8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2010 12:16 PM by Mylenium

After Effects Render Fail.

SammySausage

Just new to the program, followed a tuturial to make a cool intro for my videos. I have many effects for this comp but it's only 8 seconds long. When I open the render queue I move my comp in. So then I pick a place where it is to go, and choose video settings. Seen in picture below. I press render, the render completes in 1 second. Status : Failed at 0:00:00:00. I am left with a file thats empty in my project location. Something tells me I am doing something wrong with placing the animation in the comp.

Snap1.jpg

Here is a log file I recieve.

Adobe After Effects v9.0.2 (Windows) render log for project “Energy.aep”

Rendering started on 29/08/2010 at 22:44:14

29/08/2010 22:44:14: Starting composition “Comp 1”.

Output To: C:\Documents and Settings\Pat\My Documents\Adobe Projects\Comp 1.avi

29/08/2010 22:44:15: Finished composition “Comp 1”.

Total Time Elapsed: 0 Seconds

Log closed on 29/08/2010 at 22:44:15

After doing more research I tried holding down shift>Edit>Preferences>General>Secret, and enable the two options. I tried again and nothing happend. I tried two formats : Quick Time Movie and Window Movie File, Both failed.

My OS = Xp SP3, using AE Cs4, Ram 2gb, Dual Core Processor @ 2.14ghz.

Please reply what I am doing wrong.

• 1. Re: After Effects Render Fail.
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Output To: C:\Documents and Settings\Pat\My Documents\Adobe Projects\Comp 1.avi

But your screenshot shows that you're creating a QuickTime (.mov) movie. Those two pieces of information don't go together.

Check again and make sure that you're psoting the right log. Also, try the render again but this time set the Log value to Plus Per Frame Info so that more information can be gathered about what's failing.

• 2. Re: After Effects Render Fail.
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

BTW, if you're new to After Effects, I strongly recommend starting here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

• 3. Re: After Effects Render Fail.
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Turn off the embed XMP meta data option. Aside from that, if it is just for learning, there is no need to render this at HD res. I would also suggest to not start out with Andrew Kramer's projects and find something that a) you understand yourself and b) doesn't use features that are too taxing for your quite weak system. and yes, I wholeheartedly agree with Todd - read that help, you're fumbling in the dark and just pushing bttons without knowing what they mean quite obviously.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: After Effects Render Fail.
                SammySausage Level 1

I didn't say I was a complete noob! I have worked with photoshop for about 5 years now, and now just started using aftereffects. I get the jist of things and I am just fiddling around with some effects. I know now that the problem is nothing to do with my comp output setttings, It's probably got to do with my comp effects, mainly I found the same problems using the "vcreflet" plugin on projects or I could just be completely wrong. I tried creating a new comp and just with some simple text and it rendered just fine. Thanks for your quick support and I'll see how I get on.

Someone said the log file was the wrong one, my mistake.

Quick Time Movie:

Rendering started on 29/08/2010 at 22:53:40

29/08/2010 22:53:40: Starting composition “Comp 1”.

Output To: C:\Documents and Settings\Pat\My Documents\Adobe Projects\Comp 1.mov

didn’t delete empty file “Comp 1.mov” because it was larger than expected. (26  ::  170)
                  29/08/2010 22:54:00: Finished composition “Comp 1”.

Log closed on 29/08/2010 at 22:54:00

AVI:

Rendering started on 29/08/2010 at 22:51:53

29/08/2010 22:51:53: Starting composition “Comp 1”.

Output To: C:\Documents and Settings\Pat\My Documents\Adobe Projects\Comp 1.avi

29/08/2010 22:51:54: Finished composition “Comp 1”.

Log closed on 29/08/2010 at 22:51:54

• 5. Re: After Effects Render Fail.
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Did you do as I suggested and set the log to record per-frame information so that you can see where exactly the failure occurs?

• 6. Re: After Effects Render Fail.
                    SammySausage Level 1

hmm, I didn't bother, but... I managed to render the comp with different settings (Draft Settings) I have a feeling I need to do a good defrag of my computer.

• 7. Re: After Effects Render Fail.
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

I have a feeling I need to do a good defrag of my computer.

It wouldn't hurt, but what you REALLY need is more memory.  In AE terms, 2GB is NOTHING.   If you're trying to use multiprocessing, turn it off and leave it off.  Until you can upgrade your machine, you can't take advantage of multiprocessing.

• 8. Re: After Effects Render Fail.
                        Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Agree with Dave. And if you have done Photoshop for a few years, you can well imagine what it takes to process multiple frames/ buffers (=multiple images) at the same time. 2GB isn't even much for PS work these days, given that a single large RAW file could gobble it all up...

Mylenium