11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 4:00 PM by the_wine_snob

Changing the duration of sill images and all transistions applied

RFENG Level 1

My question is in two parts, fist the duration length of still images.

Selecting edit then properties then selecting general shows a default still image duration.  This can be changed but it has no effect when adding images to the time line--they continue to be set to the default duration setting of 5 seconds even in a new project.  Why does this not work and why is it a settable funtion if it has no effect?  Am I doing something wrong--the manual implies the above procedure is correct but it doesn't work.

Second part of question.

If I want to add the same video effect, in this case a transistion to all images at once, is there a way to do this by selecting all images in the time line using a copy paste fuction or using another command that alllows this?  I know how to apply these one at a time but there has to be a faster way--or is there?

Much thanks in advance with any input that can be offered.

• 1. Re: Changing the duration of sill images and all transistions applied
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The change in default duration only applies to images that are imported after the change.  This should have been this case if you started a new project - or did you start a new sequence?

Adding the same transition to all clips, see automate to sequence here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7d1ba .html

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Changing the duration of sill images and all transistions applied
            the_wine_snob Level 9

There has been a little addition. One may now select the stills in the Project Panel and do a Duration change. Think that this was added in CS4.2. Before, one had to go to Edit>Preferences, make the change, then Delete the stills from the Project Panel and re-Import them. Now, that is not necessary.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I believe that the default Duration of Transitions are still locked into the Edit>Preferences, unless there has been a change there too.

• 4. Re: Changing the duration of still images and all transistions applied
              RFENG Level 1

Stan,

Thanks again for your input.

When the project is created, I don't recall seeing the preference settings until after the project opens the first time.  In that case if certain media was imported into the project panel but not in the sequence, after the duration was changed, it would be necessary to remove the media from the project panel then re-import again.  If there is a workaround to this please let me know.  It also doesn't appear that creating a new sequence would prevent the re-importing.  Could you confirm?

Thanks for the link on automating to sequence--I remember that from CS4.

The application of identical effects to media on the timeline in a sequence was something I had learned back in CS3 or maybe earlier CS4 where the effected, in this case a transition between images was applied then copied then using the paste or (Control V) command, applied to all other stills.  That worked fine but with lots of images, it ends up being a lot of "point and clicks" since the CTI must be moved to each transition insertion point before the paste is applied. 

I actually thought that I had seen someone select the remainder of the images in the sequence then apply the paste command but I was never able to make that work.  Have you heard of such a short-cut?

Much thanks again!!

• 5. Re: Changing the duration of sill images and all transistions applied
                RFENG Level 1

Thanks Bill, Is the change in duration being made in preferences after selecting the images?  I have found that even if the images are on the time line, the duration ca be changed with the speed/ duration settings as well but not sure if this has to be individually applied to each of the images.

I'll check out your suggestion!

Sent from my iTouch Pad

• 6. Re: Changing the duration of still images and all transistions applied
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

The preference only affects new imports, as you've discovered. However, you can change the duration of stills en masse in either the Project Panel/bin or the Timeline Panel by selecting them, and going to Clip > Speed/Duration. Enter your desired clip duration, and (if you do this from the Timeline Panel) optionally set the Ripple Edit checkbox if you want to remove all gaps that would be created when entering a shorter duration.

Automating to Sequence is not the best way to add transitions to a number of clips; it works, but it's sort of a kludge. Instead, select all your sequence clips, and go to Sequence > Add Default Transitions to Selection. Whatever transition you have set as default, for whatever duration is set in the program preferences, will be applied to the edit point between all clips in the sequence. Copying and pasting works, as you've found, but it's slower. You can use the Page Up/Page Down keys to jump from edit point to edit point to make it a bit faster, though. Since Premiere does not offer a means of selecting edit points (other editors do), there is no way to select multiple clips and paste; you have to use the command above.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: Changing the duration of sill images and all transistions applied
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Once the stills have been Imported, with the previous Duration, one needs to make the change to the bunch in Project Panel. You may have to poke about to check me out, as I do not have CS5, but you should be able to select all such stills in Project Panel, then Rt-click, choosing to change their Duration (this is the part that I am not 100% certain on). Prior to about CS4.2, this was not possible, and it's a feature that has been added. Before that addition, on had to Delete, then re-Import, but not any more. Nice feature.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Changing the duration of sill images and all transistions applied
                      RFENG Level 1

Colin, that is great adviceI never knew about the page up/down to land on edit points.  Much thanks for the other tips, I will try them on the current effortI like that approach the best!!

THANKS!!

Sent from my iTouch Pad

• 9. Re: Changing the duration of sill images and all transistions applied
                        RFENG Level 1

Cool Bill, this is a great tip that I will indeed check out.

Much thanks to an admired pro!

Sent from my iTouch Pad

• 10. Re: Changing the duration of sill images and all transistions applied
                          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks Bill and Colin for your corrections to my not-the-best workflow recommendations.

Colin, WOW, missed those changes.  I was CS3, briefly CS4 recently and used no still duration changes, and only CS5 for a few days.  What great feature additions.

To list what I just learned/tested:

You can change the default import behavior in preferences (like "always", only applies to images imported after the change).

You can now change the duration of one or more stills in the project bins.  You select the images and use Clips->Speed/Duration.  Those changes do not apply to images already on the timeline, but will hold for those images added to the timeline after the change.

And finally, and most excellent, you can select one or more clips on the timeline, and change the duration.  (This has a right click option.)  There is a checkbox to tell PR whether to ripple edit (push clips to the right further along if you are increasing duration, or contract if you are decreasing).

Regarding automate to sequence, this is very cool and more flexible than in the past.

• 11. Re: Changing the duration of sill images and all transistions applied
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanley,

That has been the only way for so long, and it's still that way in PrE (maybe PrE 9 will follow suit). The ability to do the change with Imported Assets is new.

I think that Colin mentioned it to me in an earlier thread.

Hunt