10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2010 4:43 PM by the_wine_snob

Pre8 crashes when saving as AVI

S&L_Jacob

Hello,

I've have a couple of MiniDV tapes of HD video that I need to convert to SD. I've tried putting them in the timeline - 1 clip at a time, and saving them as an AVI.  I can get 22% finished or so, and the computer will either crash, or I'll get a blue screen.  I'm trying Pre7 now to see if maybe it'll work better.  My disks are defragged, my drivers are up-to-date, and I've done performance tests on my PC, to see if maybe it was a hardware issue - no answers yet.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Shama

• 1. Re: Pre8 crashes when saving as AVI
          nealeh Level 5

Can you run the footage from those tapes through GSpot v2.70a and post a screenshot.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Pre8 crashes when saving as AVI
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Most HDV camcorders can downsample right in the camcorder -- outputting standard DV over FireWire. (On Canon camcorders, this feature is called DV Lock.) That would save you having to use the program to convert the video.

What model of camcorder are you using?

• 3. Re: Pre8 crashes when saving as AVI
              the_wine_snob Level 9

A BSOD is almost always a sign of hardware issues. The main ones are:

1.) heat buildup affecting the CPU, the RAM or the HDD's

2.) RAM going bad

3.) Power Supply Unit going bad, not capable of handling the load or not configured properly to supply adequate voltage to the system components.

4.) MoBo going bad

This ARTICLE will give you some tools to test your system, and more.

This ARTICLE will guide you through gathering more info, that might be very useful.

This ARTICLE will give you tips on setting up your computer for an editing session.

This ARTICLE, though based on PrPro, will give you troubleshooting tips. Most will also apply to PrE.

This ARTICLE will give you tips for finding clues as to what is happening with the system and the program.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Pre8 crashes when saving as AVI
                S&L_Jacob Level 1

Hello All,

Thanks for the help.

Nealeh - here is the screenshot

Screenshot.png

Steve - thanks for the input - I never saw that before on my camera.  I use the Vixia HV30, and I just noticed that I can set the playback for SD, HD, or Auto, and I've got it on auto.

Hunt - thank you for the info.  I've done burn-in testing, etc and have never had issues before with overheating.  I've also specifically tested the RAM, the CPU, and the drives with no issues.  Any more clues would be valuable.

I tried PRE7 and it hung also, but no BSOD. It was about 50% completed, and popped up the "Microsoft Send Error" box.

Thanks all,

Shama

• 5. Re: Pre8 crashes when saving as AVI
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Shama,

The last two articles, linked above, will help you find clues and tell you several things to check out. The last on will tell you where to look for clues on your BSOD. Unless you have cleared Event Viewer, those clues are still there for you to research.

Good luck, and I also would let the camera down-convert to SD. The quality will be better, and the overhead will be reduced.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Pre8 crashes when saving as AVI
                    S&L_Jacob Level 1

Hi Hunt,

I did some looking at the event viewer, and this is what I found.

Descripton

Faulting application adobe premiere elements.exe, version 7.0.0.0, faulting module mcdvd_32.dll, version 4.2.12197.0, fault address 0x00008ac8.

Data

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c   ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 61 64 6f   ure  ado

0018: 62 65 20 70 72 65 6d 69   be premi

0020: 65 72 65 20 65 6c 65 6d   ere elem

0028: 65 6e 74 73 2e 65 78 65   ents.exe

0030: 20 37 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30    7.0.0.0

0038: 20 69 6e 20 6d 63 64 76    in mcdv

0040: 64 5f 33 32 2e 64 6c 6c   d_32.dll

0048: 20 34 2e 32 2e 31 32 31    4.2.121

0050: 39 37 2e 30 20 61 74 20   97.0 at

0058: 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 30   offset 0

0060: 30 30 30 38 61 63 38 0d   0008ac8.

0068: 0a   

• 7. Re: Pre8 crashes when saving as AVI
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Was there any link on that warning message? Were there any error, or warning messages at the same time?

Unfortunately, there is probably not a soul alive, who can use that code data, or at least I have not met them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Pre8 crashes when saving as AVI
                        nealeh Level 5

Odd, I don't think I've seen a GSpot screen with completely blank Audio and Video information (odder still is my fifteen year old daughter peering over my shoulder asking why I'm writing about Gpsots). Maybe try MediaInfo as well - MediaInfo

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Pre8 crashes when saving as AVI
                          S&L_Jacob Level 1

Hello All,

I know I'm digging up an old post, but I thought it may be helpful to some.

I discovered that my problem was a bad stick of RAM.  My PC is only a year or two old, but I thought I'd check to see if the RAM was bad.  I could edit all day long in PRE8, but whenever I would encode the DVD, it would always crash - never the same place, and always with a different message.  The only thing that seemed to re-occur was the crashing, although I did periodically get a BSOD.

So, I took 1 stick out, and tried encoding a half hour DVD - perfect result (and that's with only 1GB of RAM).  I swapped the sticks, and tried to encode the same DVD and it crashed.

I have now replaced the sticks, so I have multiples of identical RAM, and all seems to be OK.

Just wanted to post in case it helped someone else.

Regards,

Shama

• 10. Re: Pre8 crashes when saving as AVI
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for sharing.

With most instances of a BSOD, the causes are often:

1.) heat build up

2.) RAM

3.) PSU

4.) MoBo

Some of the tools in this ARTICLE can prove very helpful for troubleshooting those, plus some other causes.

Sorry for your experience, but it will possibly help someone else in the future.

Hunt