6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 11:16 AM by PKripsaw

Blue Screen (BSOD) Issue

PKripsaw

Hello,

I am running After Effects CS5, but I am experiencing a blue screen issue.

The problem seems a bit weird but I have run Windows 7 64bit for a good month now and had no issues, then I installed After Effects CS5 for a new job I just got. Since then, when I'm working in AE (After Effects) the computer goes BSOD. Then when I restart it will BSOD again, even if I dont touch After Effects. This happens quite often even on days when I never use anything relating to AE. To try and fix the issue I uninstalled AE and the problem still existed. I ended up having to completely reinstall Windows 7 to fix the problem. Then I installed AE CS5 again, since I do have a job using it, and the problem seemed to be fixed but then after using it all day the BSOD returned; along with the BSOD issues even when not using AE.

I assume the issue is with AE or one of other smaller programs that comes with it, since it only happens when I install them.

My computer is a:

• Toshiba Satellite L305-S5942
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Intel Centrino2 (bassically a dual core for laptops)
      • 4 gigs RAM
      • Video is integrated: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
      • 1853 MB of dedicated video memory

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to make sure you guys had all the info needed to get me some help.

As I stated above I do this for a job I just got so I am a beginner but I also need to fix this in a hurry........because this is kinda my job, duh.

Anyway thanks in advance, all help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Blue Screen (BSOD) Issue
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What does the Windows Event Viewer say about this? BSODs always get logged. I don't even think it's a graphics probelm this time, even though the chipset is not qualified/ certified. Looks more like a service crashing that may have bene introduced by the Adobe products or an existing system having changed its config. I'd also look into UAC and firewall settings...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Blue Screen (BSOD) Issue
            PKripsaw Level 1

Here is a photo of the event properties window about the critical failure. they all look lik

e this so its been the same issue.

Error log.PNG

under the details tab it says

Log Name:      System
            Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
            Date:          8/31/2010 4:48:05 PM
            Event ID:      41
            Task Category: (63)
            Level:         Critical
            Keywords:      (2)
            User:          SYSTEM
            Computer:      PaulKongable-PC
            Description:
            The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
            Event Xml:
            <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
              <System>
                <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
                <EventID>41</EventID>
                <Version>2</Version>
                <Level>1</Level>
                <Task>63</Task>
                <Opcode>0</Opcode>
                <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
                <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-31T20:48:05.984816700Z" />
                <EventRecordID>4275</EventRecordID>
                <Correlation />
                <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
                <Channel>System</Channel>
                <Computer>PaulKongable-PC</Computer>
                <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
              </System>
              <EventData>
                <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
                <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
                <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
                <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
                <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
                <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
                <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
              </EventData>
            </Event>

Now i dont know tons about this so i looked it up, and on the windows 7 site it talks about this issue heres the link to that: (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504), and they make it seem like a sudden loss of power. Which seems more like a hardware failure to me. So it may have nothing to do with After Effects, although it does only seem to happen when I install AE. So i still dont know where the issue is.

Thanks for the help!

• 3. Re: Blue Screen (BSOD) Issue
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If it's hardware related, it could be a heat issue (or more precisely, lack of cooling). That would at least explain why it only happens, when AE is around - it's putting stress on the hardware and the cooling cannot keep up/ is not working at all. Could cause any kind of response from emergency shutdowns of the processor to some poorly soldered on ressitor on the motherboard losing contact. Impossible to diagnose. I would definitely run the machine with teh covers open to verify and see if the fans are revving up properly and whether you noticve any smells or electric discharge noises. also check the cables. Today's graphics card drawing so much juice means it is crucial they are properly connected...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Blue Screen (BSOD) Issue
                PKripsaw Level 1

Ok a couple of questions. And a little detail I didnt mention earlier.

Question 1: How do I know for sure that cooling is the issue? I know the fan is running I checked, and I never notice any unusal noises, and the smell is not strange at all so is there any deffinate way to know it is a cooling issue?

Question 2: If cooling is the problem how do I fix cooling in a laptop??????

Small detail I didnt mention: About six months or so ago there was a storm at my house, my comp was plugged in, and there was a power surge, knocked out our power and shut my comp down. When I restarted it it immediately blue screened like five min later. It did this 6 times in a row until finally I started it in safe mode and then left it for an hour, it worked fine, then I restared it in normal windows and it seemed to be fine. About a month after that I installed After Effects for the first time.

I didnt mention that earlier because at first I thought this to be a AE problem, so that incedent would be irrelevant. Now that we are talking about hardware this is alot more important. (Im new to AE not computers, I know the havoc power surges wreck on computers lol)

I appreciate all the help Mylenium!

• 5. Re: Blue Screen (BSOD) Issue
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Um, you really need to take your laptop into the shop.

For a guy who knows a lot about computers, I'm surprised you couldn't put two and two together, realizing that a lightning strike with an accompanying power surge really isn't the healthiest of things to happen to your machine.  There's no telling what could be wrong, for heaven's sake!

AE problem, indeed......

• 6. Re: Blue Screen (BSOD) Issue
                    PKripsaw Level 1

The issue was gone for literally a month, it may sound stupid but I wasnt about to go pay Toshiba to look at my computer when I was having no issues. The issue returned when I installed AE. It prolly is still AE related. It may have nothing to do with the power surge since i had no issues for so long. It could be a completely different hardware problem. I didnt have it checked out cause I'm not made of money lol