2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 7:38 AM by the_wine_snob

Jerky, Stop start playback

alantholland

I have recently bought a Samsung Flashcam SMX-F300. I have taken some footage and played it back in WMP and it is fine but when I import the videos in to Premiere Elements 8 they do not play properly. It starts to play then plays jerlikily and then the video stops and the audio continues.

I am using MP4 format and I have a 3Ghz processor, a 320GB hard drive with 200GB space and 2GB of RAM.

How can I fix this so that I can edit and watch my videos?

• 1. Re: Jerky, Stop start playback
          nealeh Level 5

We'll need to know more about your footage, project settings and your computer. The 'got a problem' link below explains what's needed.

• What project preset did you select when starting the project? Does it match your MP4 setting? Use the utility GSpot v2.70a to analyse your clip and post a screen capture here.
          • Do you have a red line toward the top of the Timeline? If so your previews need rendering - press [Enter] and wait for the line to go green.

For starters look at:

Also some basics:

• Install all Windows updates
          • Install latest version of QuickTime (v7.6.7 at time of writing)
          • Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites
          • Run Disk Cleanup
          • Run Defragmenter

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Jerky, Stop start playback
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale has asked some good questions. That requested info will likely hold many of the keys.

When you say "a 320GB HDD... " a red flag goes up for me. A single HDD will be a bottleneck. A second physical HDD will help in many ways.

Also, using a simple player to play back an AV file is much different, than editing that same file. The editing program must process the file through it's necessary CODEC, and get it ready for frame-specific editing. It is that processed file, that gets played back.

Two CODEC's are very processor intensive, AVCHD (one must have at least a fast Quad-core CPU), and H.264 (one can get by with a bit slower CPU, but not by THAT much). Next, the I/O (the HDD's) is always important for editing Video. One HDD will be a bottleneck. Couple that with an older CPU and either of those two CODEC's, and things slow to a crawl.

The answers to Neale's questions will help us figure out what is happening on your computer.

Good luck,

Hunt