8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2011 2:20 PM by hermi14

AVI opens in CS4 but only Audio in CS5

gyro22222 Level 1

Several files I worked with in CS4 and exported as 720x480 files open fine in CS4, but once i drag the files to the timeline in CS5, i get only audio going to the audio timeline.

These are 8 GB files.

No problem with flv files or other AVI files.

Suggestions please

• 1. Re: AVI opens in CS4 but only Audio in CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Convert to MS DV AVI type2 first.

• 2. Re: AVI opens in CS4 but only Audio in CS5
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Run your file thru Gspot and post a screendump, so we can have a look.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 4. Re: AVI opens in CS4 but only Audio in CS5
              Colin Brougham Level 6

The culprit is the Cinepak codec, a dinosaur in digital video terms. Since Premiere Pro CS5 is a 64-bit application, it requires 64-bit codecs, and since Cinepak is long-dead and not available in a 64-bit version, these files won't play as-is in CS5.

You have a couple of choices, though they'll all require transcoding or at least repacking the files. You could open them up in CS4 (Premiere or AME) and transcode them to something else (DV AVI, for example), or you might try QuickTime as your output container format; there is a Cinepak codec included with QuickTime. Theoretically, you could do a "repackage" of the Cinepak AVI into a Cinepak MOV with no recompression; the encoded content is simply copied from one file into another, with a different wrapper on it. Since QuickTime is 32-bit, and Adobe wrote a translator of sorts for QuickTime that enables its use in CS5, you might be able to work with these files still. If AME won't give you the option (though I think it will), you could look at QuickTime Pro or MPEG Streamclip.

• 5. Re: AVI opens in CS4 but only Audio in CS5
                gyro22222 Level 1

Hi Colin

Really appreciate your help.

Since Cinepac is a problem, i need some aassistance.
                My company has designed a biofeedback system which allows the user to play AVI's forward and backwards to show progress or regress in a task.

we use the cinepac codec to create avi's with keyframes each frame and simply load them forwards or backwards.

Do you of another Codec which will allow us to create an avi with keyframes each frame? The minimum I could find was every 15 frames.

Thanks

Hal

• 6. Re: AVI opens in CS4 but only Audio in CS5
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Hal,

I guess it would depend on the quality you need from the encode, and I'm assuming that you're generating AVIs from Premiere, and not from another source (which you're then bringing into Premiere). If you select Microsoft AVI as your format in the Premiere export window, and then swivel down the Advanced Settings in the Video tab, as you change the codec (at least those included in/with Premiere) you'll see that certain codecs enable manually setting the keyframe interval. Of the choices in Premiere, the only ones I found that had this option were Microsoft RLE and Microsoft Video 1; I could set both to an interval of 1 keyframe, which enabled frame-by-frame step through. These are both pretty old codecs, too, but Premiere works with them. You might test those to see if they work for your purposes.

• 7. Re: AVI opens in CS4 but only Audio in CS5
                    gyro22222 Level 1

I just noticed your post before this and am now trying the Microsoft RLE and video 1

This seems to work fine.

So first I am converting my old files in Quicktime pro through export to MOV files, and then I am importing them to CS5 and finally saving with Microsoft RLE with keyframes to 1.

Thanks so much for all the help.

• 8. Re: AVI opens in CS4 but only Audio in CS5
                      hermi14

I am having the same problem. I am trying to import an AVI file (output by the Ohio Supreme Court) that was encoded in Cinepak into Premiere Pro CS5.5 on Win7. I have tried converting it to a .MOV file and also an AVI (H.264) file using AVS Converter, but Premiere still only recognizes the audio.  Here is a screen capture of Gspot. I do not see an option in AVS Converter for converting to MS DV AVI Type 2 (Only MS AVI 1).

Supco File Gspot.png