6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2010 4:28 PM by the_wine_snob

I am having a problem with files in media cache folder related to themes in PrE7.

CrackedRib

I have PrE7/PSE7 and like others noticed my media cache folder kept growing.  In particular there were .pek and .cfa files for three files that weren't in any of my projects.  As I dug around I discovered they were Themes, ones that I never used.  As I played more I found that these were the only themes that when previewed did not have any sound.  My fear is that they are corrupt and and that is why the sound files are being created.  Can somebody check theirs and tell me if they should have sound or not?

Thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: I am having a problem with files in media cache folder related to themes in PrE7.
          CrackedRib Level 1

P.S. the three themes causing me grief are: scary halloween, autumn leaves and christmas.

Mike

• 2. Re: I am having a problem with files in media cache folder related to themes in PrE7.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

For a CFA and a PEK file to be generated, the original file must have been Imported into a Project. One might have forgotten, or might not have used the Audio, but they are not randomly generated from files that are just sitting on one's HDD.

Now, if one Deletes them, and the original files were used in a particular Project, then PrE will just regenerate them all over again. Let that Conforming take place.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: I am having a problem with files in media cache folder related to themes in PrE7.
              CrackedRib Level 1

Bill, in theory I agree with you so I did a quick test, I generated a new project and even placed it on a different HDD just to ensure some isolation.  PrE7 generated the project folders and such and immediately created these problematic .pek and .cfa files for the 3 themes listed above.  Now keep in mind, I haven't done anything yet other than create the project and they already exist.  I'm back to the possibility of corruption and suspect that the software needs audio info for its themes and since they're missing it creates these instead.  Can somebody check their copy and just simply preview the 3 themes and comfirm if there is audio attached or not?  If so, as I suspect, then I have to figure out how to correct, preferably without reloading the software.

Also, is there a way to remove a theme if it isn't used?  Maybe I can explicitly add it then remove it and clean it up that way.

Thanks,

Mike

• 4. Re: I am having a problem with files in media cache folder related to themes in PrE7.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Interesting, and thank you for both your test and for posting the results.

Now, going back to about the introduction of PrE 7, I do recall some issues with Themes. What I do not remember is exactly what the issues were, or even if they were revealed in this forum, or at Muvipix.com. Even worse, I do not recall what the solution might have been, but a few others were reporting problems with Themes, that were not used in their current Projects.

I'll do a bit of research to see if I can find the references. If you can do the same. I'm going to be looking for criteria, such as "themes," "instant movie," etc.

Just wish that my memory was better, because there was discussion on similar over a year ago.

One question: do you know if these are Themes that normally ship and install with PrE, or if you perhaps downloaded them from Adobe.com?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: I am having a problem with files in media cache folder related to themes in PrE7.
                  CrackedRib Level 1

As far as I know everything is stock from the original load.  I didn't have any luck finding any meaningful references to issues with themes.  It would be nice if somebody could confirm if the themes mentioned above do actually have audio before I try a reload of the software.  If Adobe monitors these forums as I would hope they do, maybe they could chime in with some type of acknowledgement (aware of bug but no fix or patch available...etc.)  But then again, 8 is released...7 is history...:(

Bill thanks for your help...:)

I'm going to leave the post open over the weekend in hopes I'll get the info I requested then close it.  Thanks again.

Mike

• 6. Re: I am having a problem with files in media cache folder related to themes in PrE7.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

I looked in my PrE 4, and do not have any of those. Now, PrE 7 and 8, have added some Themes. Adobe.Com (maybe that's Photoshop.com?), does have some additional Themes. The name "Scary Halloween" rings a bell, but I cannot promise that it's from Adobe.Com, or not.

I am with you - hope that a user with PrE 7, or 8, will report on what they find.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful