3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2010 4:57 AM by nealeh

tell me if I'm wrong

mikejc111

Well this isn't a question, just a collection of thoughts based on tests I've carried out over the last week.

Streamclip is a valued companion to Pre EL so I don't mind talking about it. It does seem as if the old problem of bringing in mpeg or vob files and seeing their picture quality get altered is now solved. You can either start your Prem El project with the Flash settings, or go with the more traditional DV, which is good if you can unify all your clips to DV-avi first. I think I'm right in saying that Streamclip (and the settings recommended in the FAQ section) have produced the best results so far in converting to DV - although you actually have to choose DVCPRO, but Prem El 8 treats it and works with it as if its a DV. And as far as I can tell the quality isn't compromised at all!.I consider this a quantum leap toward the perfect messiah codec that we all wait for - you know the one that every codec in the world converts into perfectly with no evidence of a change, and that all editors work with effortlessly. It hasn't appeared yet but this is a major step in that direction.

These are results of my tests this week:

MPEG Streamclip's website boasts that DV is one of the codecs that Streamclip can import. A DV test file that was captured through firewire using moviemaker, then exported (published) as a DV also using moviemaker, will NOT be accepted by Streamclip for processing. Actually neither the exported video nor the pure capture file will be accepted.

Exactly the same clip (from the same external camcorder), captured this time by Premier Elements 8 captured as a DV-avi, and exported by it as a DV-avi, WILL be accepted by Streamclip with no fuss whatsoever.

Conclusion:  There's DV-avi files and there's DV-avi files! I've no idea what Moviemaker is doing to them, but a stetson dip to Adobe I think.

My second result I hope you think is not too much of a moot point, but you can in Streamclip choose different settings for Interlacing and stuff, and I'm pleased to report that the settings recommended in the FAQ next door are the best for this. However a DVCPRO export from a vob source from streamclip will show beautifully when played back using WMP, and will show no unwanted artifacts. However, WMP doesn't do well playing back all codecs and for that, many sing the praises of the revered VLC player, and use it to reassure themselves that the codec is fine when WMP complains.

When we have a DVCPRO clip, Streamclipped from a vob source, the VLC player is putting horizontal interlacing lines on it, which won't go away when you go into its settings and get it to deinterlace and or blend - which is the cure for  this problem if it's playing back a vob or an mpeg.

WMP plays the Streamclipped back beautifully - which is odd! The good news is that none of these horizontal lines are there when you make your final DVD working with these DVCPRO files.

Now I know this isn't the forum for VLC issues, I understand that, but if like me you use the VLC player to reassure yourself that your codec is sound, and you see these horrible lines then ignore them because they won't show on your final disc. If you have made a sequence of clips that are only to be played back on a computer then it seems to be that WMP is the better choice if some of them are sourced from this vob-Streamclip DVCPRO process. WMP after all functions at its best with the Dv-avi codec anyway. I wish it weren't the case, but bringing these clips into Prem El and exporting them out as DV-avi's does NOT filter out this issue (though I wish it did). Same with Moviemaker.

Conclusion: If you love the multi talented VLC player to check the playback fo your various codecs and are worried that Streamclip's efforts to turn vobs into DVCPROs results in interlacing issues on this player, they WON'T show up on your final DVD that Prem El 8 produces so don't let the VLC scare you with it.

Previous conclusion: Streamclip accepts Prem El firewire DV captures, and rejects Moviemaker firewire DV captures.

Perhaps both of these matters suggest one thing - not all DV avi files are the same..........

Thank you for listening.

So these are my thoughts for the day

mike

• 1. Re: tell me if I'm wrong
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Lots of great thoughts, Mike, and thanks for sharing your research!

I'm especially glad to hear that the settings we recommend in our FAQs are producing great results. That's, of course, why I recommend them in my books!

As the for difference in video captured in MovieMaker and video captured in Premiere Elements, the very subtle difference is that Microsoft products tend to produce and use Type 1 AVIs while pretty much the rest of the world uses Type 2.

You can look up the difference if you'd like -- but it's all gobblegook to me:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/dvavi.mspx

Maybe Hunt can explain it.

About all you need to really know is that they're pretty much the same, content-wise -- it's just that once in a while a program (like MPEG Streamclip) chokes on Type 1. But you can often use them interchangeably (e.g., you can use DV-AVIs captured by MovieMaker in a Premiere Elements project and vice versa).

• 2. Re: tell me if I'm wrong
            Ed.Macke Level 3

If I understand correctly, Type-1 files have the audio and video stored together (intertwined; interlaced; glued togther; married at the hip; whatever you want to call it), whereas Type-2 means that the audio and video data are stored as 2 separate (distinct; discrete; divorced) streams.

For software (like video editors) that need to work with the video and audio as separate pieces, Type-1 files will need to have the intertwined audio and video split apart before the software can work with the file (I believe Premiere does this automagically?), but Type-2 files already have the pieces separated, so no extra processing would be required.

• 3. Re: tell me if I'm wrong
              nealeh Level 5

Steve Grisetti wrote:

As the for difference in video captured in MovieMaker and video captured in Premiere Elements, the very subtle difference is that Microsoft products tend to produce and use Type 1 AVIs while pretty much the rest of the world uses Type 2.

A notable exception is Windows Movie Maker 2.6. It exports DV-AVI Type 2 and, despite being described as a tool for Vista, works just as well in XP and W7. Download details: Windows Movie Maker 2.6

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children