, which is accessible via the Audio Mixer. This sets, say Volume Keyframes, that affect the entire Track. Note: These are Track Keyframes, and if you later change the Clips on that Track, those Track Keyframes still apply - regardless. As an example, if you establish Volume attenuation Track Keyframes, base on listening to the Clips, but then Delete a Clip, effectively moving all remaining Clips earlier in time, those Keyframes still apply at that point in time. Obviously, one should first complete the general edit, and THEN apply the Track Keyframes.

In your case, one could also Map the Clips to a Sub-mix Track, and apply an Effect across the entire Sub-mix Track.

Sorry to hear about the crashes. That should be addressed, as it is not right.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: audio rubberbanding simultaneously across linked clips?
            westonwoodbury Level 1

Thanks Bill!

Ah I forgot about submixes, I have indeed done that before.

I'll give track keyframing a shot maybe.  The edit is finalized so I'm with 'ya, I understand they won't move around with the clips.

I suspect the crashing has something to do with the fact that I'm working off an .aaf (from MC).  Talk about far from perfect though the fact that all my stuff came in in sync was impressive in itself.

- wb

• 3. Re: audio rubberbanding simultaneously across linked clips?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I suspect the crashing has something to do with the fact that I'm working off an .aaf (from MC).

That could be a contributing factor. Though PrPro will accept several Audio format/CODEC's, there are some that it just does not like. I wonder if you can rip the Audio from that Advanced Authoring Format file? As an example, MP3 Audio is one of those. It does love PCM/WAV's, but am not sure how those will work on your OS. It seems to be the ultimate, and some others just create problems.

For me (on the PC), I just automatically convert everything to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, whether I am having issues, or not.

It's kind of like Encore working with MPEG's w/ muxed MPEG Audio. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it does not. That is why I never Import any muxed Assets, and limit myself in the formats/CODEC's that I use - saves any problems. I feel that the Help files listing of accepted formats is sometimes a tad broad. Maybe some *'s, with a line like - "sometimes they'll work, and sometimes they will not... " Marketing will have a cow, but it might make life for users easier.

Not much help, as I was just thinking, and have done no work with AFF's myself. Maybe others will have some insight and tips.

Good luck, and hope that the Audio Track Keyframes do just what you want - or the Sub-mix Track.

Hunt

• 4. Re: audio rubberbanding simultaneously across linked clips?
                westonwoodbury Level 1

Bill,

I've experimented with the options out of MC;

It consolidates the media to a certain folder, and I have it covert everything it consolidates to WAV 48k 16-bit, as that's what the premiere preset I'm using is.

I tried it also as PCM (mxf wrapped) and AIFF.  Same stability issues with both formats as is with Wav, however Ppro has a problem reading the aiffs and many of the files just didn't playback any audio.

I think it's a translation error with the rubberbands/clip levels, it's copying something that it doesn't like that were put there in Avid, so pasting it crashes the software.

Thanks again!

- wb

• 5. Re: audio rubberbanding simultaneously across linked clips?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting.

Normally the Copy/Paste Attributes is pretty benign. Wonder what is causing the issue.

Good luck, and maybe someone else will have the suggestions to make it happen, as it should.

Hunt