15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2010 8:19 AM by Reynolds (Mark)

hand tool move outside canvas area?

- JM - Level 3

any command keys to do this?

If not it would be helpful to be able to move around beyond the canvas borders while creating paths when the image is magnified.

also... an old request that should be put back on the list -  delete multiple paths.

thanks

• 1. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Sounds like you are not aware of something <JM>

If you go into Full Screen mode (Press your F key one time) - you can then freely drag the canvas anywhere you want, in or outside the boundaries. This will allow complete freedom while using the pen tool, and is frankly essential knowledge for anyone using Photoshop to do any kind of detail work.

• 2. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
            - JM - Level 3

Hi Mark

>and is frankly essential knowledge for anyone using Photoshop to do any kind of detail work.

It's personal preference, I use a large display with a tablet (you might too) and I find that standard screen mode is faster to work with than the full screen mode. Fortunately PS accommodates everyones workflow, and there are plenty of workarounds to bump points outside of the canvas or I have a command key setup to increase the canvas size by a small percentage.

So the request still stands for me, a method that allows you to maneuver outside of the canvas area within the standard view.

>Sounds like you are not aware of something <JM>

If I was aware of everything, the world might be too disappointing : )

regards

j

• 3. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
              Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
              and I find that standard screen mode is faster to work with than the full screen mode.

! - with a bloody slow graphics card then, if you are finding that that it makes a serious speed difference to work in Standard Mode. Last time I can remember that being any consideration at all was back in the days of Photoshop 5 on the old OS .

Ok what you are asking for is to be able to slide the image beyond the edges of the window in Standard Screen mode? Not going to happen I don't think. There are some people that LOVE that nailed to the edges feel just too much! Just think they would have to downgrade to Photoshop CS3 and use the ridiculous "Maximized" screen mode to retrieve it all over again.

• 4. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
                - JM - Level 3

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

! - with a bloody slow graphics card then, if you are finding that that it makes a serious speed difference to work in Standard Mode. Last time I can remember that being any consideration at all was back in the days of Photoshop 5 on the old OS .

no : ) 

it's a UI thing, not graphics processor, as I mentioned I find the windowed environment faster for me ( think workflow). We have different working styles and most likely different tasks. I doubt there are any Macs around since the coal-fired Quadra 900 that would slow down with the difference between full screen v. standard view.

>Not going to happen I don't think.

Adobe has done a very good job of allowing the users access to features via preferences.... on or off.

j

• 5. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
                  Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

K heres some tips that might possibly help you with your "workflow".

• With the Application fame ON, you can tile documents, and in standard Screen Mode you can drag beyond the edges of documents in exactly the way you are requesting

• Control TAB (mac and PC same shortcut for both I think) switches between documents. So you don't need to use floating windows at all to navigate.

There are already many many options allowing you to work in any way you would want.

• 6. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
                    - JM - Level 3

Hi Mark

I mentioned early in the discussion that there are many workarounds to this ( and fortunately I can avoid the application frame : ), I appreciate your help but this is just a feature request for a very minor UI tweak.

regards

j

• 7. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

OK, and its a fair enough one I guess.

• 8. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
                        retouchMOJO Level 1

I think you understand what many are pointing out here. It's already possible in several ways. The most obvious is to tap F 1 or 2 times. These ARE THE FEATURE, they are not workarounds.

Michael

• 9. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
                          - JM - Level 3

>These ARE THE FEATURE

this is a tought audience : ) Posting on the feature request area always seems to be like stepping on sacred ground.

We have 3 screen modes because they haven't figured out a single mode that would work for all situations and as UI advances these will change as it has in the past. Imagination is the only missing part in this discussion.

imagine this:

Working within the standard view, press the spacebar-shift to move beyond the image border, slide back within the image area and you snap back to the standard mode, no pixels were hurt in the process and you aren't bouncing around between 3 screen modes.

The only thing that is missing is the spacebar-shift to move outside the image area.

• 10. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
                            retouchMOJO Level 1

Oooh, I like! Thanks for expanding in description.

Side note: I found it funny you said no pixels were hurt because that's what is displayed in the title bar on my web site!

Pixels in... MOJO out!

http://retouchMOJO.com

Michael Lamy

e • Michael@retouchMOJO.com

Become a Facebook FAN http://www.facebook.com/retouchMOJO

• 11. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
                              Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

imagine this:

Working within the standard view, press the spacebar-shift to move beyond the image border, slide back within the image area and you snap back to the standard mode, no pixels were hurt in the process and you aren't bouncing around between 3 screen modes.

The only thing that is missing is the spacebar-shift to move outside the image area.

Yes thats fair enough Feature Request.

this is a tought audience : ) Posting on the feature request area always seems to be like stepping on sacred ground.

• 12. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
                                - JM - Level 3

>this is a tough audience : ) Posting on the feature request area always seems to be like stepping on sacred ground.

just kidding Mark : )

• 13. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
                                  Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

imagine this:

Yes overall something like that is a fair enough Feature Request I suppose. Unfortunately Shift Space is already used - to see what this does try zooming in closely on multiple tiled documents.

Posting on the feature request area always seems to be like stepping on sacred ground.

Yeah, I think its perhaps a bit of a problem that people (mainly me actually) have turned it this way. What used to concern me on this forum as a visitor, and still does, was that so many people were posting pretty daft feature requests. Without any knowledge that the features already exist - often better implemented already than was being asked for. Once in a while you saw versions of these badly thought out features appearing in the software.  Hard not to assume it was because some of the development team also had no idea about it.

• 14. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
                                    - JM - Level 3

>What used to concern me on this forum as a visitor, and still does, was that so many people were posting pretty daft feature requests.

I can see your point, but my preference would be to keep this as an area to dream. This should be a great resource for Adobe, even if the thoughts just spark a tangential idea. Wouldn't it be great to be wowed by CS6, not just an incremental upgrade.

>Shift Space

I meant Shift-Option-Space-Elbow-headscratch-R

best regards

j

• 15. Re: hand tool move outside canvas area?
                                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                                      I can see your point, but my preference would be to keep this as an area to dream. This should be a great resource for Adobe, even if the thoughts just spark a tangential idea

Ok, point taken.