9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2010 8:13 AM by Jon-M-Spear

5.02 Update - still half-hearted external monitor support

Jon-M-Spear Level 4

How disappointing to find that the whole external monitor preview issue has not been addressed.  It's one of those things that wasn't broken until the release of CS3 (?) and it's never worked since.

With CS5, the MPE forces yet another choice - to use MPE without any external monitor - or use the external monitor without MPE playback.  Even with MPE disabled, you can only monitor audio through the external device  - unless, that is, you are prepared to look at a frozen Program Monoitor.

Come on Adobe - many professional editors still need that external CRT/LCD monitor.  Please get it sorted.

• 1. Re: 5.02 Update - still half-hearted external monitor support
          tclark513 Level 3

5.0.1 is working great.  Preview and External both work at the same time.  I am hooked up through the HDMI out on the GTX285.  The settings wont let me even choose external audio.  It's grayed out.

The only thing I don't like is I am used to two seperate monitors with another third external.

Can anybody tell me if I install (2) GTX285's will Premiere allow me to have two monitors for my desktop and then output to another (Third) external monitor?  Will there be any conflicts?

• 2. Re: 5.02 Update - still half-hearted external monitor support
            Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Which is my point precisely - one PC monitor plus one external monitor is not a standard production rig and not how I want to work.  Industry standard is 2 + 1  - which I was happily using from the late 90s until Adobe broke it with CS3.

I'm of the old school that I want an external CRT reference monitor so I can perform colour correction more accurately and also check the interlaced output.  Using a 2nd LCD monitor as reference does not achieve this (apart from limiting my workplace to a single monitor).

I'm surprised that more people aren't as up-in-arms about this failing of Adobe as I.  It's this failure to correct the problem that is preventing PP from becoming a fully spec'd professional editing system.

• 3. Re: 5.02 Update - still half-hearted external monitor support
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              I want an external CRT reference monitor so I can perform colour correction more accurately and also check the interlaced output.  Using a 2nd LCD monitor as reference does not achieve this

THANK YOU!

Spot on, precise statement of what is needed and wanted in every single version of Premiere.  This is such a basic feature that once it got messed up it should have been PRIORITY ONE for every single Adobe programmer (whatever program they're normally assigned to work on) to GET IT FIXED!

• 4. Re: 5.02 Update - still half-hearted external monitor support
                tclark513 Level 3

Will a second video card in your system achieve what we are all looking for?  Even though it will cost us...

• 5. Re: 5.02 Update - still half-hearted external monitor support
                  Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Not as far as I can tell without a hefty outlay.

I want to be able to output to my CRT monitor which requires composite input.  Traditionally I have achieved this via firewire to a DSR-11 and then out via composite.  Whether an HDMI card out to an HDMI HD monitor would work with PP CS5/MPE, who can tell.

Anyone from Technical Support able to throw a light on this?

• 6. Re: 5.02 Update - still half-hearted external monitor support
                    Geoff Addis

Get a Matrox MX02 mini and that will give you HDMI, Component and S outputs in addition to the two PC monitors.  Simple!

• 7. Re: 5.02 Update - still half-hearted external monitor support
                      Jon-M-Spear Level 4

...Other than the fact that it's another £500 outlay when Adobe shouldn't have broken what was once working.

• 8. Re: 5.02 Update - still half-hearted external monitor support
                        Jim Hines Level 1

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you completely. I have two computer monitors and then I pass the signal from the cpu via firewire to a Sony -GVD1000 and from that via component video to a crt/tv. I audition my audio on my computer speakers.Is that what you are "not" able to have happen?

Originally my complaint about PPro was that while monitoring on my external crt - playback stopped in my timeline window - then I believe I also discovered some issue with the audio -  something about it  crashing if I tried to listen on the external device - I can't remember because most of what I do goes to the web so I don't monitor externally as much as I use to.

Having just read your post I was reminded to try external monitoring - Everything appears to be working for the most part - all though - in one project- and so far only one - a weird thing happened - After I chose the crt as the external device - it worked - but I noticed when I came back to change it - the external crt option was missing in the drop down menu.

But - I am able to audition audio both with the external device and with my regular computer speaker system and I can see my video on my external crt monitor - the mini dv tape deck and in my timeline monitor simultaneously - with out instance - thus far.

• 9. Re: 5.02 Update - still half-hearted external monitor support
                          Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I understand the IEEE1394 patch through - that's how I have been connecting it for longer than I care to remember.  The point with CS3 and CS4, however, is that you could no longer monitor on the external CRT at the same time as on the program monitor because - as you have identified - it freezes.  You could before CS3.

Now with CS5, not only does that issue remain unfixed but, if you ARE prepared to view on an external monitor (with a frozen program monitor), you have to disable the Mercury Playback Engine.  You can't have 'em both!

Premiere Pro is a mature product, Editors shouldn't still be having to think of work-arounds or buying additional hardware when it used to work perfectly well.