5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2010 9:00 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Possible Media Encoder CS5 BUG???

therealflame

Since the Media Encoder has no "official" home that I could find on the forum I thought this would be the best place to post this since my videos are exported from After Effects.  If it isn't the correct location I apologize.

Here's the issue:

When I encode an H.264 (.MP4) video from a .mov file with Media Encoder CS5 the Data Size and Data Rate attributes do not show up in the Apple QuickTime Movie Inspector.  I can convert the exact same video with the CS4 version and it shows up.  I've made sure I have all the same settings selected on both versions.  I have noticed on the CS5 version there is a new Metadata button next to the "OK" button.  I looked at all the properties in there and did not see any feature to enable data rate and data size as if those were metadata features rather than something QuickTime calculates.  It must be something that the encoder includes onto the file after compression is complete.  Otherwise, why would the Movie Inspector not display that information for only MP4's created with Media Encoder CS5?  This is important to me because I put a lot of videos on the web and data rate is extremely important in this process.  I've noticed the data rate I specify in the encoder is slightly off from the number I see in QuickTime so I consider QuickTime's number to be more accurate.  It would be nice if you could view video properties with the Media Encoder like you can with QuickTime.

This is the setup I've tested on:

• Worked
        • Windows XP AND Windows 7
        • Adobe Media Encoder CS4
        • QuickTime Player v7.6.7(1675)
      • Does Not Work
        • Windows XP AND Windows 7
        • Adobe Media Encoder CS5
        • QuickTime Player v7.6.7(1675)
        •  

The process I use each time I compress a video:

1. A .mov file is handed off to me by one of our "video guys" who uses After Effects
      2. I import the video into Adobe Media Encoder CS4 or CS5
      3. Apply my settings and compress the video
      4. After compression has completed, I play video in QuickTime and view Movie Inspector.

Maybe I'm over looking the setting on CS5 to enable those two features.  There's not a whole lot of documentation on this product.  Any assistants would be helpful.

Thanks,

Eric

• 1. Re: Possible Media Encoder CS5 BUG???
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I wouldn't necessarily call it a bug. This may be a limitation of handling Quicktime (which is still only 32bit) via a translation layer in the 64bit AME. In any case, I don't think there is any fix or workaround for this, as it would have to be in the code. Maybe in some future update...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Possible Media Encoder CS5 BUG???
            therealflame Level 1

Thanks for the reply Mylenium.  That's a good point.  So even the version of QuickTime on my Windows 7 environment is 64bit?  I'll have to check that out.  If that is the case I guess I'll have to continue using the older version of Media Encoder until this is corrected.

Are there any other methods out there for checking a video's bit rate after compression?  I was really hoping the new media encoder would do that along with allowing a user to choose either kilobits or megabits for the data rate.  Having to constantly convert those numbers back and forth is a pain.

• 3. Re: Possible Media Encoder CS5 BUG???
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Hi Eric,

I was able to reproduce your results on my machine.  An H.264 file rendered from Adobe Media Encoder CS5 does not show the Data Size and Data Rate values in QuickTime Player.  Those values are populated for an H.264 file rendered from Adobe Media Encoder CS4.  I have filed a bug about this change in behavior.

I don't have a clear explanation as to why the files from AME CS5 don't show the Data Size and Data Rate values in QuickTime.  My guess is that those two values are static, and not calculated on the fly by QuickTime player, so the application that writes the file needs to write in those values.  Mylenium's suggestion lines up with my thinking- because there is no 64-bit version of QuickTime (the one running on your Windows 7 64-bit machine is still the 32-bit version), AME uses an Adobe-provided 32-bit intermediary process to talk to QuickTime, and this detail may have been one that we missed in building that process.

Please feel free to write a feature request for any functionality you'd like to see added to AME, After Effects, or any other Adobe product.  Your request to inspect video properties within AME is particularly intriguing.  When you do, please detail how you'd like to see such a feature work, and include why such a feature is important to you.  Knowing the "why" of a feature is often more important to us than the "how" of what you want the application to do.

An alternative application that you can use for inspecting the properties of video files is MediaInfo.  With the test file I created from AME CS5, MediaInfo displays a data rate in Mbps.

By the way, the documentation for Adobe Media Encoder CS5 is here.

-=TimK

-=After Effects/Adobe Media Encoder QE

• 4. Re: Possible Media Encoder CS5 BUG???
                therealflame Level 1

Tim,

Thanks for logging the issue and giving more insight!  I tried to research what version of QuickTime I have but couldn't really find a definite answer.  I'll take your word for it that I have the 32-bit version.  It looks like there is a 64-bit version out there but only for Snow Leopard I think (QuickTime X).  Not sure when that will make it to the Windows world if it is true.

If there was some type of "movie inspector" built into AME that would completely eliminate my need for QuickTime.  But, I'm sure it would be much easier for you guys at this point to add those two changes to the process already in place that talks to QuickTime.  I will definitely put in a request or two for features.  I think AME is a great tool now and could also become much more.

If you ever need a tester for newer versions of AME, just give me a shout.

Thanks,

Eric

• 5. Re: Possible Media Encoder CS5 BUG???
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  It looks like there is a 64-bit version out there but only for Snow Leopard I think (QuickTime X).

Don't be fooled. QuickTime X is not a successor to QuickTime 7.6.6. QuickTime X is just an extremely limited player application, not a fully-featured video platform like (real) QuickTime. You need QuickTime 7.6.6 (or whatever reasonably current version) on your computer to do real video work.