2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2010 12:56 PM by Burk Wagner

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4.2.1 - Missing Matrox project presets

Justin Pamenter

Hi, here's the problem.

I have built two edit suites at work, both running Adobe Production Premium CS4 (Prem4.2.1) on Dell Precision T5400's running WinXP32bit and both have a Matrox MX02 Mini with the MtxUtils_201 drivers and software installed . No problems, running well.

Upstairs I have a classroom of the same PC's running exactly the same setup minus the Matrox MX02 Mini's. I want my students to be able to begin editing a project upstairs in a Matrox HD project in Premiere so that when they are ready to polish it in the final stages with Colour Correction etc, they can just take that Matrox HD project file and all the linked media downstairs to the edit suite where they can view their project on our broadcast monitors via the Matrox MX02 Mini.

I have read that you can install the Matrox Mtx.utils on a PC without the hardware which should give you all the Matrox presets in Premiere. I tried this on one of the PCs upstairs hoping that it would install all the Matrox presets in Premiere. The setup completed successfully and has installed Matrox preset files in the following directories:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\Settings\Editing Modes
      C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro C\Settings\SequencePresets

However when I start up Premiere I cannot see the Matrox Preset folders or anything in the Matrox control panel on the task bar. I also tried this at home on my Windows 7 box with the same results.

Is my logic correct? Should I be able to install the Matrox Mtx.utils on a PC without the Matrox MX02 Mini hardware installed and still get access to all the Premiere Matrox presets so that I can begin work on a Matrox Premiere project on that PC and then transfer it to our edit suites with the Matrox MX02 Mini hardware? If this is correct, then what do I need to do to fix my missing Matrox presets in Premiere on the PC without the hardware?

Regards,
      Justin

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS4.2.1 - Missing Matrox project presets
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I have read

If you read that somewhere... did that place also have instructions?

What does the Matrox web site say about installing their software in a computer without their hardware?

Matrox MAY be different... but when I install the Pinnacle software to go with a Dv500 card (via dual boot with WinXP to install Premiere 6.5 to use the Dv500) my understanding has always been that the Pinnacle software would ONLY work with the Pinnacle card installed... which includes any of the Pinnacle "stuff" being available to be used in that old version of Premiere

I will guess that the Matrox software is the same... install it all you want, but only use it if the Matrox hardware is present

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS4.2.1 - Missing Matrox project presets
            Burk Wagner Level 1

You might be thinking of the separate VfW codec files, which allow

you to DECODE files compressed with one of the Matrox codecs.  These are available on the Support tab of the Matrox / Matrox Video / Downloads web page.  The documentation there also explains what you can accomplish with the VfW program.