5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2010 8:45 AM by Günter Schenk

Changing the Testing Server

bronzino1

I have a MySql database on my Mac and I'm using Dreamweaver CS5 to generate dynamic content in PHP.

For the Site Definitions, I have Dreamweaver configured this way:

- Local Site Folder: users/bronzino1/mysite

- Testing Server Folder: Applications/MAMP/htdocs/mysite_test

- Testing Server Web URL: http://localhost/mysite_test

Here is what I am not understanding: Every time I go to test the live code on a page, it is saved to "mysite_test." If I just save the page without testing the live code, it gets saved to "mysite." I don't need two copies of every file on my machine, and I'm worried about what's going to happen when I try to test pages with pictures (which are all saved to "mysite" not "mysite_test").

Is there anyway to make my Local Site folder THE Testing Server Folder?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Elizabeth

PS - Did search the forum for an answer but I just found the same question, and some crickets.

• 1. Re: Changing the Testing Server
          Günter Schenk Level 4

Referring to the "Local folder and testing server" question you´re linking to: They should indeed be identical, that is, the "testing server" folder would have to be the "local folder" you specified.

Cheers,

Günter

• 2. Re: Changing the Testing Server
            bronzino1 Level 1

I guess my real problem is that I don't know how to change the location of the testing server folder (the location of "localhost"). It is a set location proximate to applications, rather than with the rest of my data. If I try to change the folder, Dreamweaver balks.

• 3. Re: Changing the Testing Server
              Günter Schenk Level 4

Hmm, I guees it´s better if you´d post your issues in the regular Dreamweaver Application Development forum, because I fear I can´t be of help with this, as I´m using a Windows machine and am not familiar with how such things works on a Mac.

I´m also somewhat confused about the "It is a set location proximate to applications, rather than with the rest of my data" scenario you´re describing -- in my world the traditional scenario is this:

- the "Local Site Folder" is always an absolute path and points to, say, "C:\wampserver\htdocs\whateverfolder\"

- the "Testing Server Folder" points to the very same directory

- the "Testing Server Web URL" would normally be "http://localhost/whateverfolder/", but could be different in case you´re configured the Apache Server (and your System) to rather use Virtual Hosts

It seems as if you´re explicitely tell Dreamweaver to use different physical directories (mysite vs. mysite_test), and I don´t know if this is really supported at all.

Cheers,

Günter

• 4. Re: Changing the Testing Server
                bronzino1 Level 1

Yeah, I think I chose poorly on the forum - I'm sorry about that. This seemed like a great choice at the time.

I think you might have answered my question though. What you're describing is the same setup I have, except that my "Local Site folder" points to what in the Windows world would be "c:/documents and settings/user/my documents/mysite." And that's where virtually all of my unique files, such as Word documents, webpages, pictures (including those bound for the website), etc. are located.

What you're telling me is that the Testing Server can't be moved to my "My documents" equivalent. And I suspected as much. So I will just schlep the relevant website data (mostly pictures) from "My Documents" to the Testing Server folder. Otherwise I will have website pages saved to the Testing Server location, and the pictures in My Documents, and I'm going to get confused.

Thank you again for your help!

Elizabeth

• 5. Re: Changing the Testing Server
                  Günter Schenk Level 4

Glad I could be of help despite having been rather clueless :-)

----------

What you're telling me is that the Testing Server can't be moved to my "My documents" equivalent

----------

This can´t work, because the Testing Server has to point to a folder which is capable to serve PHP scripts/pages, and by default this folder has to be located within the "htdocs" directory of your Apache installation. You could override this by enabling/configuring Virtual Hosts, but that´s a completely different story.

My advice: when developing websites with or without dynamic features such as PHP, just go for stuffing all required assets in one centralized folder within the htdocs directory -- not just because of Dreamweaver, but also because this is the only way things can work when uploading your project´s files to a remote webserver which will also be giving you just one centralized location.

Cheers,

Günter