5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2010 11:16 AM by Dave Hogue

Adobe Classroom: Interaction Design Principles

Dave Hogue Level 2

Hello everyone!

The team at Adobe TV is beginning to plan a new classroom series on Interaction Design, and we would love to know what topics, design principles, best practices, etc. would be most interesting and valuable to you. This series is not focused on how to use specific design tools - it is more about creating great interactive designs.

For example, you may be a print designer making the transition to digital or perhaps you have been asked convert print materials into engaging web and mobile experiences, but you are uncertain about navigation, layers of content, progressive disclosure, embedded media, or even transitions.

Let us know what you would like to get out of a new Adobe TV classroom series on interaction design - this is your chance to help us develop materials and information that will help you craft memorable and effective digital experiences.

Thanks,

Dave

PS - I'll be the host of the series, and I'll be speaking about interaction design at Adobe MAX this year (October 2010) in Los Angeles. If you're attending MAX and have ideas to chat about, look me up!

• 1. Re: Adobe Classroom: Interaction Design Principles
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Hey Dave looks promising.

Some ideas that may fit the scope of the series, that could gain some exposure:

Improved FXG Export workflow(s):

A. Collabaration improvements between Fw --> Ill. Design integrity improvements abound with this option. Export to FXG and open it in Illustrator.

Though not interactive, designers who create for the web, who may need to re-purpose Fw vector artwork to print friendly environment can do so with this workflow.

B. Fireworks to Flash Catalyst: This workflow brings a whole new level of 'interaction' into the arena. Add interaction to multi-page Fw designs - here is a small example I did awhile back (http://www.heathrowe.com/other/fc2/). All the elements to the sample comes from a Fw document, while all the interaction is done inside FC.

h

• 2. Re: Adobe Classroom: Interaction Design Principles
            Linda Nicholls Level 4

How about a good definition of the very opaque term "Interaction Design."

• 3. Re: Adobe Classroom: Interaction Design Principles
              pixlor Level 4

Heh. Good observation, Linda!

One theme on this forum is new Fireworks users wanting to have Fireworks write their HTML for them or being surprised (or even indignant) that it can't perform actions that are beyond the capabilities of HTML.  A description of workflow and of the purposes, strengths, and limitations of each application would be a good introduction. Not an appendix; put it up front.

For people new to Web design, especially those coming from print, it would be good to explain that there's a fundamental inability to control users' font size and viewport size. Emphasize that there's a need to design for flexibility.

On this forum, Fireworks menus are bugaboos. Please include a nice tutorial on how to create menus that work cross-browser, and don't use Fireworks menus. (I'm sorry, but that automatic code is horribly ugly.)

Include a section on background images. How to create, export and use

• tiling background images (tiling in both or one direction)
              • large page background images (the big, page-spanning ones at the top of some sites)
              • small background images for divs (non-repeating)
              • and - here's a good one - how to analyze where a div background needs to have one or two fixed ends and a repeating middle (Augh!)

A good tutorial on slicing would come in handy. I've only run across one on the Web and it's for a table-based design. It still has good stuff in it, but it's aging. By this, I mean a long tutorial on analyzing a design to understand where you would use images and where you would use HTML or CSS. And, in the case of images, where you can optimize by making a small, repeating image and where you need to have a larger one.

How to choose between image formats (jpgs for photos, gifs or pngs for artwork). In this section, something about color ranges, as some people have expected smooth color variations over a large pixel range between colors that are separated by only a few values. Include something on adding subtle noise to break up the unavoidable banding in such cases, to produce a visually smoother look.

For Fireworks, specifically, some of the cool, vector operations that can be done with objects: joining, punching, paste inside, and masking. Masking needs a nice, friendly explanation. It seems to have an aura of being arcane, but it's easy enough to use. Masking needs to be made more accessible.

Um...okay. I'll stop now.

• 4. Re: Adobe Classroom: Interaction Design Principles
                pixlor Level 4

Dave Hogue wrote:

The team at Adobe TV is beginning to plan a new classroom series on Interaction Design, and we would love to know what topics, design principles, best practices, etc. would be most interesting and valuable to you. This series is not focused on how to use specific design tools - it is more about creating great interactive designs.

Hmm...just re-read that.

Many of the posts on this forum are by people who need help understanding how to use an application or who have a limited understanding of how the medium even works. I don't think you can "create great interactive designs" unless you have a good understanding of the medium and of the tools. It seems to me like you're going for a series in advanced theory, but there's a whole lot of room for more info in the fundamentals...which I think could benefit more people.

• 5. Re: Adobe Classroom: Interaction Design Principles
                  Dave Hogue Level 2

I'll go with the IXDA definition for now and not get into a pedantic discussion - that could be a whole, never-ending topic in itself!

"Interaction Design (IxD) defines the structure and behavior of interactive systems. Interaction Designers strive to create meaningful relationships between people and the products and services that they use, from computers to mobile devices to appliances and beyond."

The goal of the video series is to present information focused more on design principles and not on how to use the Adobe tools. There are already many articles and videos in the Developers Centers about how to use the tools, though I agree that a few more focused on specific topics would be good.

We don't want to do a lecture series on advanced topics - this is more about trying to identify and elucidate a core of best practices and design principles. Some of the topics may be more conceptual/strategic (e.g., mental models, design patterns) and some may be more tactical (e.g., communicating a sense of place, navigational systems, effective transitions, layered content, progressive disclosure.)

We have 2.5 to 3 hours for a series of videos, so this is not meant to replace a classroom curriculum - the goal is to help people make informed design decisions about the behavior of their interfaces.

Thanks for sharing your ideas! This is a great start, and I'm collecting ideas from several of the Adobe Forums as well as both new and experienced designers. I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts.

Dave