9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2010 5:27 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 7: crawling title smoothly going over into transparency

Frank_Binko

I want move a crawling title into transparency without a hard edge.

Like in the video here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3013801#3013801, but with a video as background (instead of black), with fade only on one side, without changing position, just a simple crawling title smoothly moving into nothing.

My tries:

1. Crawling title over background video (here: animated EPS, because I need two rows/a heading over text), a cropped part of the background video over the crawling title, chroma key filtering the black background. That cropped part covers the crawling title. It works fine, but the edge is hard. Blurring is no use here until I cannot blur out/fade out only the edge and not the whole video.
      2. Different tries with track matte key/image matte key and blurred shapes with titles. I think I need 4 tracks to do that, because the EPS must be over the background and under the matte, but track matte key effect apparently only works on 3 following tracks (video 1, 2 and 3; see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/709588?tstart=0). A try with 3 tracks, track matte key/image matte key on the EPS itself and background video is no use, because the fade out effect moves with the text (although I did not animate the matte). I cannot use chroma key on blurred areas, too. The smoothness will be destroyed.

Any ideas? My head aches.

Perhaps this can't be done. Perhaps my brain is in the wrong state. Hope you can understand my idea. Thanks for going into. Couldn't find anything via web/forum search.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7: crawling title smoothly going over into transparency
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can't you just right-click on the title clip (in Timeline mode, of course) and select Fade Out.

Your title will crawl over the background clip and then fade away to transparency.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7: crawling title smoothly going over into transparency
            Frank_Binko Level 1

No, it should not fade out in whole but only a small area on the left side (like in the YouTube video above) while the rest of the text could still be read (until it is crawled out of the screen).

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7: crawling title smoothly going over into transparency
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Frank,

In that article that you linked to, I had suggested using Track Matte Keying, and gave an example of a "two-sided" Track Matte. If I understand correctly, you only need a "one-sided" Track Matte.

Now, when you create your Title, it will appear in Titler with a black background, but that is Transparent, i.e. your Video on the lowest Track will show through. Also, with the Presets, you cannot animate two lines of Text on one Title, but you can address this in two ways: create one Title for each line of Text, but I would much rather than animate with Keyframes on the fixed Effect>Motion>Position. This allows much more control.

You will also animate your Track Matte with Effect>Motion>Position, and alter it's speed to suit.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7: crawling title smoothly going over into transparency
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This was likely created with Apple's Live Type program on a Mac.

There is a Text Animation for fading in, but not fading out, your text one letter at a time.

There is likely a way to do it - There usually is with Premiere Elements. But probably not automatically.

If you have any of my books you should check out the section on the Gradient Wipe. It can be used to create wipes based on almost any pattern you provide. It's probably the simplest way to do it.

You'll also find step-by-step instructions for building gradient wipes in my new "Cool Tricks' book.

http://Muvipix.com/CoolTricks

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7: crawling title smoothly going over into transparency
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I just did a test Project with Video on Track 1, and the Title (two lines) on Video Track 2. I animated the Title to do a slow Crawl across the screen, from left to right with the fixed Effect>Motion>Position, and only animated the horizontal Motion.

I add the Linear Wipe Transition to the Title, and animated it to affect the Title, as it neared the right-hand side of the Frame. I set the Angle of the Linear Wipe to 270 degrees, to affect only the right-hand side of the Title, and set the Feather to 90%. It worked as per your example, and my Video was visible in the background.

Now, for ease and quickness, I used PrPro, so will have to go back and check that the Linear Wipe Transition Effect is available, and that you can both animate and also apply the above settings, in PrE. I believe that the Effect is available, and that the ability to Keyframe it, and adjust it, will also be available.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7: crawling title smoothly going over into transparency
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a link to the tutorial on Muvipix.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7: crawling title smoothly going over into transparency
                      Frank_Binko Level 1

Your help is great! Can't believe you made a tutorial, Bill. Thanks.

But unfortunately the gradient wipe transition did not work and I do not understand what a transition should be useful in my case. I want to permanently blur a part of the crawl title exactly like in Bill's tutorial.

I cannot find a linear wipe transition effect (is it a transition or effect in PrEl? I searched both), neither in PrEls help nor in PrEl itself. Perhaps I overlooked because I only got german terms. Could you give me a hint for PrEl?

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 7: crawling title smoothly going over into transparency
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The Linear Wipe Transition is actually an Effect. Though it is most often used as a Transition, it can be applied, in this case, to an animated Title.

I have not had time to look in PrE 4 yet, but hope to get to that this afternoon. Will post what I find there.

Now, looking at the example, is that about what you are hoping to do?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 7: crawling title smoothly going over into transparency
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Just got back from PrE. I found out some things.

After doing the Fading Title Crawl tutorial in PrPro, I looked at PrE 4, and it does not have the Linear Wipe Transition Effect. I began thinking of how to duplicate this effect in PrE, and came up with this workflow.

In PrE, place your Video on Video Track 1. Duplicate it (or drag another Instance of it to the Timeline, and place it on Video Track 3. Note: In PrE, this is not the easiest of tasks, as the program wants to place all Assets onto Video Track 1. Move the CTI to the very end of the Timeline (you can hit End too), drag the duplicate, or an Instance of that Video to the Timeline and then drag it to Video Track 3.

Create your Title, and place it onto Video Track 2, then use Keyframes to animate it using the fixed Effect>Motion>Position to suit. In this case, I again used Linear Keyframe Velocity, with no Bezier controls, or Ease-In and Ease-out.

At this point, we have the original Video on Track 1, the animated Title on Track 2 and the duplicate of the Video on Track 3. We cannot see the Title - yet.

Now, we need to limit that duplicate Video to just cover the right-edge of the Frame, and then Feather the edge. To do this, create another Title (our Matte Title), with a white Rectangle on the lower and far-right. Drag that to Video Track 4. Apply the Track Matte Keying Effect to the duplicate Video, and point it to the Title on Video Track 4, choosing Alpha. This will place a small segment of the duplicate Video only, above the animated Title. We want to Feather the leading edge, so on the Matte Title., add Fast Blur, and adjust to suit.

We now have our animated Title passing below the dupe Video segment, that is constrained by the Matte Title (Feathered edge now).

Hope that this helps PrE users.

I have updated the tutorial at Muvipix.

Hunt