7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2010 9:47 AM by Studio North Films

Memory question

wb_martin Level 1

Somewhere in this forum (can't remember where) I saw some comments about current production issues in memory.  The gist of the post was that the production runs/lots of memory produced are smaller than they once were and that the compatibility of memory purchased now with memory purchased later of "exactly the same make/model" may be a compatibility issue in the system build.  I believe the issue was something about the compatibility of the actual "lots" of memory being an issue.

THe reason I ask is that I plan to build a system with a motherboard with room for 24GB but am considering 3x4GB for a total of 12GB as opposed to 6x2GB for the same 12 GB total.  The thinking is that I can upgrade later for the other 12GB to populate the total memory available.  (Of course, I don't even know if that even makes sense other than by simple mathematics, and the option may be totally off the table due to paired memory requirements of the MOBO or MOBOs in general.)

Any comments would be welcomed to help this "still-learning" soul along....thanks!

Bill

• 1. Re: Memory question
          magneter Level 1

I just built a system with 12GB (4x3 ) of GSkill DDR3 1600, 7-8-7-24.

System has been running nice and stable with no overclocking attempted yet for about 5 weeks. Tonight I ordered my 2nd set of the same RAM and my concerns are the same as yours. I would have waited longer to order the next 12GB but every day I wait, my concerns of compatibility are growing so I decided to just do it. I'm sure that next week when I get the chips in the system if there is any problem that Newegg will opt to help me out.

I was going to email them before ordering but I didn't have the energy tonight to explain that I would hope to swap 2 sets of 12 for 1 set of 24 if this does not work.

So here I go with another $500 gamble. I'll let you know what happens when I get them installed in my GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R.

Edit: Based on discussions I have had with GSkill sales support, they are very reasonable and I believe they will stand behind their product because they assured me that compatibility would not be an issue.

• 2. Re: Memory question
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant
            • 3. Re: Memory question
              wb_martin Level 1

Thanks Eric - that was the post!

So, the lesson here is to go ahead and buy any future-expansion memory up-front to avoid possible compatibility issues down the road.

Bill

• 4. Re: Memory question
                magneter Level 1

Just to update my last post.

I installed my second set of 12GB G.Skill ram this evening and everything is fine.

System recognized the full 24GB immediately and did not even burp.

Note on the having all 6 DIMM slots full, the Balder SD1283 was perfect for this.

The fan just misses the first slot. I will add a 2nd fan in the future when I begin to overclock.

This cooler will not mount in a horizontal position as the heat pipes conflict with the RAM.

Final system specs:

COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 Case
                GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Mobo
                i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz
                XIGMATEK BALDER SD1283 CPU Cooler
                G.SKILL Trident+ Turbulence II 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (2X = 24GB) Model F3-12800CL7T-12GBTDD
                MSI GeForce GTX 480
                WD VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA
                SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA x 5
                ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X DVD Burner
                Thermaltake Toughpower W0133RU 1200W PSU

Total here $3367

ASUS MT276HE Black 27" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor
                CyberPower PR1500LCDRT2U 1500 VA 1000 Watts UPS

Final Total $4197

IMG_0910.JPGIMG_0903.JPG

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Memory question
                  semajha Level 1

Nice build! and great to see another member using the ud3r board with no memory issues.  Let us know how the overclocking goes.

• 6. Re: Memory question
                    wb_martin Level 1

Well done!  I'm glad the memory worked out as well.

• 7. Re: Memory question
                      Studio North Films Level 3

Hi,

looking at your images, looks like you have mounted the CPU cooler fan the wrong way. you should be pushing air through the cooler.

Baz