13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2010 4:06 PM by Steve Grisetti

Constant Crashing

knsmayer07

I have premeire elements 8 with the plus services.

I am so angry right now, its not even funny. What can be done to get Premeire element to STOP crashing? I haved worked on this project for several days now and I can not tell you how often it crashes. The problem I am having right this minute is when I launch premeire and choose open project, select the project, it will beging to open the file, then all of a sudden the whole program shuts down. It did this to me yesterday too and I spent hours trying to open my file. Finally, I uninstalled premeire from my computer yesterday and reinstalled it then was able to open my file. Now this is happening all over again. I have been using premeire for several months so far and although I think it is an awsome program, I can't stand using it because of these glitches.

I have the most up to date version, I go into the task manager to set the process to the highest priority and so on...it still crashes. I have also read other forums and used their techniques and one of the suggestions forced me to uninstall and reinstall because the file was to replace was broken...I don't know what to do anymore.

Please help. Sorry about my tone, I am very upset and tired of this. Adobe needs to fix this constant problem.

Thank you,

Steph

• 1. Re: Constant Crashing
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, there is not much information to go on. This ARTICLE will give you tips on what would so helpful, and give you tips on how to collect some of it.

This ARTICLE will give you tips on getting your computer ready for an editing session.

Have you upgraded to PrE 8.0.1? If not, you will want to do that.

Have you upgraded your audio and video drivers? If not, you will want to do that.

What version of Apple's QuickTime Player do you have installed? It possibly needs to be updated too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Constant Crashing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are still having crashes, then this ARTICLE might help you find out clues, as to why.

This ARTICLE links to the PrPro-Wiki, and gives general troubleshooting tips. Most are universal, with only a few specific to PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Constant Crashing
              knsmayer07 Level 1

Hi Bill~

Everything installed on Premeire is the most up to date and recent. I have the

most up to date audio and video drivers as well. I have a 3gb RAM which should

be more than ample and over 80gb free space on my c drive memory. Quicktime is

most up to date as well.

I will read the forums you attached and see what I can do from there. Thank you

for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Steph

• 4. Re: Constant Crashing
                knsmayer07 Level 1

I can't look at these links, an unexpected error occurs....see how my luck goes?

LOL...trying to smile.

• 5. Re: Constant Crashing
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I can't look at these links, an unexpected error occurs....

That does not bode well, as they are only links to articles in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum.

As I recall, they are Got a Problem? How to Get Started, Clean, Lean, Mean Editing Machine (still on my page one)

Then on about my page 3, Program or System Crash? Finding Clues and Program Crash? Some Troubleshooting Tips from PrPro - How to Find Clues.

As far as Memory & Resources errors and warnings go, this ARTICLE might be useful - if you can link to it.

Which browser are you using?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Constant Crashing
                    knsmayer07 Level 1

HI, I read this thread and went throught the steps to see where I am at with

RAM. I am only operating on a 32-bit system with 3gb of RAM. When I go into the

virtual memory box, the total paing file size for all drives is: minimum 16mb;

recommended 4603mb; allocated 3369 mb. I don't know that I can change this ti

GBs? I defragmented my computer yesterday and I am still unable to open my file.

Everything starts up just fine and it goes through the process to open the file

then completely shuts down. It took my computer over 10 hours to defrag! I guess

I will uninstall the program AGAIN, and start over.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Constant Crashing
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm concerned that you can't even go to Bill's links without crashing!

How fast is your processor and, more importantly, how much free space is on your hard drive?

Also, what kind of video is your camcorder coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

• 8. Re: Constant Crashing
                        knsmayer07 Level 1

I only have this problem with Premeire...my computer never crashes. I use IE8.

Other links he sent me worked fine, it was just those two. I uninstalled

premeire and reinstalled it, now it is opening the doc again.

Processor is an Intel core duo t8100 @ 2.10 GHz

RAM is 3GB, which according to the specifications, only 2 is needed.

I have 85.8 GB of available c drive space available...more than sufficient.

I'm not using movie clips, I am making a slideshow with still images. I notice I

have even more problems when I use a theme...this is when things go very

wrong...constantly getting alerts that I am running low on memory..I don't

understand.

• 9. Re: Constant Crashing
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

In your SlideShow, what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of your still images? You want them to be very close to the size of the Frame Size in your Project. Using large stills WILL create problems, and will also diminish the quality.

This ARTICLE will give you background and tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Constant Crashing
                            nealeh Level 5

I would guess that those still images are high resolution. You should resize them outside of PRE to suit your output format (e.g 720 x 480 NTSC). A little larger (1000 x 750) if you want to do pan & zoom effects. Check out Steve's advice in the FAQ - What resolution should my photos be in Premiere Elements?

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Constant Crashing
                              knsmayer07 Level 1

Good question! The files are pretty large, actually because I shoot them in RAW

format then compress them to jpeg when I am done editing them in Photoshop CS4

without reducing the file size. I read something somewhere on how to reduce the

file sizes to fit Premeire better, I will look into this...

Thank you for the thought!!

• 12. Re: Constant Crashing
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The linked article in Reply 9 will give you that info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Constant Crashing
                                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with both of you. Oversized images are the chief reason this program crashes.

Using photos no larger than 1000x750 will likely fix the problem -- assuming the computer is well-tuned and up to date otherwise.