5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2010 8:34 AM by Dave LaRonde

Remove Pulldown from 1080i59.94 to 1080p24

ColtonVideography.com

I'm testing a new Panasonic GH1, and it stores 1080p24 video in a 60i wrapper, so I need to remove the pulldown, thus returning the 1080i59.94 footage to its 24p original. Help?!

• 1. Re: Remove Pulldown from 1080i59.94 to 1080p24
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Here's how you do it:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7f33 a.html

Don't be thrown by this 29.97 stuff.  The difference between 1080i 59.94 and interlaced 29.97 lies in H&V dimensions.  Interlaced 29.97 contains, after all, 59.94 FIELDS... just like 1080i 59.94, by golly!

You have to know if this footage was shot with Advanced Pulldown or with normal 3:2 pulldown.  Once you know that, AE is very good at guessing the proper cadence.  You also need to know that the field order of 1080 video is Upper Field First.

One more thing:  if this is long-gop video, I'm unsure if AE will be able to remove pulldown properly.  You might want to think about converting it to an intraframe-compressed codec first.

Ooh, ooh, I almost forgot.  Once the pulldown is removed, this footage should have a field order of None.  And if you're taking it into Final Cut Pro, know that those geniuses at Apple erroneously refer to field order as field dominance, which is an entirely different parameter in video.  You'd think after six versions of FCP, they'd get it right.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Remove Pulldown from 1080i59.94 to 1080p24
            ColtonVideography.com Level 1

Ok, I'm in the process of getting the pulldown specs from Panasonic. I had another question. If the camera is recording 24p as 59.94i, will the 59.94i play back correctly, or will it appear to play at a different speed because of the pulldown? Or will interlacing artifacts appear? And a related question: if I edit it in another NLE and just convince the NLE that it's 59.94i footage, will it look bad or incorrect?

• 3. Re: Remove Pulldown from 1080i59.94 to 1080p24
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

If the camera is recording 24p as 59.94i, will the 59.94i play back correctly, or will it appear to play at a different speed because of the pulldown?

If your NLE plays 1080 video in real time, you'll be fine.  Advanced Pulldown will make the motion look funny, but that's because Advanced Pulldown was invented to make it easier for computers to remove it on ingest into the NLE.

Or will interlacing artifacts appear?

I'm an FCP guy, and FCP DEMANDS that you use a video monitor, not a computer monitor: its viewers don't give an accurate representation of the true nature of the video, and you see the interlacing on frames containing pulldown when you stop playing.  I don't know bout other NLE's, but no good editor would want to be without a video monitor.

...if I edit it in another NLE and just convince the NLE that it's 59.94i footage, will it look bad or incorrect?

I don't follow you.  If you're talking about 1080i 59.94 footage containing 3:2 pulldown, it will still be 59.94 -- you don't have to convince it of anything.  If you're talking about 1080i footage with PULLDOWN REMOVED, it will be at a frame rate of 23.976 fps, aka 23.98, and I don't know of a single current NLE that has trouble with that, either.

• 4. Re: Remove Pulldown from 1080i59.94 to 1080p24
                ColtonVideography.com Level 1

I'll clarify, sorry for the confusion. I was asking if I gave up and just edited the 1080i59.94 footage, if it would look normal in playback and if I used that to edit and produce videos, if the pulldown would cause any distortion or visible disadvantage.

I can now get After Effects to remove the pulldown, no problem. Now I'm having trouble rendering. When I try to set up the codec I'd like to export in (DNxHD), After Effects tells me to change the frame rate in Render Settings, not Quicktime compressor settings. That makes no sense to me. Why would you have to leave the QT compressor frame rate at an incorrect 29.97 rate?

• 5. Re: Remove Pulldown from 1080i59.94 to 1080p24
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

I was asking if I gave up and just edited the 1080i59.94 footage, if it would look normal in playback and if I used that to edit and produce videos, if the pulldown would cause any distortion or visible disadvantage.

It should be fine.  There are situations where you absolutely MUST remove the pulldown:

• You're doing a film-out
                  • You're making a 24p DVD or Blu-Ray
                  • You're making motion graphics whose motion needs to precisely match the motion of the footage
                  • You're going to post the video on the internet

If none of those apply to you, go ahead and edit without removing pulldown.

When I try to set up the codec I'd like to export in (DNxHD), After Effects tells me to change the frame rate in Render Settings, not Quicktime compressor settings. That makes no sense to me. Why would you have to leave the QT compressor frame rate at an incorrect 29.97 rate?

Well, that's confusing -- based on the above, I have no idea how you're getting your footage out of AE.  So I'll just tell you how to do it:

• Import the 24p/1080i 59.94 footage
                  • Remove the pulldown -- the frame rate should now be 23.976
                  • Drag the footage onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window
                  • Look at the comp's frame rate -- it should be 23.976, like the footage
                  • Add the comp to the AE Render Queue -- AE will set the frame rate from the comp, which will be 23.976
                  • Select the destination folder and codec of choice
                  • Render

....and that's how you do it