2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2010 2:00 PM by Steve Grisetti

Elements 4 and Windows 7

wavecoach Level 1

I'm a high school film/tv instructor.  My students are trying to capture film from the digital cameras (dv/ntsc canon) using Elements 4.  We've also tried using Premiere Pro and Flash to no avail.  There seems to be a compatibility problem possibly with Windows 7.

Can anyone help?  Is Windows 7 just not compatible?  I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Thansk!  Ed

• 1. Re: Elements 4 and Windows 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

There seem to be issues with the drivers in Win7. It sounds like your FW drivers are not interfacing with your FW cards/chips.

In Win7 Hardware>Device Manager (or similar syntax in Win7), go to the Drivers tab. Look on the list and choose the one with "Legacy" in the name. Reboot and test. Does this get your FW card/chip working?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Elements 4 and Windows 7
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Assuming you're capturing your miniDV footage over FireWire, you can also use a free program like WinDV to capture the video and it will be perfectly compatible with Premiere Elements.

Though, as Bill says, not everything about version 4 will work on Windows 7, if you're using the 64-bit version. So there may or may not be problems with using such an old version of the program on that operating system.