39 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 7:31 AM by ECBowen

File Transfer Problem

flbreen Level 1

I recently assembled a PC to run CS5 under W7.

It worked well but on my last project it took a very long time to transfer files via USB from compact flash and via firewire from hard disc.

I did not have this problem until this week.

I am transferring avi files from Firestore units I own.

After experimenting I found that after a fresh restart the file transfer (2GB file) started normally but about half way through the transfer rate slowly until it gets news 1mb per second.

When I start a second file transfer it begins and stays at a low rate.

I removed all the anti virus software.

I believe I have removed all the file indexing but I am not sure.

I have 5 Drives - D:4x1TB in Raid5 and C:1x320GB for W7 and CS5.

Asus P6T SE MB, Intel i7 930

USB Driver info: File version: 6.1.7600.16385(win7_rtm.090713-1255)

• 1. Re: File Transfer Problem
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>believe I have removed all the file indexing but I am not sure

Have you not checked the drive properties using Windows Explorer?

• 2. Re: File Transfer Problem
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Do you have the cache policy for your external storage set to optimize for removal or performance? What is the current filled capacity of your raid 5 volume?

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: File Transfer Problem
              flbreen Level 1

Could you tell me how to access cache policy for external storage?

I attached an explorer image of my Raid drive.

It has over 2TB free.

• 4. Re: File Transfer Problem
                flbreen Level 1

I have attached an image of my drives properties- capture2

Capture1 shows both drives.

I had unchecked the box at the properties window (Allow files on this drive to be index).

If there is anything else I should do please tell me.

Have you heard of this situation where the file transfer starts out OK then deteriorates to 1mb per second?

• 5. Re: File Transfer Problem

Right Click on Computer and select Manage. Select Device Manager from the MMC console. Then expand your drives list and double click on the drive you want to check policy on. Then select the Policy tab and check what the write policy is set to. You have to check for  each drive.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: File Transfer Problem
                    flbreen Level 1

I took screen shots of the policy windows for 2 devices and they both have the same problem.

The WD drive starts out at a high rate 32MB/sec but after half way through the file it progressivly slows down.

The Linux File Store device (Fire Store FS-H200) starts out around 14mb and slows down from there.

On my other PC (Dell XPS running Vista) both od these devices transfer files without slowing down.

• 7. Re: File Transfer Problem
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

That is quite logical. Have you ever wondered what happens during morning rush hour on a highway with a local speed limit of 30 MPH when the number of lanes is reduced from 4 to a single lane? About the same happens with your externals. One continuous traffic jam.

Use externals for backup only, unless they are eSATA.

• 8. Re: File Transfer Problem
                        flbreen Level 1

I am not sure you know what I am doing here.

I am transfering video files from the video recorder to the PC.

For one of the devices the only way to do this is with a Firewire connection.

The other one I could use a card reader instead of using the recorder and its USB connection.

I have always been able to put huge video data onto PC drives with no problem.

It is with this PC doing nothing else but file transfer that I am having problems.

• 9. Re: File Transfer Problem

Well one is set to Quick Removal and that one is likely the Firestore drive only transfering at 14MB. What is your Power Plan set to in Control Panel? Did you change it to performance? Did you go into the advanced settings and change the Drive turn off to never or greater than 2 hours?Do you have any Anti Virus running realtime protection in the background?

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: File Transfer Problem
                            flbreen Level 1

1) The FireStore device was never set to Quick Removal See Attachment.

Windows will not allow any changes to its policy.

That drive starts out at 14MB (good enough) but then drifts down to 2MB.

2) Could you tell me how to set the Power Plan?

I do not see it in the Control Panel.

3) The performance thing - isn't that in the Device Manager Policies?

4) I don't know how to get to a setting to Drive turn off to never or greater than 2 hours.

5) I have uninstalled my antivirus protection.

The other attachments show the process running when I first start up my PC and after I start a file transfer and it slows down to 5mb per second

• 11. Re: File Transfer Problem

Capture4 shows Quick Removal rather than performance. That drive is showing as WD2500BEV for that screenshot you posted.

Go into the Control Panel

Change the drop down in the top right from category to Large icons

Then select Power Options

Select the Performance Plan if the Balance Plan is still selected as the Preferred

Select Change Plan Settings

Select Change Advanced Power settings

Expand the Hard Disk listing to the turn off hard disk option

Highlight the default 20 minutes and change that to never or greater than 120 minutes.

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                flbreen Level 1

I made the change to the Power Plan and it had no effect on my problem.

Could you tell me if you have heard of this problem?

Transferring one file of 2GB from a USB devide to the PC drive.

The PC is doing nothing else that I know of during the file transfer.

The first GB transfers at about 14MB per sec.

At that point the transfer rate steadily slows down and approaches 2MB per sec.

I would like to concentrate on one UBS video recorder for this problem but I know that there is the same problem for Firewire file transfers and CH ROM file transfers.

How would you go about solving this problem?

• 13. Re: File Transfer Problem

As long as you selected the cache policy as performance for all drives internal and external and made the power changes you list there, then that should cover your Win 7 settings that can effect this. Other than that there is turning off the USB power management. Go to the same place you set the drive to never turn off. Expand the USB settings listing. Disable the USB select suspend. That will uncheck the Power management for the USB Root hubs on the board. Beyond that it's just making sure you don't have USB devices sharing root hubs or they will be splitting bandwidth and compresion is not selected for the drives involved in the transfer.

Eric

ADK

• 14. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                    flbreen Level 1

I am back to working on my file transfer problem with my new PC.

I had to go back to my 1 year old Dell PC to process video projects for the last few weeks.

I built the new PC based on the exact parts specified by John T Smith in his blog:

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Except that instead of his one 1TB drive I put four 1TB drives in Raid 5 as you specified in your article.

My PC has one 320GB drive (C:) for W7 and CS5 and the four 1TB drives in Raid 5 (D:) for all my video storage.

The system worked well for several weeks until it took a very long time to load large video files from my recorder to the PC via USB.

I had preformed the process many times with no problem but all of a sudden there was a problem.

It turn out the problem has nothing to do with USB.

I just copied a 2GB file from D: to C: and I watched the fransfer rate.

It starts of not very fast and then slows down to 50MB per sec.

When I repeat the process it quickly slows down to 10MB per sec.

I just noticed that my PC shows only 8GB of installed memory.

I installed 12GB. 6 X 2GB

Please give me an idea what to do about this problem.

• 15. Re: File Transfer Problem

That is the ram compatibility issue i have spoke about in other threads. Go into your cmos setup for the board. Check and see if the XMP Profile is enabled. If it is then Disable it and set the Primary Ram Timings, TRC, TRFC, and the command rate manually. If the XMP profile is already disabled then enable it and check your QPI and Dram Voltage. The QPI should be set to 1.35v or 1.375v and the Dram should be 1.65v or 1.66v. Save and exit and then see if the ram boots several times detecting 12GB. If not then disable the XMP again and manually set the timings listed above.

Eric

ADK

• 16. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                        flbreen Level 1

Erik

You have gone beyond my bios knowledge.

I have the ASUS P6T SE main board.

When I got into the BIOS control menu I found a tab "Ai Tweaker".

Under that I found the menu item "DRAM Timing Control".

In that menu I am not sure what to do - everything is "Auto".

I am pretty sure that I did have the 12G RAM when I first fired up this PC.

Could the loss of the 4GB RAM effect the file transfer problem (between C: and D:)?

Thanks

• 17. Re: File Transfer Problem

What is the AI Overclock Tuner set to?

Eric

ADK

• 18. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                            flbreen Level 1

Under Ai Tweaker there is menu item "UCLK Frequency" set to Auto.

Under that there is a choice of frequencies between 1600MH and 3466MH

• 19. Re: File Transfer Problem

What is your Dram Frequency set to?

Eric

ADK

• 20. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                                flbreen Level 1

Dram Frequency set to Auto

• 21. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                                  Baz R Level 3

As Eric also suggested.

if you set your

DRAM frequency to the speed of your memory

UCLK to twice the speed of the memory.

QPI/DRAM core Voltage to 1.25v (to start with)

DRAM Bus Voltage to 1.66v (dont worry about the warning, asus motherboards jump from 1.64v to 1.66v.

then goto timing control and manully enter the timmings of your memory, usually found printed on the memory.

Baz

• 22. Re: File Transfer Problem

Sorry it's been crazy here today and I have been unable to stop and answer the post. Follow North's advice and then the timings will likely be something like this depending on the speed of the ram

DDR3 1600 - 8 8 8 24 - 32TRC - 74 or 88TRFC and Command Rate 2

Eric

ADK

• 23. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                                      flbreen Level 1
                                                      I am sorry I cannot figure out speed of my memory.
                                                      I bought the RAM from the specifications from the specification of Mr. Smith.

6 x 2Gig Crucial 1066 DDR3 Ram

There is a link to NewEgg but I don't they list it anymore.

On the memry stick I see: 2GB 240 PIN DIMM 256 MX 64 DDR3

Can you tell me what the speed is?
                                                      • 24. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

This is the standard 1066 speed, which should not be run at higher clock speeds. Had it been 1333 or 1600 memory you would have been able to run the memory at higher speeds, even if you don't overclock the CPU.

• 25. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                                          flbreen Level 1

The speed on the bios is set to auto.

In your opinion, if I change that speed from AUTO to 1066 then the problem I am having where only 8GB of the 12GB of RAM is recognized by the PC?

Also does that have anything to do with the problem I am having copying files from one drive to another?

• 26. Re: File Transfer Problem

What is the model number off the ram modules so I can find the timings?

Eric

ADK

• 27. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                                              flbreen Level 1
                                                              On the memry stick I see: 2GB 240 PIN DIMM 256 MX 64 DDR3

Harm established that the speed is 1066MHz.

So now I will follow this formula and change all the AUTO settings to the following:

DRAM frequency to the speed of your memory - 1066MHz

UCLK to twice the speed of the memory.            2132MHz

QPI/DRAM core Voltage to 1.25v (to start with)

DRAM Bus Voltage to 1.66v (dont worry about the warning, asus motherboards jump from 1.64v to 1.66v.

And this will bring back the 4GB RAM that I am now missing?

• 28. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Before you start changing BIOS settings, first check that all sticks are physically inserted correctly. Press them all into their sockets and check that the retaining clips are properly holding the sticks. It is pretty easy to overlook something simple as that. If that does not help and you are quite sure that all sticks are properly seated, then follow Erics advice about the XMP settings.

• 29. Re: File Transfer Problem

Unless those are OEM sticks, there should be a sticker on the ram with the model number /partnumber. I need that to look them up or you can call Crucial and get the Primary timings from them.

Eric

ADK

• 30. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                                                    flbreen Level 1

I have attached a picture if the RAM Stick with labels showing.

I am in the process of switching them around to different slots.

----

I symatically switched around all 6 of the 2GB sticks and it is still showing 8GB RAM.

• 31. Re: File Transfer Problem

These may vary by + or -1 depending on what Crucial used but should be along this line

7 7 7 20 TRC-27 TRFC-86 Command 2

Eric

ADK

• 32. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                                                        flbreen Level 1

I attached a picture of my Bios screen

I see the QPI/DRAM core Voltage but not the DRAM Bus Voltage.

Thanks

• 33. Re: File Transfer Problem

Scroll Down

Eric

ADK

• 34. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                                                            flbreen Level 1

Eric

That last note was beyond me.

What should I do at this point?

Should I try to put those frequencies in to the Bios?

Should I bring my PC to a local repair shop?

Thanks

• 35. Re: File Transfer Problem

Dram - 1066

UCLK - 2133

QPI - 4800MTS or 6400MTS

If you go into the avanced memory timings field, you will see the timings I mention. The primary timings are the first 4 going down. The other 2 are listed as TRC and TRFC and the Command rate is listed.

If you are unsure how to navigate in the bios and make these changes, Call Asus tech support. They are really good and can walk you through these changes.

Dont forget the voltages mentioned above.

Eric

ADK

• 36. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                                                                flbreen Level 1

Eric

For the last hour I have been trying to figure out how to get ASUS phone support.

I left a note on the asus forum.

I also asked how to get phone service.

• 37. Re: File Transfer Problem

http://usa.asus.com/ContentPage.aspx?Content_Type=AboutASUS&Content_Id=162

Motherboard and General Product Support :
                                                                                  Email: http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspxhttp://livesupport.asus.com/

• Tel: 812-282-2787
                                                                                • Fax: 510-608-4555
                                                                                •  

Eric

ADK

• 38. Re: File Transfer Problem
                                                                                    flbreen Level 1

I spoke with asus technical support a few times.

One of them gave me a program (cpuz) that runs on windows and determines how much I actually have.

The program gave me 12GB.

That tech suggested that I Clear RTC RAM with jumpers in hopes that a glitch got into the main board.

That process did not work.

I went back to setting the DRAM frequency and the other values.

I set DRAM 1066

UCLK 2133

QPI/DRAM 1.25v

DRAM Buss Voltage - I don't know to set that.

I went into DRAM Timing Control.

I changes the 1st 4 values I changed to 7 7 7 20

I could not find TRC and TRFC and Command 2

I made all the changes that I could but I still have 8GB Ram.

The last tech I spoke to wanted me to take apart the CPU and and see if any pf the pin are bent.

• 39. Re: File Transfer Problem

The DRam Bus Voltage is on the same page. You just have to keep scrolling down using the down arrow to see the settings that are off the screen.

Eric

ADK