13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2010 12:44 AM by Fuffipat

XML import problem in CS5

Fuffipat

Hope you guys can heIp me.

I have something like 20 or 30 FCP files that I want to import into Premiere CS5 Trial. I have a friend with Final Cut Pro(version 6) and i converted all the FCP-files into XML Documents. The problem starts when i try to import these XML documents into Premiere. A couple XML-files worked flawlessly, but with most of them i got this error:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------

File Import Failture:

C:\Users\"user"\AppData\Local\Temp\"Filename".prproj

Error Message:

This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type

.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------

I've found one thread with the same error:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2183914

But the fix didn't work, and i don't have any " I-Frame Only MPEG" in my XML documents.

I've opened the XML documents with Wordpad and noticed that all working files are with <codec> <name> Apple DV - NTSC </name> while those which aren't working are <codec> <name> Apple HDV 1080i60 </name> or 50i.

Is it a problem with the codec? Is it possible to fix the problem in premiere or do i need Final Cut?

Hope there's a solution, 'cause it really is the last thing that needs to work before buying the full version.

• 1. Re: XML import problem in CS5
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Assuming you are on a PC, the Apple HDV files will not work, since

this codec does not exist for Windows. Transcode the files to
          something else (I'd use ProRes) using FCP.
          • 3. Re: XML import problem in CS5
            Fuffipat Level 1

So what you are saying is, that it will work with the codecs mentioned above in the full version of Premiere Pro CS5?

• 5. Re: XML import problem in CS5
              Colin Brougham Level 6

NO. This is not a trial issue. That codec will not work on Windows, period. There is no decoding component for it on Windows, so your only choice is to transcode the files to something that can be edited on the PC by using FCP (which is why I suggested ProRes).

• 6. Re: XML import problem in CS5
                Fuffipat Level 1

I know i'm being a pain in the a** about this, but i want to be absolutely certain:

Apple DV is supported by windows but Apple HDV is not?

...and that is why my XML documents with the Apple DV codec are working fine and the others aren't?

The reason why i'm asking this is because the URL's Harm and John posted made me believe that it's just a trial issue?

Limitations of the Premiere Pro CS5 and CS4 trial versions:

1. The following Sequence presets:

HDV

2. The following AVC-Intra presets:

1080i

3. 4. The following edit modes:

HDV

???

Hope someone can clarify this?

• 7. Re: XML import problem in CS5
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

QuickTime is completely separate from the rest of the codec support within Premiere. If you have video wrapped in a QuickTime MOV container, it does not operate the same way as if it were in a different container. Since QuickTime is its own architecture, the file format support limitations do not apply to it.

The problem is that Apple has never made available Windows decoding components for a number of codecs, like HDV (which is more than likely their awful Apple Intermediate Codec), and XDCAM. Can you play these files in QuickTime player? If so, then it's Premiere. If you can't, then that's simply the limitation of QuickTime on Windows.

You certainly don't have to believe me, but since I do work cross-platform on an almost-daily basis (and I actually read your question and answered it three times now), it's up to you to decide what to believe.

• 8. Re: XML import problem in CS5
                    Fuffipat Level 1

Now i'm a bit confused.

I have a colleague who has the full version of Premiere Pro CS5 installed on his home computer. He had no problems importing the XML files that didn't work on my trial version at work.

Therefore - I assume that it will work once i get the full version? Does anyone know if i'll run into problems later in editing/exporting when using the codecs mentioned above or is everything ok once i get the projects imported? Or another way to ask: Would it be an advantage to me if i to convert the captured video into Prores? (easier to work with once i get into premiere), Or does not make a difference?

• 9. Re: XML import problem in CS5
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

I have a colleague who has the full version of Premiere Pro CS5 installed on his home computer. He had no problems importing the XML files that didn't work on my trial version at work.

Is he on a Mac? With FCP installed?

• 10. Re: XML import problem in CS5
                        Fuffipat Level 1

Nope - he's on a PC. No FCP

• 11. Re: XML import problem in CS5
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Then the files can't be HDV. Unless he's got some bizarre codec pack that enables playback, there is no clear means of getting those files to play on Windows or in Premiere that I'm aware of. The files that don't work have an MOV extension, right? What is the original source of the footage--tape or some tapeless format?

Do you have a short file example you could upload somewhere? I really want to get a look at these files, because my interest is piqued now. Something magical is going on here...

• 12. Re: XML import problem in CS5
                            Fuffipat Level 1

I don't have any files under 100 mb. Maybe dropbox will work?

Anyways, i should let you know that we didn't actually test the captured files at my colleagues PC - we only tested the XML documents. But he DIDN'T get the error message that i got. Premiere just asked where the project files were located as it should AND as it did in the first place with the files that worked on my trial version.

I don't know if he'll get a new error if tries to import the actual footage, but there must be something different going on when he is able to get to the point where Premiere asks for the media - right?

I may be able to upload a short .mov clip that doesn't work (in premiere or regular playback) or i could send you a XML document that works and one that doesn't?

• 13. Re: XML import problem in CS5
                              Fuffipat Level 1

And i'm pretty sure that the footage is from a tape, but i'm not a 100% sure about this. I'll look into it...