5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 7:22 AM by JBSlater

Fatal error with 9.3.3

JBSlater

I had version 9.3.1 and when I clicked on a file I'd get a "Fatal error: Acrobat failed to connect to a DDE server" So I uninstalled and downloaded 9.3.3 and now when I click on a PDF file, I get nothing. I've gone into control panel and done the repair thing - it seemed to be re-installing the program. When I go to programs and try to open the program, nothing happens. Any ideas? or where I can get an old version that WORKS!??

• 1. Re: Fatal error with 9.3.3
          JBSlater Level 1

Ok I'm still gettng this message about failing to connect to a DDE server. What is that

about?????

• 2. Re: Fatal error with 9.3.3
            pwillener Level 8

I have never seen this message, nor do I know what it means.

Just F.Y.I. you can get any previous Adobe Reader version by navigating the Adobe FTP site ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/

• 3. Re: Fatal error with 9.3.3
              Anuradha Jangid

This seems to be a problem where the access of Adobe Reader is being blocked by either some Antivirus setting or any other application. Please try:

1. Get the latest version of Adobe Reader 9.3.4 from http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=BUIGO install and check if the issue gets resolved.

2. If not check Antivirus/ antispyware if their settings are blocking Adobe Reader. Change the settings or turn them off.

3. Repair the installation from “Add and Remove” (control panel) entry, kill running AcroRd32.exe processes and then restart the system.

• 4. Re: Fatal error with 9.3.3
                JBSlater Level 1

Thanks for your suggestions thus far. I did a search on Adobe for DDE server and I can't understand what I read but it may be a Windows server or something in Windows that allows Adobe to work properly??? I still need answers if anyone has any.

• 5. Re: Fatal error with 9.3.3
                  JBSlater Level 1

From Windows "

Enables a DDE server application to impersonate a DDE client application's security context. This protects secure server data from unauthorized DDE clients.

I haven't tried this yet but looks like a place to start:

You may try the steps as below and check if the issue gets fixed.

Note DDE is Dynamic data exchange and the Explorer uses DDE to open Office documents (supposed you open the document from the explorer window).

DDE Share is a tool for managing the way programs communicate and share data over a network. If you wish to disable this prompt then you may follow the below steps. Here, this issue could occur if you have installed any security program on your computer you may get this error message.  Try to turn off the on-access scanning for the application control policy in your security program and check for the issue. To do that you need to contact your security program support team.

For further information on this you may visit the below links.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/392875?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1877300#1877300

If you still face the issue then you may perform a cleanboot on your computer to identify the conflicting program.

Clean Boot Troubleshooting.

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

User Account Control permission.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the

password, Or click Continue.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup items check box.

4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5. Click OK.

6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

7. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

If the issue is resolved check which third party program is causing the problem, referring the link given below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Reset the computer to start as usual.

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.