11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2010 11:00 AM by able123

HDMI out from Timeline

Ronaldo Mendonca

Hi,

I am doing a job for an Art Gallery, in which I have to shoot, and do a quick edit (no effects), and output to a Full HD 1920x1080 TV.

I intend to buy a Panasonic AG-HMC70U Shoulder Mounted Camcorder, which stores AVCHD 1080/60i (NTSC) video in SD/SDHC Cards.

I intend to buy a Sony VAIO F VPCF127FX/B 16.4" Notebook Computer, with Windows 7 Premium 64 bit, processor 1.73GHz Intel Core i7-740QM, 6 GBs RAM, and nVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 1GB Dedicated.

Will I be able to output directly from CS-5 Timeline to TV, through notebook's HDMI out?

Thank you,

Ronaldo

• 1. Re: HDMI out from Timeline
          Level 4

you mean to monitor what you shot and review the imported footage on location or something ? You dont want to export the footage, you just want to LOOK at it on the TV ?  Sounds like you can just hook the tv up as a 2nd ( digital ) monitor..if your notebook has the connection...

so you'd hang out in the gallery and play the timeline for them but not have to look at the little notebook screen ? Is that what you want to do ??

• 2. Re: HDMI out from Timeline
            RDA972 Level 3

"Will I be able to output directly from CS-5 Timeline to TV, through notebook's HDMI out?"

I believe so. It works beautifully with XDCAM EX files and a Toshiba notebook outputting the CS5 timeline to a full HD Sony TV using the notebook's HDMI output.

I also successfully sent the same timeline to a full HD Sony monitor with SDI inputs via an HDMI to SDI converter.

• 3. Re: HDMI out from Timeline
              Ronaldo Mendonca Level 1

What my client wants is captured images during an art exhibition, to be edited and shown as fast as possible on a Full HD TV.

So, to make it faster, and not export to a DVD, burn a DVD, and have a DVD player do the job, I would like to do it directly from computer.

And because this will take place during several days, there will be videos added along the day, making final video aproximately 12 hours of video....so instead of burning several DVDs (and the time spent to generate/burn), I want to do it from Timeline.

My question then is - does CS-5 allow Timeline export of edited video to output through Sony Notebook HDMI - but without it looking like an extended monitor for Windows, just as it does output to a Firewire to tape?

I would phisycally try on equipament, but I havent bought it yet....

Thanks.

• 4. Re: HDMI out from Timeline
                Harm Millaard Level 7

How many disks in what configuration do you have in that notebook? If you have at least 5 you should be able to manage it, given proper preparation.

to be edited and shown as fast as possible on a Full HD TV.

Speed up your timeline to around 7200% or higher to make it manageable.

• 5. Re: HDMI out from Timeline
                  RDA972 Level 3

Ronaldo

If you want quality HDMI output, you need an external output device like the Matrox MX02 Mini.

I think it is exactlly what you need to to accomplish what you set out to do.

Visit Matrox's website to check it out.

And as Hunt will say, good luck.

• 6. Re: HDMI out from Timeline
                    Ronaldo Mendonca Level 1

Thank you all for your answers.

I plan to 2 Sony VAIO F VPCF127FX/B 16.4" Notebook Computer (one for editing, and 1 for playing video ot TV), plus 3 - 500 GBs External Hard Drives.

So as I am editing on HD 01, I can copy finished edit to HD 02, and plug into 2nd notebook playing to TV.

As images start to come, I can edit them on HD 01, and copy project to HD 03 (it will copy fast, because it will only be added videos and updated Premiere Project), and plug into playing to TV notebook.

So I always have either HD 02 or HD 03 being up dated and ready to be shown.

As I said before, I though out this structure, because artist will have some 10 to 15 hours of video, during the week the show will go on the art gallery.

And I had to think of the fastest way to edit and play video - the edits are simple, straight cuts, no effects nor transitions.

And because videos will be added at all times, it would be time comsuming to export and finalize a DVD - let alone the fact the finished product will be almost 15 hours.

Any other ideas are very welcomed.

Thanks,

Ronaldo

• 7. Re: HDMI out from Timeline
                      Level 4

I would get 1 Terabyte drives instead...they are not expensive. You might need the extra room if you have to do some exports to files.  Get the fastest ones you can for editing...esata better than fw800...make sure you turn off indexing and format NTFS and assign specific drive letters to the externals...put tape on driive with the drive letter you gave it clearly marked. If you dont you will have a hard time swapping them and maintaining links with your project(s).

dont partition any drives

when you say dvd you mean of course Blue Ray...for HD....  dvd is for SD....just dont forget when you look for disc burners.

There's a program called neoscene by cineform that a lot of people use for avchd footage....you might want to look into having that just in case.

Test the tv -- output real footage from timeline to the same HD Tv you plan to use at show ....output to make sure it likes interlaced footage.

You'll probably put OS and program on C drive

put pagefile on 2nd drive 1.5 x your ram with min and max size the SAME MAX SIZE so it never gets fragmented...do that first thing so the pagefile is near the center of disc.  I guess you said 2 internal and 3 external ? so you can put your scratchdisk on disc 2 also...and assets and any exports you need to do on the externals...

plan on having an "emergency" helper that REALLY knows whats up with the computer and editing stuff in case you get stuck and have to focus on shooting and need help ...line that up beforehand.

go to the gallery and see if you can do anything to enhance the lighting or color correct lights, windows etc beforehand...

test everything .....so you dont have surprises that make you crazy on the day.

good luck  sounds like fun..

one more reference just in case you want to check it out...

mainconcept mpeg pro hd 4 plug in for adobe premiere url

http://www.mainconcept.com/products/apps-plug-ins/mpeg-pro-hd.html

• 8. Re: HDMI out from Timeline
                        Ronaldo Mendonca Level 1

Thanks a lot robodog2

I have a few questions bellow in red:

I would get 1 Terabyte drives instead...they are not expensive. You might need the extra room if you have to do some exports to files.  Get the fastest ones you can for editing...esata better than fw800...make sure you turn off indexing and format NTFS and assign specific drive letters to the externals...put tape on driive with the drive letter you gave it clearly marked. If you dont you will have a hard time swapping them and maintaining links with your project(s).

Agree.

dont partition any drives

Agree.

when you say dvd you mean of course Blue Ray...for HD....  dvd is for SD....just dont forget when you look for disc burners.

Yes...Blue Ray, I keep saying DVD....

There's a program called neoscene by cineform that a lot of people use for avchd footage....you might want to look into having that just in case.

I'll check into it.

Test the tv -- output real footage from timeline to the same HD Tv you plan to use at show ....output to make sure it likes interlaced footage.

Here is the catch, I'm in Brazil, and this work will happen in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and we arrive 1 day before....this is why i'm trying to prepare as much as possible, in theory, before hand....

You'll probably put OS and program on C drive

Agree.

put pagefile on 2nd drive 1.5 x your ram with min and max size the SAME MAX SIZE so it never gets fragmented...do that first thing so the pagefile is near the center of disc.  I guess you said 2 internal and 3 external ? so you can put your scratchdisk on disc 2 also...and assets and any exports you need to do on the externals...

I will have 2 Sony VAIO F VPCF127FX/B 16.4" Notebook Computer, with Windows 7 Premium 64 bit, processor 1.73GHz Intel Core i7-740QM, 6 GBs RAM, and nVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 1GB Dedicated.

So, here you lost me...

1 - How do I - 1.5 x your ram with min and max size the SAME MAX SIZE so it never gets fragmented

2 - How do I do this pagefile to start at center of dics?

I will only have one internal disc, dedicated for OS.

Scratchdisk, assets and exports - I will have 3 external discs in total, one to edit, one for playing to, and the third one for copying....

plan on having an "emergency" helper that REALLY knows whats up with the computer and editing stuff in case you get stuck and have to focus on shooting and need help ...line that up beforehand.

Agree.

go to the gallery and see if you can do anything to enhance the lighting or color correct lights, windows etc beforehand...

test everything .....so you dont have surprises that make you crazy on the day.

That will be impossible as we arrive 1 day before...I'm taking my lights, tripods, color gels...

good luck  sounds like fun..

Thanks a lot...

one more reference just in case you want to check it out...

mainconcept mpeg pro hd 4 plug in for adobe premiere url

Excelent tip....

http://www.mainconcept.com/products/apps-plug-ins/mpeg-pro-hd.html

• 9. Re: HDMI out from Timeline
                          Level 4

Hi,

cool...sounds like you are doing well ...

-----------

I will have 2 Sony VAIO F VPCF127FX/B 16.4" Notebook Computer, with Windows 7 Premium 64 bit, processor 1.73GHz Intel Core i7-740QM, 6 GBs RAM, and nVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 1GB Dedicated.
                          So, here you lost me...
                          1 - How do I - 1.5 x your ram with min and max size the SAME MAX SIZE so it never gets fragmented
                          2 - How do I do this pagefile to start at center of dics?
                          I will only have one internal disc, dedicated for OS.

-----------

would be nice if you had 2 internal drives ...one for os and programs and one for your editing related stuff...like that scratchdisk, pagefile, etc...makes it WAY faster....really...on both machines I would try for the 2 internals....and stay with your plans for the externals..

the thing is, you need to spread the load of the hit on your resources as much as possible to keep the speed up...cause editing is VERY demanding on the computer resources...

So do what you can with that...get 2 internal drives if possible...and DONT partition them...your c drive might come from manufacturer with some stupid partition for recovery ( on the c drive ) ...and thats bad enough..  all the more reason to have that 2nd internal drive for scratchdisk, etc..

anyway, dont worry about that so much..its more for really editing and not so much for just "displaying" a video like you want to do.

you're from Brazil going to Michigan ? Do you know Addison Cook ?

hehe...if you do happen to know addison he's in nyc now and wife in Brazil and he's from Detroit area, ...he would be good to have with you for backup on shooting , lighting, directing and socializing while you solve computer stuff...

• 10. Re: HDMI out from Timeline
                            Ronaldo Mendonca Level 1

Hi,

I structure all my projects on an external hard drive, with folders:

- Captured video

- Audio

- Images

- Logos

- Premiere

- Exported Movies

What you are saying about scratchdisk on a second internal drive makes sense about speed, I just want to make sure of how tod do it.

On Edit>Preferences>Scratchdisks - there are - Captured Video, Captured Audio, Video Previews, Audio Previews, Media Cache, DVD Encoding - (didnt see pagefile....). Should I put all of these on second iternal drive? Or which ones.....?

And also the fact that I will have an external drive to plug into the other laptop that will play video on TV art the gallery - wouldnt these files on my second internal drive be needed?

I dont know Addison Cook....and yes, I am from Brazil, going to do a job in Michigan.

lets keep in touch, please write to my personal e-mail

ronaldo.mendonca@terra.com.br

Take care,

Ronaldo

• 11. Re: HDMI out from Timeline
                              Level 4

Harm could probably help you out more re: how to set up your scratchdisk and pagefile etc for the workflow you are planning...where you are going to be swapping externals with 2 different machines...

Bill Hunt also uses a lot of externals and uses a destop and laptop so maybe he can suggest also how to set that up for your particular workflow...for the show..

I'm only using one machine so its better if someone who's actually got the sort of setup you need to give advice about it...

you can "private mssg" Harm and Bill if you want to ask them specifically about this...