6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2007 1:47 PM by Newsgroup_User

Additional vector shapes

TrentSC
      Is there anywhere that people might recommend where I can download additional vector shapes to import into and use in FW8?

Many thanks
        • 1. Re: Additional vector shapes
          JoeDaSilva Level 4
          You might be better served by learning how to use the "combine paths" commands.

Start by laying two vectors over one another; say an oval over top of a square. Select both shapes by either drawing a selection box over them both, or holding shift and clicking each one. Now go to "Modify", then "combine paths" and select "punch". Now you have a brand new vector shape to play with!

I've just about built an entire career on the foundation of combining paths ;-)

• 2. Re: Additional vector shapes
            TrentSC Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: JoeyD1978
            You might be better served by learning how to use the "combine paths" commands.

Start by laying two vectors over one another; say an oval over top of a square. Select both shapes by either drawing a selection box over them both, or holding shift and clicking each one. Now go to "Modify", then "combine paths" and select "punch". Now you have a brand new vector shape to play with!

I've just about built an entire career on the foundation of combining paths ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion and you're right, the punch tool is extremely useful. I just wonder whey the list of available vector shapes is so limited? Where, for example, is the triangle?
            • 3. Re: Additional vector shapes
              Level 7
              TrentSC wrote:

> Where, for example, is the triangle?
              >

That would be the Smart Polygon Tool. After you insert it, change the
              number of sides and points to 3.

SKB
              • 4. Re: Additional vector shapes
                JoeDaSilva Level 4
                Ahh, a triangle is easy! Just make a square. Now pick your subselection tool from the tool bar on the left (white pointer). select one corner of the square (this should turn your one square blue, and the others will be empty blue outlines). Now with your corner selected, hit delete on the keyboard.

Starting to look like a triangle right? Now, select the point in the triangle that looks out of place, and adjust it with the arrow keys on your keyboard to get the appropriate angle you want.

Is it a lot of fuss to make a triangle? Maybe at first. But once you get the hang of manipulating vectors you'll be coming up with extremely complex scalable shapes in no time.
                • 5. Re: Additional vector shapes
                  TrentSC Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                  TrentSC wrote:

> Where, for example, is the triangle?
                  >

That would be the Smart Polygon Tool. After you insert it, change the
                  number of sides and points to 3.

SKB

Well bugger me, I'd never have thought to look there!

Thanks.
                  • 6. Re: Additional vector shapes
                    Level 7
                    TrentSC wrote:
                    >
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                    > TrentSC wrote:
                    >
                    > > Where, for example, is the triangle?
                    > >
                    >
                    > That would be the Smart Polygon Tool. After you insert it, change the
                    > number of sides and points to 3.
                    >
                    > SKB
                    >

>
                    > Well bugger me, I'd never have thought to look there!
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >
                    Thanks but I'd rather not :)

I don't know much about MX but if there is an equivalent to Windows >
                    Others > Paths it is a way to create your own resources and go "original".