16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2010 4:27 PM by Brit.b

How does one manage these new render setting for previews?

Brit.b Level 1

after preview rendering.jpg

I placed 4 HD clips from a nested into a sequence 5800 x 768 to mimic 4 side by side monitors for a multi channel video.  Each clip cut from the sequence are at 1280x720 all sitting side by side. However when I rendered the previews, they came look all squished. However when I exported the frame it looks fine in Photoshop. (I changed the uploaded image to what it looks like in Premiere in Photoshop to demonstrate the appearance in Premiere.)

I imagine that the distortion has to do with the sequence render setting which for some reason comes out to 1918 x 253...or the pixel aspect ratio? How does one manage these new render setting for previews so it looks normal in the monitor? 

• 1. Re: How does one manage these new render setting for previews?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Why the strange dimensions? When you start with 1280 x 720 and you want to simulate 4 screens wide images, it apears much more logical to use a dimension of 4 x 1280 = 5120 by 720, while maintaining square pixels.

• 2. Re: How does one manage these new render setting for previews?
            Brit.b Level 1

It seems that the pixel aspect ratio was the problem-going from 1.333 to square piles. My footage is all 1080i (x 1440). So I did a new sequence at 5120 by 720 (using the desktop editing mode) and when resizing the clips to fit the space between them was significant (image uploaded on this page.)Sequence 5120.Still001.jpg

I also tried 3840 x720, and this worked fine...except it was not quite enough space for all the 4 clips. (1080: 720 is 1.5, and 1440 divided by 1.5 is 3840). What would the correct width be? It is just a bit over 3900, I think....This is quite a puzzle for my math challenged mind

• 3. Re: How does one manage these new render setting for previews?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

When you start out with 1440 x 1080 HDV material with a PAR of 1.333 that means 1920 x 1080 with square pixels.

Now for 4 simulated screens, that would mean 4 x 1920 = 7680 pixels wide and 1080 vertical with the same square pixels. If you go from there to the dimension you want, you should be OK.

• 4. Re: How does one manage these new render setting for previews?
                Brit.b Level 1

I tried this format using square in the (desktop) sequence and it worked...until I closed and re-opened the video and it again appeared squished in the monitor when re-opened. Next I made another sequence with anamorphic pixels ratio (1.333) at 1440 (x4) -5760 x 1080, and this too looked fine. I then closed and re-opened and the previews disappeared. I re-rendered and it came out equally squished and distorted as the other times. I am totally perplexed now.

Message was edited by: Brit.b

• 5. Re: How does one manage these new render setting for previews?
                  Brit.b Level 1

The mystery continues. I simply cannot get the monitor to playback correctly with previews in the desktop sequence format in the program monitor. They continue to be distorted, as in the illustration in the first post. I checked the rendered preview files and individually they playback fine without distortion in the source monitor. However when checking the properties of the rendered preview files they are 1920x1080 even though the sequences setting for previews is 1920 by 360.

• 6. Re: How does one manage these new render setting for previews?
                    Powered by Design Level 4

Use G-Spot to take a screen capture of what the original footage is.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Maybe your sequence is not matching.

Also what format are you trying to save your final version in ?

G

• 7. Re: How does one manage these new render setting for previews?
                      Brit.b Level 1

OK, I have new different, but related set of questions. I posted again, but it was deleted and was followed by a stern warning that my question was answered and not to post again by a “John Smith”. It was not answered.

My questions are now (I have reframed the problem as I discover new aspects):

Why would the video previews disappear from the project when reopening a file (but the preview still remains in the preview folder)?

Why when I redo the preview is it rendered in a completely different setting than Sequence video preview setting? The preview setting is for 1920 x270, but it renders at 1920 x1080 when I reopen the project after the original (in the correct 1920 x270 aspect ratio) preview fails to reload with the project?

I'm not sure what Powered by Design means by "matching sequence". The final version is to be 5120 x 720.

• 8. Re: How does one manage these new render setting for previews?
                        Brit.b Level 1

Ok as I spend my Sunday on this Sisyphus –like problem, I have found new strange angle. When I push “reset” on Sequence settings > video previews; Premier deletes the preview files, but it does re render correctly at the right aspect ratio. The problem is that when I close the project and then re open it, the preview disappears and I have to go through the whole rigmarole again. I have created several different files, in case the first one was corrupt, but the same thing happens to each new project.

• 9. Re: How does one manage these new render setting for previews?
                          Powered by Design Level 4

I too am lost.

Dont know why it is squashing it after doing a render.

Also when I render the video goes SOFT.

Hard to tell with the screencap but the full screen preview in second monitor looks soft.

Before any rendering.

picture018.jpg

After rendering small WAB

picture019.jpg

Im not sure why the preview does not reload after closing the program then re-opening it.

It worked for me.  my previews reloaded after closing and re-opening.  Maybe you forgot to save.

As far as "matching sequence" I was saying that because in the first post you said footage of 1280x720 but in post 2 you said 1080i footage at 1440x1080 so I wanted to make sure what your footage really was so the correct setting for the sequence could be set.

My footage is HDV at 1440x1080i

Something is happening when you hit the ENTER key to render.  The footage is squished to 270 in the Program monitor.  Its correct on my second screen but off on the program monitor.

The problem seems that Premiere wont let me export anything over 1920x1080.

picture020.jpg

I have match sequence settings checked and you can see that I have my sequence set for 4 full HDV

Still playing around.  Anyone else with ideas.

GLenn

• 10. Re: How does one manage these new render setting for previews?