6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 6:57 PM by Colin Brougham

Need help with speed remapping

Andriante

So here is my question. (check pic below to see timeline)

I'm working on a timeline and I have a clip somewhere in the middle of this timeline. Now I've put the two markers which close off the area of the clip that I want in slow-motion. And then I drag the rubberband now to 50%. This causes the clip to obviously become longer.

But the problem is that it doesn't push the clip that comes afterwards, it just sort of submerges and I lose a part of the clip that I put into slow-mo.

http://gyazo.com/0cce5ab07e22897f21a25e3308a9cbb5.png Here's a picture of my timeline.

So my question is how can I make it so that the clip after is pushed forward automatically?

I know how to fix this problem with some dragging and pulling, but I want to become as efficient as I can and don't get into any bad habits.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Need help with speed remapping
          shooternz Level 6

I think this just one of those effects that needs a bit of push and pulling to make it work.

I am in the middle of the same exercise ( 2 TVCs)  and I am Time remapping (and tracking) in PPRO and CS5.

I am also using Twixtor from within PPRO

I dont think there is a really efficient tidy  way considering what we are doing.  ...Messing with the time and space continuum.,

I use a spare video  track or off the end.  Somtimes I even do this sort of thing in a separate sequence and copy it back in to maIN Sequence.  This allows some experimenting and something to go back to.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need help with speed remapping
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Time remapping a clip does not ripple the timeline, whether you're slowing it down (lengthening its duration) or speeding it up (shortening its duration). If you find that some of your desired frames are "submerged," (heh) simply hold down the Control key (or Command, on Mac) to ripple trim the head or tail and retrieve those frames.

A workflow I will often employ if I'm using a number of time-remapped clips is to create a sequence that's simply a sandbox. I drop the clip I want to remap into that sandbox sequence, and play with the time remapping until I get the effect I'm after. When it's the way I like it, I copy it and paste (or paste insert) it into my working edit sequence. In this way, I'm not going back and forth trimming the clip to reveal or hide frames, and I'm not dealing with all of the other clips making up my edit.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Need help with speed remapping
              Andriante Level 1

Thanks both of you.

So time remapping is not the best way to add slowmo? I also just realized that along with 'submerging' (;)) the audio gets all whacky and out of sync.

I'm just really looking for the most efficient way to do this. A friend of mine who's decent at PPRO said that he just uses the razor tool to cut out the part he wants to slow-mo and and then right clicks it and uses the speed/duration option.

How is that different from the speed remapping tool? I'm a bit confused on that part.

• 4. Re: Need help with speed remapping
                Colin Brougham Level 6

If all you want to do is simply slow down or speed up a clip, use the Speed/Duration settings--it's probably the simplest way to induce a speed change. This is a constant speed change, which you can also do with Time Remapping--which is what I think you've been doing.

The benefit of Time Remapping is that it allows for variable speed changes within a single instance of a clip. Say for example you want your clip to start at 100% speed, slow down immediately to 25%, and then speed up immediately to 200%. You can do this with Speed/Duration, simply by razoring the clip at the specific points where you want the speed change to occur, and then altering the Speed/Duration setting for that instance of the clip. With Time Remapping, not only can you do this without having to chop up the clip, but you can also create "ramps" from one speed to another--hence the variable speed aspect. You can even freeze a clip or reverse it, all without editing the clip into smaller pieces. This can result in a much smoother effect, but it might not always be what you're after. Time Remapping does have a bit of a learning curve, but it really is the more powerful option of the two. You just have to decide which is better for your purposes.

An additional benefit, and I might be wrong on this, but I believe that using the Time Remapping function results in (theoretically) a higher quality speed change effect due to a different algorithm or some-such. It uses some different techniques to generate the interpolated frames created in a speed change, that should look smoother than if they were done with the Speed/Duration command.

Hope the helps a bit.

• 5. Re: Need help with speed remapping
                  Andriante Level 1

Thanks a lot buddy. You explained it beautifully!

I'm curious though, I've never seen such a fast and elaborate response on a forum before.

Do you guys gain some perks if you reply with helpful answers? Or are you just super nice guys? : )

• 6. Re: Need help with speed remapping
                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                    Thanks a lot buddy. You explained it beautifully!

I'm curious though, I've never seen such a fast and elaborate response on a forum before.

Do you guys gain some perks if you reply with helpful answers? Or are you just super nice guys? : )

Glad that helped--hope it lets you achieve what you're looking for.

I'll speak for myself here, but I'll vote for #3--I have nothing else to do (Actually, that's a bald-faced lie, but this is more fun and interesting.)

Anyway--happy editing!