7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2007 1:26 PM by Newsgroup_User

Cloaking a single file

Level 7
      I keep forgetting to ask....is there a way in DW8 to cloak a file? I cloak
      directories all the time, but cloaking isn't an option with just a file. Am
      I missing something?

Mad Dog

• 1. Re: Cloaking a single file
          Level 7

"Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
          news:f8tkcf$213$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I keep forgetting to ask....is there a way in DW8 to cloak a file? I cloak
          >directories all the time, but cloaking isn't an option with just a file. Am
          >I missing something?

I don't think so, MD - you can cloak a file *type*, but that cloaks all
          files with the same extension.

• 2. Re: Cloaking a single file
            Level 7
            On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 08:26:29 -0500, "Hunter Elliott"
            <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote:

>
            >"Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
            >news:f8tkcf$213$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >>I keep forgetting to ask....is there a way in DW8 to cloak a file? I cloak
            >>directories all the time, but cloaking isn't an option with just a file. Am
            >>I missing something?
            >
            >I don't think so, MD - you can cloak a file *type*, but that cloaks all
            >files with the same extension.
            >

I check with
            F1 help files on cloaking

You can only cloak a complete folder or file type.

--

~Malcolm N....
            ~
            • 3. Re: Cloaking a single file
              Level 7
              That's what I thought, but I figured I'd see if I was missing something.
              Maybe there's a technical reason for it, but it seems weird to me. I often
              have old and work versions of files that I want to keep in the directory for
              now (until I know all changes are okay) but don't want it uploaded. Seems
              like a simple enough feature....

Oh well...THANKS!

Malcolm N_ wrote:
              > On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 08:26:29 -0500, "Hunter Elliott"
              > <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote:
              >
              >>
              >> "Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
              >> news:f8tkcf$213$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >>> I keep forgetting to ask....is there a way in DW8 to cloak a file?
              >>> I cloak directories all the time, but cloaking isn't an option with
              >>> just a file. Am I missing something?
              >>
              >> I don't think so, MD - you can cloak a file *type*, but that cloaks
              >> all files with the same extension.
              >>
              >
              > I check with
              > F1 help files on cloaking
              >
              > You can only cloak a complete folder or file type.

• 4. Re: Cloaking a single file
                Level 7
                On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:16:37 -0700, "Mad Dog"
                <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote:

>That's what I thought, but I figured I'd see if I was missing something.
                >Maybe there's a technical reason for it, but it seems weird to me. I often
                >have old and work versions of files that I want to keep in the directory for
                >now (until I know all changes are okay) but don't want it uploaded. Seems
                >like a simple enough feature....
                >
                >Oh well...THANKS!
                >

yes - well I keep old versions sometimes - but put a couple of xx in
                front of file name - hardly a big load on the server.

or I put into a folder named old - which is cloaked.

--

~Malcolm N....
                ~
                • 5. Re: Cloaking a single file
                  Level 7
                  Malcolm N_ wrote:
                  > yes - well I keep old versions sometimes - but put a couple of xx in
                  > front of file name - hardly a big load on the server.
                  >
                  > or I put into a folder named old - which is cloaked.

I put them in an _old file too, but only after I'm sure all the changes are
                  in good order (and I only do this for major page changes). It's just that
                  while in process it's more convenient to keep it handy in case I need to
                  change it back to the working page, especially with database and dynamic
                  sites. It's not the server load, but just nice to keep the files on the
                  server clean and uncluttered (and unconfusing!).

No biggie. Just would be nice.

MD

• 6. Re: Cloaking a single file
                    Level 7

"Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
                    news:f8vkd8$cj1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > That's what I thought, but I figured I'd see if I was missing something.
                    > Maybe there's a technical reason for it, but it seems weird to me. I often
                    > have old and work versions of files that I want to keep in the directory
                    > for now (until I know all changes are okay) but don't want it uploaded.
                    > Seems like a simple enough feature....

what I do in this case is make a subfolder in that folder named "old" and
                    cloak it - i just drag the old files in there as sort of a CYA folder

• 7. Re: Cloaking a single file
                      Level 7
                      Actually, handling the logistics is no problem, I do it all the time. I'm
                      just curious why they'd set DW up so you can cloak a directory or extension
                      but not a file. Probably some technical deal....

Thanks!
                      MD

Hunter Elliott wrote:
                      > "Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
                      > news:f8vkd8$cj1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >> That's what I thought, but I figured I'd see if I was missing
                      >> something. Maybe there's a technical reason for it, but it seems
                      >> weird to me. I often have old and work versions of files that I want
                      >> to keep in the directory for now (until I know all changes are okay)
                      >> but don't want it uploaded. Seems like a simple enough feature....
                      >
                      > what I do in this case is make a subfolder in that folder named "old"
                      > and cloak it - i just drag the old files in there as sort of a CYA
                      > folder