18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2011 7:48 AM by jbbaaa

Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO

Solarmarauder

Hello everyone.

I managed to upgrade the package installer for version 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. using the command obtained from the original documentation from Adobe:

msiexec / a "\ \ Distribution point_Computer \ Distribution Point Share \ Managed_Distribution_Application \ AcroPro.msi "/ p" \ \ Source_Computer \ Source_Share \ Managed_Source_Application \ patch_file "

If I apply for GPO the resulting files from the above command on a clean system, it works and let the version 9.3.4 installed

If I try to update with the same GPO a system that was already version 9.3.3, installing (I know because he creates a new Reader icon on the desktop) but is still version 9.3.3. without installing the 9.3.4.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO
          davestal

I'm in a very similar situation, but what I have found is that after Group Policy uninstalls version 9.3.3 and installs 9.3.4, Adobe Reader is listed as 9.3.4 in Add/Remove Programs.  On the initial About Adobe Reader 9 info screen, version 9.3.3 is listed, but if clicked on, the version changes to 9.3.4.218.  Adobe Reader keeps nagging the user to update to 9.3.4 and that seems to resolve the issue, but the whole purpose for using us using Group Policy Software Installs is to prevent human intervention.

David Vestal

• 2. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO
            killurpig4

I am having the same problem. If it helps to know I am running a dell inspiron 530 with windows 7 64bit

• 3. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO
              Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

While deploying the new package (AIP for Reader 9.3.4) via GPO, can you please confirm if you follow the following listed steps:

1. Create the new AIP for Reader 9.3.4

2.  On your server, from the Group Policy management console, delink the  earlier AIP/GPO package from the OU. In your case: Delink the Reader 9.3.3 AIP

3. Link the newly created Reader 9.3.4 AIP

4. Restarted the client.

The reason why I am asking you to validate Step 2 is that, if you do not delink the already existing GPO package from the OU, the system tries to install the new package, via the following command:

msiexec /i <msi inside AIP> REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus

This command won't give correct results all the time (and should be avoided) and maybe the resultant effect on your system is a manifestation of the same.

You can try doing the above steps again in your setup. This should (hopefully) install Reader 9.3.4 correctly on your system.!!

• 4. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO
                Solarmarauder Level 1

Hello.

I explain better the scenario.

All clients are installed with Reader 9.3.3. from the beginning (a installation through Microsoft MDT). I have no GPO in which I can "dismantle" the previous version. I want to upgrade via a new GPO version already installed on the clients with the update (and all they come out in the future).

Perhaps that is not properly update a Reader but then, how to apply a. Msp by GPO?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO
                  ITGuy11

I removed the GPO link as you suggested and then relinked it.  The update successfully installed but users still get a prompt that the 9.3.4 update is ready to install in their system tray.  If they try to install the update they get: Error 1625.  This is on Windows 7 x64 client machines.

The updater doesn't recogonize that the update is already installed.  How do I get rid of the update notification?

• 6. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO

Hi ITGuy11,

With respect to your problem, can you please confirm the steps you have performed to deploy Reader 9.3.4 via GPO.

1. Did you create a new AIP for Reader 9.3.4 or did you update the existing 9.3.3 AIP with 9.3.4 Patch?
                       - You should be creating a new AIP for deploying any new version of Reader. Copy the existing AIP with a different name in the same folder location and then use this to create an AIP for Reader 9.3.4

2. When you say you delinked and relinked the GPO what was it exactly that you meant? Did you mean that you delinked the 9.3.3 GPO and relinked the same again?
                       - You should delink the GPO for 9.3.3. Create a new GPO for 9.3.4 and then link this 9.3.4 GPO to the same OU. This will uninstall the existing installation of Reader 9.3.3 and install the new installation for 9.3.4

3. Also, what is the version of Reader that you are seeing in the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

• 7. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO

Hi Solarmarauder,

The process that you are following is not the most best process for enterprise deployment, since Adobe recommends that you install a GPO on a clean machine and hence, your setup does not work properly with a previous manual/MDT install.

If you plan to use GPO for enterprise deployment, its better to manage the whole enterprise installations via GPO alone and not incorporate MDT or likewise inbetween.

If you want to push the MSP to an already installed version of Reader 9.3.3, it would be very convenient for you to use SMS to push the MSP. The following link would help you out in this regard.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/sms_9.pdf

If you still want to use a GPO for your update, you can try uninstalling Adobe Reader from the client systems (can be achieved by using the startup script while creating a new GPO and then achieving the uninstall successfully). Once the uninstall operation completes, you can then deploy a fresh GPO package for Reader 9.3.4. Going forthe you would just have t o delink this GPO and link a fresh GPO for further updates.

Hope this helps.

• 8. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO
                        ITGuy11 Level 1

Here is what I did:

Created a new AIP

Patched the MSI files in the AIP up to the 9.3.4 update

Created a new GPO

Created a new Adobe Reader software installation package

Linked the GPO to a test OU

Rebooted a client machine (Win 7 x64) located in the test OU client (machine already has Adobe Reader 9.3.3 installed)

Machine rebooted and installed Adobe Reader 9.3.4 per the GPO

Upon user login, Adobe Updater says that an update is ready to install (9.3.4) Click install and get Update Failed - Error 1625

adbe error.jpg

It is like the updater is stuck trying to install the update, when it is already installed.

Add/Remove Programs shows that Adobe Reader version 9.3.4 is installed

• 9. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO

Hi,

When you are linking the newly created GPO to the test OU, did you delink the already existing GPO (For Reader 9.3.3) from the OU? Your steps do not mention this process.

I am assuming that Reader 9.3.3 on the client machines (in your OU), was installed via a GPO as well. So you need to delink the earlier GPO and then link the newly created GPO to the OU, to be able to successfully install Reader 9.3.4 on your client systems.

1. Assuming your earlier GPO was called Reader 9.3.3

2. You have created a new GPO say Reader 9.3.4 (which uses a fresh AIP for Reader 9.3.4)

3. Reader 9.3.3 GPO must be linked with your Test OU already. (Since your client machines already have Reader 9.3.3 installed)

4. Delink the Reader 9.3.3 GPO from the Test OU

5. Link the Reader 9.3.4 GPO to your Test OU.

6. Restart your client machines present in the Test OU

7. Reader 9.3.4 should be successfully installed.

Updater is prompting you to install 9.3.4 again, cause your 9.3.4 installation via GPO was not successful. If you follow the above steps, you will not be bothered by the Adobe Updater again, cause your machines will have a proper installation of Adobe Reader 9.3.4.

• 10. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO
                            ITGuy11 Level 1

I did exactly as you instructed.  Adobe Reader 9.3.4 successfully installs on the machines.  Go to Reader > Help > About shows version 9.3.4.  Programs/Features in control panel shows version 9.3.4 installed.  However the updater still nags that an update is ready to be installed.  Click install and get the Update Failed Error 1625.  It is like the updater has cached the update and tries to install everytime the machines boot.  Very frustrating...

• 11. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO

This is weird... The updater shouldn't be trying to install the update if you have successfully installed Reader 9.3.4.

Can you please perform the following steps to be sure that you have successfully installed reader 9.3.4:

1. Go to Reader > Help > About. You must be seeing 9.3.4 as the version installed on the splash screen. Press "Space" and notice the version that comes up herafter. Is it something like 9.3.4.xxxxx

2. Can you check the values of the following registries as well. (Start > Run > Type regedit)

HKLM > Software > Adobe > Acrobat Reader > 9.0 > Installer > VersionMax

HKLM > Software > Adobe > Acrobat Reader > 9.0 > Installer > VersionMin

3. Read somewhere on the forum that everytime the updater runs, it creates a log file (AdobeARM.log) at the location %temp%. Can you analyze the contents and post the same, so that we may isolate the problem.

• 12. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO
                                ITGuy11 Level 1

1. Go to Reader > Help > About. You must be seeing 9.3.4 as the  version installed on the splash screen. Press "Space" and notice the  version that comes up herafter. Is it something like 9.3.4.xxxxx   - I have version 9.3.4.218

2. Can you check the values of the following registries as well. (Start > Run > Type regedit)

HKLM > Software > Adobe > Acrobat Reader > 9.0 > Installer > VersionMax

HKLM > Software > Adobe > Acrobat Reader > 9.0 > Installer > VersionMin

These registery entries are not present in the Installer branch...

3. Read somewhere on the forum that everytime the updater runs, it  creates a log file (AdobeARM.log) at the location %temp%. Can you  analyze the contents and post the same, so that we may isolate the  problem.

Here are the logfile contents:

[2010-09-09 07:02:35] Adobe ARM 1.4.5.0 logging started.
                                [2010-09-09 07:02:35] Command Line: /PRODUCT:Acrobat /VERSION:9.0 /MODE:2
                                [2010-09-09 07:02:35] ProductCode: {AC76BA86-1033-F400-BA7E-000000000004}
                                [2010-09-09 07:02:35] ProductName: Adobe Acrobat  9 Standard - English, Français, Deutsch
                                [2010-09-09 07:02:35] ProductVersion: 9.3.3
                                [2010-09-09 07:02:35] ProductRegistry: SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\9.0
                                [2010-09-09 07:02:35] ProductInstallDir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\
                                [2010-09-09 07:02:35] Found CommandLine preference AUTO_DOWNLOAD.
                                [2010-09-09 07:02:38] ArmUpdate record found.
                                [2010-09-09 07:02:38] Newer version ARM Update is not available.
                                [2010-09-09 07:02:38] New file object: AcrobatUpd934_all_incr.msp
                                [2010-09-09 09:00:36] InstallProductMsp...
                                [2010-09-09 09:00:36]    file - C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Acrobat\9.3\ARM\AcrobatUpd934_all_incr.msp
                                [2010-09-09 09:00:36]    args -
                                [2010-09-09 09:00:36] Installation error code:
                                [2010-09-09 09:00:36]    Error Code: 1625

[2010-09-09 09:00:36] Error Code: 1625

[2010-09-09 09:00:36] ** Setting Error Condition:
                                [2010-09-09 09:00:36]    Error Code: 1500

[2010-09-09 09:00:36] Error Code: 122

[2010-09-09 09:00:38] User exited
                                [2010-09-09 09:00:38] Delete file: C:\Users\dmaatz\AppData\Local\Temp\ArmUI.ini
                                [2010-09-09 09:00:38]    Error Code: 2

[2010-09-09 09:00:38] C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Acrobat\9.3\ARM\
                                [2010-09-09 09:00:38]    GetLastError(): 145 - The directory is not empty.

[2010-09-09 09:00:38] ARM returns ERROR_SUCCESS
                                [2010-09-09 09:00:38] Adobe ARM 1.4.5.0 logging finished.

• 13. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO

Thanks for the information provided. Helped to isolate the reason behind your problem.

The reason why updater is prompting you to install an update, is because its trying to update Adobe Acrobat 9.3.3 which is also present on your system. This can be gauged from the following lines in the AdobeARM.log:

[2010-09-09 07:02:35] ProductName: Adobe Acrobat  9 Standard - English, Français, Deutsch
                                  [2010-09-09 07:02:35] ProductVersion: 9.3.3

Thats the reason its prompting you to update, since Adobe Acrobat is not uptodate with the latest version i.e. 9.3.4. Was this also installed as part of the enterprise setup in your network? If so, it would be a better if you can install it through the same deployment mechanism as well to avoid a mix of two installation techniques.

P.S. By the way, the registry entries were not present since, I forgot that you were using a 64 bit machine. The correct patch to the registry entries would have been:

HKLM > Software > Wow6432Node > Adobe > Acrobat Reader > 9.0 > Installer > VersionMax

HKLM > Software > Wow6432Node > Adobe > Acrobat Reader > 9.0 > Installer > VersionMin

Hope this helps..

• 14. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO
                                    ITGuy11 Level 1

You are correct, the problem appears to be with Acrobat not updating to 9.3.4 when both

Reader and Acrobat are installed on the same machine.  Do you have any suggestions on how to get Acrobat updated successfully?  Acrobat was installed manually not using GPO.

• 15. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO

Its not a problem when both Acrobat and Reader are installed on the same machine, but it happens due to some issue with the updater and UAC. The below thread describes the same.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3013083#3013083

You can follow the same steps, i.e.

1. Start Adobe Acrobat by right clicking it's icon and selecting "Run as Administrator"

2. And then navigate to Help > Check for Updates. Follow the dialogs that appear and you should be good to go.

• 16. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO
                                        ITGuy11 Level 1

This workaround fixed the update issue.  Will future Adobe updates be corrected so that there is not an issue with UAC?  It is very frustrating to have to manually update each machine.

• 17. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO

Glad to know that it worked for you as well..

As far as your question is concerned, I really dont have any clue about that, I am also a Reader user like you.   Maybe someone from Adobe support might be able to give you a better response regarding this.

Well, it really isnt necessary for you to manually update each machine, you just have to open, Adobe Acrobat as an "Administrator" and the automatic updater would do the rest. Its not necessary for you to perform a Help > Check For Update everytime. The Acrobat Updater will run automatically as well.

• 18. Re: Cannot update Reader 9.3.3. to 9.3.4. by GPO
                                            jbbaaa

Maybe this step-by-step guide how to make a package of Adobe Acrobat Reader will help you and future readers:

http://www.sysadminlab.net/other/modify-the-installation-of-adobe-reader-for-mdt-sccm-or-o ther-deployment