1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 3:30 AM by Tanya Heins-9t72lf

Adobe Classroom: Interaction Design Principles

Dave Hogue Level 2

Hello everyone!

The team at Adobe TV is beginning to plan a new classroom series on Interaction Design, and we would love to know what topics, design principles, best practices, etc. would be most interesting and valuable to you. This series is not focused on how to use specific design tools - it is more about creating great interactive designs.

For example, you may be a print designer making the transition to digital or perhaps you have been asked convert print materials into engaging web and mobile experiences, but you are uncertain about navigation, layers of content, progressive disclosure, embedded media, or even transitions.

Let us know what you would like to get out of a new Adobe TV classroom series on interaction design - this is your chance to help us develop materials and information that will help you craft memorable and effective digital experiences.

Thanks,

Dave

PS - I'll be the host of the series, and I'll be speaking about interaction design at Adobe MAX this year (October 2010) in Los Angeles. If you're attending MAX and have ideas to chat about, look me up!

• 1. Re: Adobe Classroom: Interaction Design Principles
          Tanya Heins-9t72lf Level 1

Hi Dave,

Great project!  Here are a few thoughts:

• Planning your project (creating user goals, understanding end context or contexts, screen sizes, bandwidth etc. thinking through a quality user experience - then features)  I use paper templates of the end device and sketch out layouts for each state, creating as many options for each layout as I can.  This helps distill down the essence of each state and how to move most simply between them.
          • Interactive Wireframe (a gray-scale model, testing interactions between states and then deciding on the best solution)  I love how quickly Fc can help with this.
          • Designing the artwork, creating mockups and then the workflow for separating that artwork into buttons, scroll bars, backgrounds etc.  A discussion on the tools and needing to manage one source that can scale to different device sizes would be good (vectors, bitmaps, scaling workflow and output for use in the project)
          • Building the application. Version control, testing and round-tripping would be good here as I find this stage the most iterative.  Good honest feedback early on is key here
          • Advanced programming - perhaps some broad strokes on where the interaction design dovetails into programing more complex code for managing databases, user data, complex user interaction.  Some guidelines for an interaction designer to know when to partner with a programmer.
          • Revisions Testing Revisions - How to manage scope creep, future versions
          • Publishing - A broad discussion of the requirements for publishing to different contexts
          • Handling feedback and assessing future design changes for the application.

Best,

Tanya