4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2007 1:51 PM by Newsgroup_User

Weird list issue in online .dcr

PpHammer
      Hi guys,

I am currenlty facing one of the weirdest bugs i've ever encountered. I am working on an online project and to sum it up without going into to much detail: it has 3d member, seperate textures, etc. It also contains text members with information (psuedo code) on how to build the 3d members with textures and all. At the beginning of the movie a property list is created with all this info. During the program this list is used to build stuff when necessary. The program has a main movie and 2 external castfiles. Everyhting works perfectly offline. Online however...

Everything is preloaded correctly (the external casts as well) and runs as should only ONCE. When refreshing the webpage the program crashes. After a LOT of debugging a found out a extremely strange bug (for me that is ;) ). Using the message window with the online version I noticed that always at the same point (after the refresh) in the code the list is suddenly gone. I am not even sure if it is void or just empty. I am very sure the list cannot be cleared by any other code,.. it just seems gone. Crashing the program immediately on the first repeat loop it encounters (the repeat loop is setup correctly btw). Again everyhting works perfectly offline...

A the moment I've tried everything I could think of. Even deconstructing the program to it's most simple form without any luck
      Anybody recognizes this problem? Any tips/tricks?

Grtz
      Pieter
        • 1. Re: Weird list issue in online .dcr
          Level 7
          When you refresh the web page that houses shockwave content, it should
          start the whole shockwave program over again from the beginning. I
          can't say why yours isn't, but what you can do to deal with it is find
          the place where it crashes. The first repeat loop that uses the list
          that gets blanked out. Check to see if the list exists, and if it is
          void. If it is void, then run whatever code needs to be run to rebuild
          the list. Then it should work fine.
          • 2. Re: Weird list issue in online .dcr
            PpHammer Level 1
            HI Mike,

Thanks for your reply. Rebuilding the list is exactly what I am doing right now, although I don't find it a particular nice solution. I did found the exact place where the program crashes. I am putting the count of the list in a variable. This is exactly the point where it crashes. However, only a line before this i put the list to the message window without any problems... and it only happens after a refresh (all kinds of browers btw). I did got it working online, but I am quite curious on how this could happen in the first place. Is it a director bug, memory issue?

THanks again!
            • 3. Re: Weird list issue in online .dcr
              PpHammer Level 1
              A small update on this.
              Even rebuilding the list directly before the repeat loop sometimes causes issues. Currently, about 1 out of 10 times the bug, as stated in my original post, occurs. It is so weird that this happens and I cannot explain it. Thankfully it doesnt occur all the time anymore... so it's at least a step in the right direction :)
              • 4. Re: Weird list issue in online .dcr
                Level 7

"PpHammer" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:f8te4j$off$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hi guys,
                >
                > I am currenlty facing one of the weirdest bugs i've ever encountered. I am
                > working on an online project and to sum it up without going into to much
                > detail: it has 3d member, seperate textures, etc. It also contains text
                > members
                > with information (psuedo code) on how to build the 3d members with
                > textures and
                > all. At the beginning of the movie a property list is created with all
                > this
                > info. During the program this list is used to build stuff when necessary.
                > The
                > program has a main movie and 2 external castfiles. Everyhting works
                > perfectly
                > offline. Online however...
                >
                > Everything is preloaded correctly (the external casts as well) and runs as
                > should only ONCE. When refreshing the webpage the program crashes. After a
                > LOT
                > of debugging a found out a extremely strange bug (for me that is ;) ).
                > Using
                > the message window with the online version I noticed that always at the
                > same
                > point (after the refresh) in the code the list is suddenly gone. I am not
                > even
                > sure if it is void or just empty. I am very sure the list cannot be
                > cleared by
                > any other code,.. it just seems gone. Crashing the program immediately on
                > the
                > first repeat loop it encounters (the repeat loop is setup correctly btw).
                > Again
                > everyhting works perfectly offline...
                >
                > A the moment I've tried everything I could think of. Even deconstructing
                > the
                > program to it's most simple form without any luck
                > Anybody recognizes this problem? Any tips/tricks?
                >
                > Grtz
                > Pieter
                >

Hi,
                what is the exact code you are using?

Richard.