11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2010 10:10 AM by Tim Kurkoski

File I/O Open Error in export settings

EricGoosen

Hi

The AdobeAE twitter directed me here.

When I add a composition to the render queue and choose the output format to FLV or F4V I cannot change the format options. If I try and alter them I get File I/O Open Error when I try to click okay. This does not happen with other formats and it happens regardless of the composition. This has not happened to me before and I am a bit confused.

I am on Windows 7 Ultimate  and using CS4.

• 1. Re: File I/O Open Error in export settings
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Please post the exact wording of the error message (or better a screenshot of the error).

• 2. Re: File I/O Open Error in export settings
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yepp, please provide the error message. I get the feeling that this is unrealted to AE, anyway, but rather some security tool blocking "Internet files", including FLV/F4V.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: File I/O Open Error in export settings
              EricGoosen Level 1

Mylenium wrote:

Yepp, please provide the error message. I get the feeling that this is unrealted to AE, anyway, but rather some security tool blocking "Internet files", including FLV/F4V.

Mylenium

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

Please post the exact wording of the error message (or better a screenshot of the error).

Thanks for the replies. That actually is the exact error message. I can get some screen shots for you later tonight. I was going to post them in the orignial one but I decided to post without it. Yeah, it is odd, I have never had this error before and I am not certain what has changed. I have not, to my knowledge, added any security tools or anything. I will look into that.

• 4. Re: File I/O Open Error in export settings
                Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

What is the size and frame rate of your comp?  Most formats, including FLV and F4V, have limits for the largest size they can handle.  After Effects CS5 helps with this by giving you a warning when you exceed these limits and adjusting your output automatically, but earlier versions of After Effects may fail the render or give you an error like this one.

You may also want to try resetting your prefs.  Data about the exporters gets stored in there and if there's a bad data chunk it could be causing the failure.

• 5. Re: File I/O Open Error in export settings
                  EricGoosen Level 1

Please excuse me if I embed the links wrong as in I could have embedded the pictures. I am not used to this visual editor.

I took a series of screenshots and I hope this helps you.

Here is one of the Comp settings of a created composition:

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z150/thegaminggoose/?action=view&current=CompPreference s.jpg

Here is the error:

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z150/thegaminggoose/?action=view&current=CompError.jpg

Here is a new, pretty much blank comp I am going to set up:

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z150/thegaminggoose/?action=view&current=NewC-1.jpg

Here is my adding a new solid to the comp.

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z150/thegaminggoose/?action=view&current=LimeG-1.jpg

Here is the error after adding just a Green Solid in the comp to the render queue:

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z150/thegaminggoose/?action=view&current=GreenError.jpg

Here is the weird setting I am getting for FLV: Note that it shows (if you can read it 720 X 400) I cant seem to figure out how to change that. Typically I can. Either I am having a brain fart or I am lost.

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z150/thegaminggoose/?action=view&current=720-1.jpg

Thanks

And yes, I have had the comp the wrong size where I have had to change it; but this issue does not seem to be that error. When I choose a template that is already there, I still get the same error.

• 6. Re: File I/O Open Error in export settings
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Mmh, I have no clue, honestly. The specs look just fine and should work... I can only assume that there is a problem accessing an actual file or encoding preset involved in this. Hard to tell. I suggesst you download Sysinternals' Process Monitor, set it to filter on AfterFX.exe and monitor its access to registry and files. when you then invoke the encoder, you should see some failures listed in the logging window which may offer some clue as to what is going on...

Mylenium

• 7. Re: File I/O Open Error in export settings
                      EricGoosen Level 1

Yes, see it confused me too. It might be a preset, but I would find it odd that any installed plug-in or something would cause the error if I do not add it to the comp. I will probalby actually call Adobe and get a live person to help remotely. If they figure it out, I will let you know what they say.

Thanks for all of your help.

• 8. Re: File I/O Open Error in export settings

The "720x400" message that you are seeing is simply a comment about the preset.  The previous preset chosen (FLV - Widescreen Source) was designed to work best at that size.  That the comment lingers after you have changed to custom settings is something of a bug, though this whole dialog changed significantly in After Effects CS5 and that comments field isn't used.  In any case it's not relevant to the problem.

Following your steps I can't reproduce the problem.  I'd still like to know if resetting your prefs solves it, as I suspect the problem is related to a bad data chunk that's gotten into your prefs file.

Your prefs files are located at:

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects

Quit After Effects CS4, take the 9.0 folder located there and move it to your desktop.  Restart After Effects and it will recreate the folders and files.  Test the problem.  If it's solved, trash the old folder.  If the problem is not solved, you can quit After Effects and put your old preferences back.

• 9. Re: File I/O Open Error in export settings
                          EricGoosen Level 1
                          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Tim Kurkoski wrote:

The "720x400" message that you are seeing is simply a comment about the preset.  The previous preset chosen (FLV - Widescreen Source) was designed to work best at that size.  That the comment lingers after you have changed to custom settings is something of a bug, though this whole dialog changed significantly in After Effects CS5 and that comments field isn't used.  In any case it's not relevant to the problem.

Following your steps I can't reproduce the problem.  I'd still like to know if resetting your prefs solves it, as I suspect the problem is related to a bad data chunk that's gotten into your prefs file.

Your prefs files are located at:

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects

Quit After Effects CS4, take the 9.0 folder located there and move it to your desktop.  Restart After Effects and it will recreate the folders and files.  Test the problem.  If it's solved, trash the old folder.  If the problem is not solved, you can quit After Effects and put your old preferences back.

This is a dumb question I know, but I cannot find the 9.0 folder. Where should it be?

• 10. Re: File I/O Open Error in export settings
                            EricGoosen Level 1

Well

Moving preferences folder seems to have fixed the problem! YAY thank you time. I did not get the error this time and the file rendered fine.

Exactly, what do you think caused that issue or what do you think typically causes that issue? Also, what preferences did I reset? All of them?

Thank you.

• 11. Re: File I/O Open Error in export settings

> Exactly, what do you think caused that issue or what do you think typically causes that issue?

When the different export formats are initialized they store some data in the main preferences file.  It's probable that the chunk of data for FLV and F4V got into a bad state. (ie., corrupted.  Though I dislike using that word because it implies that an outside influence caused the problem, and it's more likely that After Effects somehow pretzel-twisted the data all by itself.)

> Also, what preferences did I reset? All of them?

Yes.  All options stored under the application preferences (ie., Edit > Preferences), as well as any Output Module or Render Settings presets you had created, custom workspaces, items from the File > Open Recent/Import Recent lists, etc.  With a few exceptions, after you move the preferences After Effects should behave like it did after the first time you installed it.

It probably wasn't necessary for you to remove that entire folder, though I recommend doing it this way just to be on the safe side.  It's likely that only the actual preferences file (Adobe After Effects 9.0 Prefs.txt) was at fault, and the other files in that folder could be restored if you want to get back your custom workspaces.  But if you're not missing anything since removing the old preferences folder, I'd just leave it as-is with the new settings.