11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 9:57 AM by Steve Grisetti

VOB has sound but no picture (gulp!)

RoryButler

Hi

I have transferred a video tape to a DVD and it has come across as five .VOB files.

I can load the last four into Adobe Premiere Elements 7  but the first produces the message 'This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed'.  This is trange as the other four work fine.  I truied renaming the file to a .mpg file and the same message occurs.  When I play the file in Windows media player it play with sound but no picture.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

• 1. Re: VOB has sound but no picture (gulp!)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, this ARTICLE will give you some background on DVD's and their VOB's.

Next, for the transfer of analog material to digital, this ARTICLE will give you some tips and suggestions.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

PS - one is far ahead of things, from a quality standpoint, if they do NOT first go to DVD, as they will have compressed the material to MPEG-2, and if they then burn a DVD of the edited material, they will compress to MPEG-2 a second time. This will start showing artifacts with motion, either camera movement, or subject movement.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: VOB has sound but no picture (gulp!)
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying that you converted the video from your camcorder to a DVD and now you're trying to use the DVD as your source video for a Premiere Elements project?

That's a very inefficient way to work with video. And, depending on the system you used to convert your camcorder's video to DVD, it can often lead to problems -- since many DVD burners (like the standalone units that are attached to VCRs) can produce VOBs that do not edit well.

What type of camcorder is your original video on?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: VOB has sound but no picture (gulp!)
              RoryButler Level 1

Many thanks, Hunt.  I can see that I have a lot to learn - and will re-read the articles carefully.

• 4. Re: VOB has sound but no picture (gulp!)
                RoryButler Level 1

Hi

Yes, that's exactly what I've done.  The recorder is a Sont RDR VX410

If I understand Hunt's reply it might be best for me to transfer from the VCR to my Sony Handycam - and thence to my computer.

• 5. Re: VOB has sound but no picture (gulp!)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If your Sony Handycam has pass-through capabilities, that would be my first choice. You will not have Device Control, as your VHS deck will be hooked up via composite cables, or S-Video and Audio cables, but with a bit of work with your remote and your mouse, one in each hand, you can get very close. Just start the Capture a moment earlier, and then Trim out the blank Video at the Head of the Clip.

Good luck, and check you Sony manual as to the exact setting that you need for pass-through.

Hunt

• 6. Re: VOB has sound but no picture (gulp!)
                    RoryButler Level 1

Excellent.  Many thanks.  I'll dig out the manual and report back how I get on.

Thanks again.

Rory

• 7. Re: VOB has sound but no picture (gulp!)
                      RoryButler Level 1

... and I trust that that is a splendid Pinot Noir from Central Otago, New Zealand that you are drinking.

• 8. Re: VOB has sound but no picture (gulp!)
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, that was a PN from the Santa Rita Hills. Think that it was either a Brewer-Clifton, or maybe a SeaSmoke.

In AZ, USA, we have not been getting some of the newer, great PN's from NZ.

I have been trying to follow some of those for the last decade, but have to do so elsewhere. We are lucky to get Cloudy Bay SB's. Not that I find anything wrong with those.

Even some of the more "mainstream" wines from OZ are just not imported here. Please do not get me started on the dearth of Ports here... I have to keep a property in Napa Valley, CA, USA, just to receive many of my wines.

Hunt

• 9. Re: VOB has sound but no picture (gulp!)
                          RoryButler Level 1

I've retrieved the manual and the instructions for passing the video through the handy

cam to the computer.  Now to find the necessary cables....

To return to off-topic : In retirement we have moved to the heart of Pinot Noir country in the south of New Zealand.  Life is good, aided and abetted by the local produce.

We did travel through the Napa Valley and enjoyed that a few years back.  When we 'cross the ditch' to Oz we always try to visit one of their regions and do our very best not to be too parochial.  I know that they produce some excellent reds but their whites are not special.

Cheers

Rory

• 10. Re: VOB has sound but no picture (gulp!)
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Rory,

Good luck with the pass-through on the videocam. That should work fine. The one hesitation that I have is that many mfgrs. omitted pass-through on their PAL models, as most of Europe have a higher VAT on a camera with it. Seems that legally it is declared as being another type of device, and the tariffs were higher. Many NTSC versions of the same camera did have that capability, but the same one for PAL-land did not. Now, many mfgrs. are just omitting it completely, to save $ with that circuitry, especially in light of the PAL tariff issues. Some have found that just picking up a used NTSC version has worked fine - they do not use it to shoot, but only as an A-D bridge with the pass-through. Hope that yours works perfectly, and that it will fill the bill.

As for the OZ whites, I have only encountered one, the Penfolds Yaterna, that did anything for me. In very general terms, I find the whites from NZ much more interesting. Now, I do find them to be great "sippers," but the herbaceousness and the grapefruit notes seem to get in the way with food. Still, a Cloudy Bay SB is such a great Summer wine (in AZ, USA, we need "Summer wines," about 9 mos. out of the year!). I love that grapefruit, though my wife is less a fan. She is also more enamored by a bigger French Chard, than almost any SB.

I had maintained many, many years ago, that NZ was going to be a PN center. That is being realized now. However, I do have to keep looking hard to find them. Some California restaurants are starting to explore them on their wine lists, but with some of the recently developing areas in CA doing some great PN's (Santa Barbara, Santa Rita, Central Coast and Napa/Sonoma in the Carneros AVA), it is a battle - lot of good PN's out there, as soon as one gets over the US$ 25-30/btl. range. I have yet to really see the value of PN's much below that price point. Probably some out there, but they are few and far between.

Here is an ongoing Shiraz THREAD in the Adobe Video Lounge. Here is an older THREAD on PN's from there. Here is a short Syrah THREAD. Some good discussions in the Lounge. In a similar tone, I am in a Photoshop/photography thread on Chowhound. It started with the question - what camera to do food photography. Along the way, one poster came out bashing Photoshop, and then went on to bash Photoshop Elements. I could not let THAT go on, so have been trying to stem the flow of mis-information being spewed in that thread. Now, I am not saying that Photoshop Elements is an end-all, be-all, or that it might not be too advanced for some, but when one basically says, "all I need to do is resize my images, and I recommend that no one buy PS, or PSE," I cannot sit still. Might not be the right programs for that poster, but such negative blanket statements will not go by without a challenge, at least from me. I know that the MOD's are probably watching me closely there, as PS is not really about A camera, though can be closely related to the product from A camera.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Steve G. will probably banish me to the Video Lounge for dragging this thread OT, but that happens to me all the time. At least they removed that dusty plastic plant in the corner - the one that they always make me sit in, until I promise to be good.

• 11. Re: VOB has sound but no picture (gulp!)
                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're doing great work, Bill!